How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the chance to buy a headunit with the number 68307655AG can anyone please tell me if this will go right into a 2017 ram 1500 w/ the upgraded hub and harness? Thanks for the help!

Jsmith214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I’ve been doing as much research as I can but haven’t been able to come up with a definite answer. I’m hoping someone can help. I’m about to pull the trigger on the updated/larger Screen gauge cluster from a 2018 ram 1500 and purchase a UAQ 8.4 “programmed” radio with bezel with single climate and USB harness. Can anyone give me some insight of the possibility of turn by turn navigation functioning properly in the Gauge cluster screen? Are there any steps I’m missing that I may need to take to make this work properly? The truck is a 2017 tradesman 1500 with uconnect 3.0 with 5” screen. Thanks in advance!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have the chance to buy a headunit with the number 68307655AG can anyone please tell me if this will go right into a 2017 ram 1500 w/ the upgraded hub and harness? Thanks for the help!
Nope. A Google search/eBay shows that's a new body style 5th Gen radio module with separate display screen.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I’ve been doing as much research as I can but haven’t been able to come up with a definite answer. I’m hoping someone can help. I’m about to pull the trigger on the updated/larger Screen gauge cluster from a 2018 ram 1500 and purchase a UAQ 8.4 “programmed” radio with bezel with single climate and USB harness. Can anyone give me some insight of the possibility of turn by turn navigation functioning properly in the Gauge cluster screen? Are there any steps I’m missing that I may need to take to make this work properly? The truck is a 2017 tradesman 1500 with uconnect 3.0 with 5” screen. Thanks in advance!

Radios aren't "programmed" to the truck, this is marketing hype pushed by certain sellers... The radios actually read your vehicle configuration from the BCM and configure themselves. (you'll also find that a 14-17 1500 4c UAq/UAs upgrade requires more than a basic 8.4 HVAC conversion).

The 2018 cluster should display turn by turn from the 18 UAq. Biggest issue from my understanding is that if your 17 truck is a gas truck, you get a gas cluster (vs diesel) and if you have the 8spd trans, that the cluster is from an 8spd truck also (vs 6spd & vice versa) to avoid flashing (P) error on the new cluster.

Last edited:

Jsmith214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Radios aren't "programmed" to the truck, this is marketing hype pushed by certain sellers... The radios actually read your vehicle configuration from the BCM and configure themselves. (you'll also find that a 14-17 1500 4c UAq/UAs upgrade requires more than a basic 8.4 HVAC conversion).

The 2018 cluster should display turn by turn from the 18 UAq. Biggest issue from my understanding is that if your 17 truck is a gas truck, you get a gas cluster (vs diesel) and if you have the 8spd trans, that the cluster is from an 8spd truck also (vs 6spd & vice versa) to avoid flashing (P) error on the new cluster.
So to be clear… this is a cluster with 7” screen from a 2017 donor. And I would be trying to display 2018 UAQ connect turn by turn directions on it. Aren’t the 2018 clusters different than the 2017?

Also… from what I’ve read on these posts you seem to sell what is needed for the conversion. How would I go about purchasing what I need from you?

muarchik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hello, I have been following your posts for a long time and I have a problem with updating Uconnect. Perhaps someone can tell me whether it is possible to update this version with MY17.5 and where to find the firmware? I see MY17 MY18 but not 17.5)
1699046321655.png

cdwright25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Replied to your email/submission.

It is a valid 4th Gen 4c USA UCQ radio PN but there are potential issues to discuss with your 2013 truck. I will look for your reply email.
I also have a 2013 truck, what potential issues are you referring to? The radio I am looking at is out of a 2020 truck (68422051AD). From my understanding the only benefit to getting the radio out of a 2018 is for the themes?

EDIT: I now realize that the 5th Gen Trucks have the screen separate from the receiver.

Last edited:

jqk407

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess the question is does anyone have an actual picture of the front/back of the 68528238AC unit to see if it's physically the same as previous model (68461699AC) it's supposed to replace? ... ie same 52 pin radio connector, 1 piece radio & screen, etc?

Here's a pic of the back of the 68528238AC unit. Installed it and it's good to go.

I also added an OEM Cargo Cam and Passive Entry/Keyless Go push button start while I was at it. Aside from basically removing my entire interior and all 4 door panels, it went relatively smooth.

As expected, the radio took overnight to normalize. The cargo cam was the last thing to start working, but everything is working 100% now.

Thanks to @Mpgrimm2 and @DoughRat19 for all the help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231113_174436_Gallery.png
    Screenshot_20231113_174436_Gallery.png
    919.8 KB · Views: 12

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
From my understanding the only benefit to getting the radio out of a 2018 is for the themes?
The main reason to upgrade to a '18 or newer radio (UAS/UAQ) is for the AndroidAuto/CarPlay support. The factory navigation leaves much to be desired.
If I remember correctly the '13 (and '14) trucks had issues with the heated seats and steering wheel "buttons" on the radio working, they would be grey and not function(the physical buttons on the center console still work).

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Here's a pic of the back of the 68528238AC unit. Installed it and it's good to go.

