Fix it, Trade it, Sell-It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Got one of those situations where I am having a hard time deciding do I fix my truck, trade-it while it has no CEL and otherwise drives decent, or Sell it and just wait and be patient?

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 with 165k miles on it. I just bought it recently and never had a CEL and still doesn't but i know for sure something is broken or seized (lifter) at cylinder 1 or 3. Yes, i know i should at least remove the valve covers and inspect it. The noise seriously developed shortly after purchasing. I will probably at least get the intake off to look at the VVT solenoid and check the screen for metal shavings because the oil was new when I got the truck so nothing showed in the oil change that I did when putting fresh PUP oil in. If there are shavings present, I will take a loss to avoid being the one to fork out for a new engine. Also the transmission is smooth when manually shifting and has fresh fluid but when auto shifting it's a bit rough. Assuming line pressure due to clogged filters could be the issue causing solenoids to shift inconsistently.

Anyways, i'm just wondering if I should opt for trading for maybe a newer 15/16/17 Ram or perhaps just being patient and getting a 5th Gen when I can find a really great deal. What would you do? I enjoy reading others opinions. This 2011 is my favorite body style and love the console shifter on these. I do wish i paid more attention to avoid the 5 speed but it does shift damn good in manual mode when I'm in control of shift points.

The main reason I am hesitant on paying to fix it is the truck has the 5 speed and I definitely wish it had the 6 speed. Stupid me. Secondly, i would be pissed if I replace the engine and then something happens adn I have to now address the transmission issue. You can see the 11,500 ive spent on this will quickly turn into a $20k+ truck with lots of miles.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Let's say the VVT is clean and I can diagnose it just down to fixing that sound and just needs new Cam and Lifters, would it really be worth it when the truck cost me $11,500 to purchase. Just like to know what others possibly have done and might avoid doing from their lessons learned.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well, the first question would be, are you comfortable replacing the cam and lifters yourself?
in that case, to me its a no brainer, you do the work and keep it

if you cant, or simply dont want to, well, that changes things

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Some guys here will tell you to fix it because of the new truck prices...some guys here believe these trucks should run 200K++ miles...Lots of different opinions. Me, I dump them every 2-3 years. I know that's on the other extreme end, but I can afford to so i do. I would never keep one past 100K miles....That's just me. To your question...I wouldn't "stick" someone with something that has a problem, but would have no issues trading it in like it is. You face possible expensive repairs, vs. an expensive purchase. For me it would be an easy decision....dump it.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Some guys here will tell you to fix it because of the new truck prices...some guys here believe these trucks should run 200K++ miles...Lots of different opinions. Me, I dump them every 2-3 years. I know that's on the other extreme end, but I can afford to so i do. I would never keep one past 100K miles....That's just me. To your question...I wouldn't "stick" someone with something that has a problem, but would have no issues trading it in like it is. You face possible expensive repairs, vs. an expensive purchase. For me it would be an easy decision....dump it.
Yeah, I certainly don't feel right passing on the problem to someone else especially when I feel like it was hidden from me however i think some people that never go looking for problems, Don't realize they even have on so I don't want to make assumptions.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Yeah, I certainly don't feel right passing on the problem to someone else especially when I feel like it was hidden from me
But it's fun to pass it on to a dealer...Because as you suspect, dealers hide things because they are lying scumbags. Not all dealers...But a lot of them are. That thing will end up at an auction and it's not your problem. Just don't sell it to someone.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
But it's fun to pass it on to a dealer...Because as you suspect, dealers hide things because they are lying scumbags. Not all dealers...But a lot of them are. That thing will end up at an auction and it's not your problem. Just don't sell it to someone.
lol, my luck i'll buy something and at day 91, that mf will break hahaha.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
well, the first question would be, are you comfortable replacing the cam and lifters yourself?
in that case, to me its a no brainer, you do the work and keep it

if you cant, or simply dont want to, well, that changes things
I am skilled enough, in my own opinion with enough resources and tools that I have to do it. I would only put on 2 to 3k miles each year max. The transmission is an unknown and it's not like a new valve body is that expensive. I definitely feel more comfortable replacing a valve body and doing the filters with the upgraded adapter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you mention gearing, if I remember you have 3.55's?

