How to eliminate drone on 6.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18 Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Does anyone have a solution to get rid or drastically reduce the drone on the 6.7. I have a 4 inch exhaust and have a flowpro twister resonator on it but it drones a lot when accelerating especially around the 2k rpm the cruising noise isn’t bad but what are other options that have worked for you all

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I put a Corsa muffler on my 2017 after running 4" straight pipe, then a Magnaflow muffler.

Neither of those options worked very well but the Corsa mod was outstanding.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That’s what happens when ya straight pipe. I’ve heard of people using 2 mufflers.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Where is your resonator located? As far forward the better. I have a resonator and a flow through muffler and have no drone but my resonator is mounted right at the downpipe

OP
OP

18 Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My resonator is right after the down pipe. I e been looking at the corsa db I may go with that

Rizkit4DBizkit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a twister and it helped significantly but I can tell it certainly smothers the flow. My butt Dyno pics up a difference but I’ve seen where they can restricted flow to the point of taking a 1000hp rig down to mid 700s if I remember right. I’ve always read different about the location and always seen the further back the better so I placed mine just before the axle bend. Had a ole gas burner titan I put kitty deletes and a long tube kooks and a Borla on. Drone was unbearable so I put a resonator just before the tip and it killed all drone and popping. Others said anything before the tailpipe was useless. May be vehicle specific but that’s what I’m going on.

I’m looking at doing a J Pipe like a Helmholtz chamber and removing my twister.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My butt Dyno pics up a difference but I’ve seen where they can restricted flow to the point of taking a 1000hp rig down to mid 700s if I remember right. I’ve always read different about the location and always seen the further back the better so I placed mine just before the axle bend.

That may be true of a 700-1000HP truck but most are no where near that, not even close. And tuners are getting + 100hp out of completely stock/intact trucks and there is a LOT more restriction in a DPF and SCR then a twister so I don't see a resonator causing any loss in HP, certainly none you can feel.

Rizkit4DBizkit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree on all points but I can tell you from experience that I could tell a difference immediately. This is what lead me to researching frothed to discover others say the same. It killed the drone and some sound but it’s not what I’m looking for as a finale solution. I’ll remove it and replace it with a j pipe once I do some more research and nail down a design.