How many batteries on a 1989 D350 diesel Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgemahal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking to buy a Dodge 1989 D350 diesel. I saw it had one battery. I'm a newbie to the diesel world, but thought it should have two. There wasn't a place for a second one, if that tells the story.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Yes I'd not thought about that as I've had so many diesels .
But I have the very 1st 89 Dodge diesel purchased from a dealer down in Lampasas tx. & It only has one battery..
While I know my 2000 Dodge 24V has 2 batteries.
... I had a big IH 1086 TRACTOR it had the 6bt motor in it also . I came with 2 batteries .. Then the battery cables went bad .. The cost so much SO I Put one battery on it . It cranked .& I intended to replace it with 2 batterys .. But it continued to crank so easily . I just left it as one battery . & THEN WHEN THAT BATTERY WENT OUT . i YANKED one off a pickup. Maybe a 600amp battery & It still cranked Like my cummins do. In about 3 turns . I ran it with one top post battery for about the nest 10 or maybe 15 years ..
I bought that tractor in 1986 & sold it in 2020+.
.& My little 1972 Bronco with a 4BT cummins in it . Cranks great with one top post battery.