How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have been working on it since last night, but I was able to get SiriusXM Guardian activated. It took some finagling and a little bit of paperwork. Because the radio was in a 2019 it carried over and shows up as a that even though it’s installed in a 2016. It is incredibly flaky at best. Assist works occasionally. I get error running IVA application on the radio about half the time. The iOS app works to some extent. Location works 100% of the time. Remote gets incorrect PIN intermittently. Vehicle Info does not work.

00384d995f301b2947d503034a2f6b4e.jpg3c7cc61705b28d8dec5d9c7042e9889f.jpg09338a9c9101b3bc5138b519c22d4ecf.jpga1a6ba3f8e94091cf7eb503e3641906e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also got them to activate the Sirius Guardian on the 2018 UAQ (using the donor vin) I swapped into my 2018 that didn't even come with BT. It didn't seem to do anything at all like it wasn't getting a signal even thought I added the sharkfin and the correct cables. I wonder if there is going to be a way to fully activate Guardian in a vehicle that never had it. What radio did your truck come from the factory with @scott_intx ?

scott_intx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also got them to activate the Sirius Guardian on the 2018 UAQ (using the donor vin) I swapped into my 2018 that didn't even come with BT. It didn't seem to do anything at all like it wasn't getting a signal even thought I added the sharkfin and the correct cables. I wonder if there is going to be a way to fully activate Guardian in a vehicle that never had it. What radio did your truck come from the factory with @scott_intx ?

My truck is a 2016 w/8.4 ra4. The 2019 UAS gets great signal strength, it’s like the issue is on the server side and has something to do with a mismatch VIN since mine originally had the older version of Uconnect acesss.

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the 2019 UAS out of a Ram Classic, Delphi branded?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
My truck is a 2016 w/8.4 ra4. The 2019 UAS gets great signal strength, it’s like the issue is on the server side and has something to do with a mismatch VIN since mine originally had the older version of Uconnect acesss.

Is the 2019 UAS out of a Ram Classic, Delphi branded?
Yeah. What's the PN on that 19 classic radio? Same as the 18's/OP?

M² Mods.

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So has anybody ever figured out a way to wire up the USB hub so we can be mounted in the Dash
Like this I have a manual and this was just keep the wire out of the way better

C6C58CF9-E550-4474-A8C7-C362534BBB40.png

Rudey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Finally got my install complete thanks Grimm for the harness!

One update about the 2019 USB Media hub. It appears that they have slightly modified the USB cable connector. I had to shave down the front of the connector in order to have it seat all the way into the hub. Very minor, but figured I would share

Clip not seated
. IMG_0100.jpg

Before
IMG_0101.jpg

After
IMG_0103.jpg

Sergio Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l cummins
I bought part of the center console out of a 2018 compass and it included media hub, 12v charging port with illumination and part of the wiring harness. So i trimmed around the media hub on the compass console, and used it as a bezel to cover the ugly gap that shows when installing a compass media hub. I also decided to use the 12v charging port from the compass since it has illumination. I used part of the old compass harness to add illumination to my media hub and charging port. Turns out the compass has white illumination. Doesn't look bad. Kinda matches with the cluster. What y’all think? Heres a few pics of how a ran the wire to the hub and how it looks lighted up. I tapped into pin 8 on trailer brake like mentioned above, to get power to hub and port.

5E42BA3E-DB18-42DE-9983-91B2B497B945.jpeg

3DA875E0-BE91-4AD6-A57A-EFE1B872463C.jpeg

238778AA-430A-4693-A002-41CD0D449464.jpeg

430163B0-4388-4BFF-8D2C-3D93995C3DEC.png

Rudey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
A couple strange issues in my recent UAS install. Wondering if this has been covered before and my searching skills are just horrible?

1) The display does not dim with headlights. When I go into settings to adjust the brightness in manual mode, I can’t select the headlights option.

2) CarPlay navigation seems way off, it tracks my movement, but seems about 200 yards to the right of the route. Pretty much unusable in congested areas. Using the iPhone not plugged into CarPlay works perfectly.

3) system information seems to be missing a bunch of information.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
So, installed UAS radio a few months back, everything worked as expected, android auto was awesome, etc, etc. But over the past few weeks, my android auto experience has sucked. Tried different USB cable, tried resetting my phone to stock, checking various connections, etc. I even reached out to Mike Grimm for a different harness (need to mail back to him, now that I think about it - doesn't appear it was the harness!) and about to switch out USB hub itself, just in case....

So the symptoms are - it looks like the phone is losing its USB connection, cycling through charging, then not charging, 2-3 times over the course of 10-15 seconds, and then it settles down to either a trickle charge or not at all (going through the media hub). Anyone else have this issue, or other wierd issues with Android auto?

I hooked wife's iphone up, carplay starts right up, so thinking it is more my phone, but well, WTF, it is a pixel 3XL, only about a year old, so it should work - has most current updates, etc. I even thought about uconnect updates, but well, uconnect site says i am not eligible for an update, so unless there is a mirror site out there for uconnect, pretty sure I have to blame my phone, because that is the only thing that hasn't changed.

Works flawless through bluetooth, but I went through the whole journey to get android auto, and it just doesn't work.... Sometimes I can disable it, then re-enable it, and connect, but next time I cycle the truck, back to broken... frustrated, sorry for rambling!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, installed UAS radio a few months back, everything worked as expected, android auto was awesome, etc, etc. But over the past few weeks, my android auto experience has sucked. Tried different USB cable, tried resetting my phone to stock, checking various connections, etc. I even reached out to Mike Grimm for a different harness (need to mail back to him, now that I think about it - doesn't appear it was the harness!) and about to switch out USB hub itself, just in case....