You know I would tend to want to fix it, and consider a transmission tune where you can find tune your shift points to avoid low rpm's. But I dont like the 3.55's, I do like the 3.92's though.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Negative sir, I do have 3.92s. I might have to fix it since I found a guy about 4 hours from me with what looks like tons of new or like new MOPAR OEM parts with what looks like the new style lifters.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got one of those situations where I am having a hard time deciding do I fix my truck, trade-it while it has no CEL and otherwise drives decent, or Sell it and just wait and be patient?

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 with 165k miles on it. I just bought it recently and never had a CEL and still doesn't but i know for sure something is broken or seized (lifter) at cylinder 1 or 3. Yes, i know i should at least remove the valve covers and inspect it. The noise seriously developed shortly after purchasing. I will probably at least get the intake off to look at the VVT solenoid and check the screen for metal shavings because the oil was new when I got the truck so nothing showed in the oil change that I did when putting fresh PUP oil in. If there are shavings present, I will take a loss to avoid being the one to fork out for a new engine. Also the transmission is smooth when manually shifting and has fresh fluid but when auto shifting it's a bit rough. Assuming line pressure due to clogged filters could be the issue causing solenoids to shift inconsistently.

Anyways, i'm just wondering if I should opt for trading for maybe a newer 15/16/17 Ram or perhaps just being patient and getting a 5th Gen when I can find a really great deal. What would you do? I enjoy reading others opinions. This 2011 is my favorite body style and love the console shifter on these. I do wish i paid more attention to avoid the 5 speed but it does shift damn good in manual mode when I'm in control of shift points.

The main reason I am hesitant on paying to fix it is the truck has the 5 speed and I definitely wish it had the 6 speed. Stupid me. Secondly, i would be pissed if I replace the engine and then something happens adn I have to now address the transmission issue. You can see the 11,500 ive spent on this will quickly turn into a $20k+ truck with lots of miles.
I just finished putting a salvage engine with 91000 miles on it into my wife's 2007 Kia Sorento with 234,000 miles on it. all in, I'm out a tad over 1600 dollars for the engine and all the fluids, plugs, and factory gaskets for exhaust and intake plenum gasket, and the heater hoses and a power steering suction hose. The time table was 11 days altogether, but it took me 6 months due to work load. Fortunately we have a 3rd car.

Was it worth it? That's subjective to yours or my particular situation. To me, it was and is worth it. The car runs perfectly, passed emissions the day after I got it running with flying colors. This car is the "EX" model, which is loaded with all the bells and whistles for the year model. Everything works.

The car is paid for, and THAT is huge to me. We know the car, and I cannot get torqued about future breakdowns. ALL vehicles break, period.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Negative sir, I do have 3.92s. I might have to fix it since I found a guy about 4 hours from me with what looks like tons of new or like new MOPAR OEM parts with what looks like the new style lifters.
so you think you can get the parts at a discounted rate too?

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
specially used cams, id be weary off...but that sounds like your typical craigslist seller

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should upload a vid of the noise will help to confirm if its a lifter. If the rest is in good shape no rust rot ect its worth fixing I had my 2011 for a long time got it up to 230k sold it before someone wrecked it. The cam was done around 170k some will say the trans sucks gearing bla bla bla I sitll like the 5 speed better then the 8 speed less issues doesnt shift all janky like the 8 speed and it for sure took more abuse.

On the other side car/truck prices are rapidly dropping at the moment you may find a better deal overall.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
With 3.92's even if you need a blue print engine its worth it imo. get it warrantied up. but avoid low rpms with that aging rfe.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blueprint makes a great product
Next time my duster needs and engine I'm calling them

I didn't realize they made hemis for our trucks too

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well they are 17000 smokes for 600 ponies, but do come with 50k mile warranty. Might be a little more steep then i would want to pay, last time I checked they were 12k, but hey we are on the pesos system now.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I have a engine problem, I am full bore rebuild if I am keeping it. Otherwise I scrap it. Just me.