How to adjust tailgate latch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I had the tailgate recall done but after a month it’s much worse that before. Sometimes I can’t get the tailgate open. I lock/ unlock several times and push in while I’m triggering the handle. Sometimes that works sometimes not.
I’m on a summer long Rv trip towing my TT and the local to me dealers can’t/ won’t schedule me on short notice.
Is there a utube or write up here that will show me how to adjust?
Thanks in advance.

Raife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
When mine started to stick I sprayed a bunch of dry silicon lubricant into the latches... No issues.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
They don't go out of adjustment unless they were not tightened down. I would agree with trying Silicone Lube first. Only adjust if cleaning and lubing doesn't work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
They don't go out of adjustment unless they were not tightened down. I would agree with trying Silicone Lube first. Only adjust if cleaning and lubing doesn't work.

I already hit it with silicone lube and it didn’t appear to help. My guess is whatever they adjusted wasn’t tight enough.
I just don’t know what/ how to adjust.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I already hit it with silicone lube and it didn’t appear to help. My guess is whatever they adjusted wasn’t tight enough.
I just don’t know what/ how to adjust.
Did you watch the video. There are only two adjustments. Cables on the handle and the pins that are in the box that the lock hooks on to. If the handle and cables are working right then the pins it latches too can be adjusted. If you scroll down after watching the first video there are a bunch more that show more information and a full picture. It is really quite simple but if you cant figure it out even after watching the video i would take it to a local independent.

First picture is the pins I am talking about, second picture is the actual lock in the tailgate itself.

20230624_144559[1].jpg20230624_144608[1].jpg

Recall Video

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I watched the videos. Not positive it applies as mine is a 21 and it was only an adjustment not adding a part.
If I push in on one side of the gate and my wife pushes on the other it will open.
Meetings no my mechanic son and family at his place near Potsdam NY next weekend and he’ll bring the tools we need and we’ll get into it.
Thanks for all replies and if anyone has a link to a video for a 2021 please post.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Hopefully you don't have a tonneau cover.

Remove the Tailgate Access Panel
discover which side the latch is hanging up on

make the needed adjustment

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Hopefully you don't have a tonneau cover.

Remove the Tailgate Access Panel
discover which side the latch is hanging up on

make the needed adjustment
Tried telling him that already. Seems a step by step illustrated process is the only thing that will help. As simple as this sysrem is I get the sense the OP is not well experienced mechanically, which is perfectly understandable and experience only comes from futzing around with stuff. Hopefully his son mechanic gets it figured out for him and a little messing around with stuff helps him gain experience and confidence.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I handed my Uncle wrenches for quite some time.

Then one day my cousins & i were driving around in my older cousins 1950 Chevy, i was maybe 15 years old.
The transmission locked up, turns out it was run for quite awhile without fluid.

My Uncle said it was not a problem & we pushed it into his under the house garage.
My cousins had no interest in helping to fix it.

I stayed down stairs waiting for my Uncle, he hollered downstairs & said something like,
You know where the tools are & there is soda in the downstairs ice box.

The thing that i had trouble with, was the Closed Driveshaft :(
He talked me through that

The funny part was when it was still on blocks, i turned the drive shaft & i was worried that i had done something wrong, the rear wheels were turning in opposite directions :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I just bought some torx sockets today so if it stops raining I can look at it.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
so me taking a star drive to the latchpin and moving it a little is not the way to go?

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Tried telling him that already. Seems a step by step illustrated process is the only thing that will help. As simple as this sysrem is I get the sense the OP is not well experienced mechanically, which is perfectly understandable and experience only comes from futzing around with stuff. Hopefully his son mechanic gets it figured out for him and a little messing around with stuff helps him gain experience and confidence.
Actually I am very experienced mechanically I just wanted to see how it is supposed to be done. I know for a fact they did not remove the the panel on the gate itself because I have a tailgate mat and they didn’t remove it.
I just didn’t want to break anything cause that would screw my trip and I’m 1300 miles from home.
I did loosen and move the two studs and I got it better but still not right. The gate opens easily but it “rattles” ( not that I can hear it over the road noise) but it doesn’t fall open. At least I can open it, well three times in a row now. I’ll have my son help me dial it in this weekend.
I DO thank all who helped reply and motivate me.
I’ll advise further

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Actually I am very experienced mechanically I just wanted to see how it is supposed to be done. I know for a fact they did not remove the the panel on the gate itself because I have a tailgate mat and they didn’t remove it.
I just didn’t want to break anything cause that would screw my trip and I’m 1300 miles from home.
I did loosen and move the two studs and I got it better but still not right. The gate opens easily but it “rattles” ( not that I can hear it over the road noise) but it doesn’t fall open. At least I can open it, well three times in a row now. I’ll have my son help me dial it in this weekend.
I DO thank all who helped reply and motivate me.
I’ll advise further
I absolutely meant no offence and I get not wanting to pooch something 1300 miles from home. Hopefully with you and your son working on it you end up with a good result. All the best.

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Update: it has been working well for a week. Still a little loose when closed but I’m calling it good for now until I get back home.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Update: it has been working well for a week. Still a little loose when closed but I’m calling it good for now until I get back home.
Hi JayLeonard,

How is your tailgate doing? Have you considered going in to a Ram dealer to have them take a look? Feel free to PM us if you'd like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
The tailgate on my brand new 2019 3500 dually had an issue on the lot when I first looked at it. A tech worked on it for quite some time and made it right.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Mine goes in Tues for the recall. I hope they don't make it worse when they "fix" it.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Had the recall done to mine. I don't know exactly what they "adjusted" but it's no different than before the recall.

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Hi JayLeonard,

How is your tailgate doing? Have you considered going in to a Ram dealer to have them take a look? Feel free to PM us if you'd like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares
A dealer already performed the recall fix 2 times and it was fine for a week then got to where i couldn’t open it. At least now it works but it’s looser than it should be. Since I’m on a 4 month camping trip I’ll leave it for now.