So the symptoms are - it looks like the phone is losing its USB connection, cycling through charging, then not charging, 2-3 times over the course of 10-15 seconds, and then it settles down to either a trickle charge or not at all (going through the media hub). Anyone else have this issue, or other wierd issues with Android auto?

I hooked wife's iphone up, carplay starts right up, so thinking it is more my phone, but well, WTF, it is a pixel 3XL, only about a year old, so it should work - has most current updates, etc. I even thought about uconnect updates, but well, uconnect site says i am not eligible for an update, so unless there is a mirror site out there for uconnect, pretty sure I have to blame my phone, because that is the only thing that hasn't changed.

Works flawless through bluetooth, but I went through the whole journey to get android auto, and it just doesn't work.... Sometimes I can disable it, then re-enable it, and connect, but next time I cycle the truck, back to broken... frustrated, sorry for rambling!

Try cleaning out the USB-C port on the Pixel. Might be some dust, dirt, whatever in there. Seems to be a common issue according to the Pixel reddit group.

IMHO at this point it sounds more like a phone, charge port and/or cable issue rather than a UAS issue.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I agree - very aggravated with my phone right now. Cleaning charging port is free, so will do that too. Also ordered 2 new 3 foot cables to see if a new USB C would make a difference. I know it is a connection issue, just not sure where... I have a hub on order too - so before I'm done, will have swapped everything but phone! And that might happen too, if I get annoyed enough

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree - very aggravated with my phone right now. Cleaning charging port is free, so will do that too. Also ordered 2 new 3 foot cables to see if a new USB C would make a difference. I know it is a connection issue, just not sure where... I have a hub on order too - so before I'm done, will have swapped everything but phone! And that might happen too, if I get annoyed enough

FWIW I just bought a Pixel 3XL a couple weeks ago (I know, a year old phone but Im not paying 1K+ for a Pixel 4) and really like it.

Granted, it replaced my 5 year old Nexus 6P......

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Loved the pixel 3xl, waterproof, good performance, clean android install - so imagine my aggravation when this awesome device just stopped working. I was like a kid, so happy that all the toys worked, and then it was like some bully took it and smashed with a hammer, LOL! Then some other stuff broke on truck, all in short order - went from loving truck to "this *************" for a few weeks. i'm on the rebound now - but it was an annoying streak for like 2 months!

In the past 2 months....
Batteries crapped out - well, they're 5 Years old, it was time
back window glass - self inflicted wound with 5th wheel (sliding hitch in travel vs. pushed back) stupid, stupid, stupid - won't make that mistake twice.
multiple engine codes - was turbo actuator, replaced under extended warranty
thrown pulley, took out radiator fan shroud in process - replaced under extended warranty

and - I'm aggravated by android auto, LOL! all this stuff will pass, but was pretty bitter for a few weeks.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya. I have 2 annoyances with my truck, both greeted with "normal characteristic" from the dealer. My truck is still under factory warranty (I also have MaxCare Lifetime) so if something really does happen Im sure it will be covered, its just annoying having to live with them until something really does happen.

I waste my time waiting, they find a truck that kinda sorta maybe has a similar issue (but it really doesnt), say its normal and walk away.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Same issue here with a Samsung Galaxy S7. Worked OK for a while and then started having issues like you describe. Did basically the same troubleshooting you did with no real solution.

I switched to an iPhone. The experience was much better but not without its issues. After about a week, Amazon Music shows and error "Can not connect. Try again later". After that I get a black screen only for Amazon Music. Text, phone, Apple Music, etc all work fine. I can use the USB soft button on the UAQ to use that interface to operate Amazon Music. After a day or two the Carplay UI decides to reconnect and Amazon Music works again with the Carplay UI. I think it is something with the UAQ because over those days there are a number of key on / off and phone disconnect / reconnect. I have not restrted the iPhone so it leads me to think it is the UAQ.

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I had a problem with my Iphone not wanting to connect after CarPlay had been working great previously. The Apps screen has one called Projection Manager. If you select this app and then select your phone it should take you to a screen that lets you Forget Device. I did this and let my UAQ rediscover my phone when I plugged it back into the USB hub. CarPlay been working for about a week since I did this.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I had a problem with my Iphone not wanting to connect after CarPlay had been working great previously. The Apps screen has one called Projection Manager. If you select this app and then select your phone it should take you to a screen that lets you Forget Device. I did this and let my UAQ rediscover my phone when I plugged it back into the USB hub. CarPlay been working for about a week since I did this.

I will try - I found that in my settings, but wasn't sure what it did. I did that once, seems like worked for a few days & then nothing. For a few weeks, i could disconnect the USB hub in my jump seat, then reconnect it, it would work again for a few days, then crap out. I have been cruising the android forums, seems like issues are all over the map - nothing dodge specific, but as a few have pointed out, seems like a connection somewhere is poor. Just irritating.

At one point, I got a message on my phone saying that "android" has protected me from an error - time mismatch with head unit - and often I get a message on the radio itself that there was a problem with android, disconnected. So most paths lead to my phone or a bad connection. Going to do it the way I did in the army - keep swapping stuff til it works! I

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Great tip, thanks. I have forgotten about that menu option since it didn't appear to do much. I'll give it a try next time Amazon Music glitches out which should be in a few days if the pattern holds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Island-cowboy