As expected, the radio took overnight to normalize. The cargo cam was the last thing to start working, but everything is working 100% now.
Got a picture of the OEM side sticker with Panasonic Internal model # ? (ie, maybe ... CN-SC2DNxxx )
& What application version?

jqk407

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got a picture of the OEM side sticker with Panasonic Internal model # ? (ie, maybe ... CN-SC2DNxxx )
& What application version?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231114_080353_Gallery.png
    Screenshot_20231114_080353_Gallery.png
    586 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231114_080533_Gallery.png
    Screenshot_20231114_080533_Gallery.png
    739.2 KB · Views: 16

cdwright25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I also added an OEM Cargo Cam and Passive Entry/Keyless Go push button start while I was at it. Aside from basically removing my entire interior and all 4 door panels, it went relatively smooth.

Thanks to @Mpgrimm2 and @DoughRat19 for all the help!
Do you have a link to the thread for the Cargo Cam install?

jqk407

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a link to the thread for the Cargo Cam install?
I don't recall seeing a thread for the cargo cam install. I got instructions from the builder of the wiring harness I used.

Basically, it's install CHMSL/Cargo Cam, run wiring harness, and program BCM with alfaobd to the following:

VehConfig 1 - CHMSL Camera = "Yes"
CBC Features - LED CHMSL Lamp Present = "Yes"

mrlcrosl

Reaction score
Hello. I know this is a RAM forum, and I apologize in advance (I have a Jeep Cherokee KL). But as far as I understand, the UAQ radios were the same everywhere (only the mountings differed).My question is, is it possible to reflash the radio to the European version? I currently have the American firmware. I found firmware with names like Uconnect UGQ EMEA Market (EU), but I'm not sure if they will install correctly. Thank you!

Cdelle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Amazing thread. quite confused now though.

I have a Canadian 2016 ecodiesel outdoorsman with the 8.4 screen no Nav and I also have dual control temperature. I have bucket seats with a center console.
Also a backup Camera.

I was thinking my truck was burning oil and was about to get rid of it but My buddy a diesel mechanic says its just running a little rich.

SO I AM KEEPING IT.

Celebrating with finally upgrading the radio. Thought I had a clue but now I am quite confused as to what I need for a ecodiesel. Seems the more I read the more confused I get.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Amazing thread. quite confused now though.

I have a Canadian 2016 ecodiesel outdoorsman with the 8.4 screen no Nav and I also have dual control temperature. I have bucket seats with a center console.
Also a backup Camera.

I was thinking my truck was burning oil and was about to get rid of it but My buddy a diesel mechanic says its just running a little rich.

SO I AM KEEPING IT.

Celebrating with finally upgrading the radio. Thought I had a clue but now I am quite confused as to what I need for a ecodiesel. Seems the more I read the more confused I get.

Thanks for any help.

I upgraded the radio in my 2016 eco diesel to gain Android Auto. The fact that it is a diesel doesn't have any impact on the radio upgrade. What you need depends on your current equipment.

Which radio do you have?
What climate control?

I have a US truck that had the 8.4" non-nav with the auto climate control. I used the following for mine:
UAS from a wrecked 2018 1500
Wiring harness from M2Mods
USB-C hub from a 5th Gen Ram as it was significantly cheaper than the other options (just requires trimming a tab on the usb connection so it can fully seat)
Designed and 3d printed a faceplate for the hub

Cdelle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I think I have the same truck.
I have the 8.4 non nav and auto temp with the driver and passenger temp settings.
Seems I have the same setup as you. I have a 3d printer. Not sure if it works(been a while.).
Can you use 8.4s from 2018 through 2022 or are we limited to 2018 units?
thanks much for the help. You have cleared a lot up. I was really worried about the ecodiesel issue (habit lol).

Bron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Screenshot_20231129_210032.png

On the back of this is 2 mini USB ports. what are both of them for. i plugged my factory connector into the bottom one. as the one above it the female connector is backwards. I noticed that my phone drains faster than its able to charge while connected to android auto :( im wondering if i plug the mini usb into the top one if i would get more power out of the USB port? maybe? any info would be great. Everything is working fine!

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I think I have the same truck.
I have the 8.4 non nav and auto temp with the driver and passenger temp settings.
Seems I have the same setup as you. I have a 3d printer. Not sure if it works(been a while.).
Can you use 8.4s from 2018 through 2022 or are we limited to 2018 units?
thanks much for the help. You have cleared a lot up. I was really worried about the ecodiesel issue (habit lol).

2018 through 2022 should work as long as the newer ones are a 4th gen (classic) and not a 5th gen. Here is the adapter I designed to hold the USB-C hub in the center console. I basically cut straight across from the square hole to the round on top and bottom and this adapter slid in to hold it in place. I was hoping it would friction fit and stay in place but I did end up applying a little glue to get it to stay.

Viperman21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need some advise please. I have a 2016 2500 diesel Laramie/Longhorn. I want to upgrade to apple car play and navigation. What part number do you recommend on the radio unit. Is this a good part number 68331631AH

Or this unit I found will this work?

Attachments

• IMG_2516.png
    IMG_2516.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 10