How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nobser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi!

Does anybody have a solution for the really poor rear cam image quality? It is very dark and blurry, really bad compared to the RA4...

I finally got all other things up and running here, too. Heated/vented seats, correct settings menu, metric units, DAB radio... (Sorry for the German screenshots ;) )

I also removed the infotainment harness. It does not solve the settings menu problem, because that needs some additional CAN manipulation.

Thanks for anyone here in the forum making that possible!

Norbert

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So this excessive voice volume i'm experiencing, is this a symptom of the retrofit? or a symptom of poor coding in the firmware like the muddy sound quality?

If this is a symptom of the retrofit, is there a fix? because it's pretty obnoxious having Google or the Uconnect lady yelling at me every time a text message comes in or navigation comes on.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So this excessive voice volume i'm experiencing, is this a symptom of the retrofit? or a symptom of poor coding in the firmware like the muddy sound quality?

If this is a symptom of the retrofit, is there a fix? because it's pretty obnoxious having Google or the Uconnect lady yelling at me every time a text message comes in or navigation comes on.
Is it a volume setting that is controllable from your phone?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Is it a volume setting that is controllable from your phone?

Nay, the Uconnect voice is definitely within the radio, I found a navigation voice volume and turned it all the way down from max to 2, and it didn't really make a difference. I know with my old RA4 i just had to adjust the volume while she was speaking, but that only seems to adjust the master volume on this 4C and doesn't change the voice that comes out of the Driver side dash speaker, and on top of it being too loud it's super distorted from being so loud.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I was playing with the radio a bit and I seem to have gotten the voice volume to a bearable level. I don't know if it's related or not but to combat the boomy sound with this latest firmware I turned the bass all the way down. I then played with the navigation volume and setting it on 1 or 2 is acceptable now.

I know the navigation guidance volume displays as a range of 0 - 15, but in actuality it's more like 0, 15 - 30. I'm assuming this is all related to the bad firmware and will hopefully be ironed out with a proper firmware update.

Is it possible to roll back the firmware on these radios or will they reject the files as out dated?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I was playing with the radio a bit and I seem to have gotten the voice volume to a bearable level. I don't know if it's related or not but to combat the boomy sound with this latest firmware I turned the bass all the way down. I then played with the navigation volume and setting it on 1 or 2 is acceptable now.

I know the navigation guidance volume displays as a range of 0 - 15, but in actuality it's more like 0, 15 - 30. I'm assuming this is all related to the bad firmware and will hopefully be ironed out with a proper firmware update.

Is it possible to roll back the firmware on these radios or will they reject the files as out dated?
Nope, no roll-back...

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Nope, no roll-back...

Yea I figured that was the case, having the ability to roll back the firmware would've been too easy... I guess we wait for Uconnect to get their assess in gear and fix it, but my guess is they'll fix the audio and break something else based on their track record of half baked updates.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yea I figured that was the case, having the ability to roll back the firmware would've been too easy... I guess we wait for Uconnect to get their assess in gear and fix it, but my guess is they'll fix the audio and break something else based on their track record of half baked updates.
Their release schedule leaves something to be desired when it comes to software fixes.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Their release schedule leaves something to be desired when it comes to software fixes.

For the amount of time they take between updates you would think their software would be bulletproof

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey just trying to help where I can. Lol

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion!, MTC to ATC Mod, OEM Remote Start

So here's the story on transfering the Sirius trial subscriptions. The trial stays with the radio cuz they only know what vehicle they think it is in. I had them add the UAQ to my existing RA1 trial account so I continue to get the trial 1yr/5yr trials for XM/Traffic Link/Nav for free. If you don't already have an account but have a radio with a trial subscription, just go on line and open an account for free using the radio code. The account will tell you what's left on the trial and you're good to go!

phreak480

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So here's the story on transfering the Sirius trial subscriptions. The trial stays with the radio cuz they only know what vehicle they think it is in. I had them add the UAQ to my existing RA1 trial account so I continue to get the trial 1yr/5yr trials for XM/Traffic Link/Nav for free. If you don't already have an account but have a radio with a trial subscription, just go on line and open an account for free using the radio code. The account will tell you what's left on the trial and you're good to go!

That's about how I did my 2014 Ram when I bought her used, I took the trial on the Sat radio and it didn't touch the trial on the nav traffic. Did the same in my VW when I upgraded to a better factory radio in it. It actually had some free time left on the music side so when that ran out I picked up the sub for it and the nav traffic trial remained.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So i got a handle on the Nav & voice volume on my 4C and if i turn it down to 1 - 2 it's good, but now i've discovered that every time i shut the truck off and turn it back on all the Voice volume settings go back to Max... Anyone else experience this?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So i got a handle on the Nav & voice volume on my 4C and if i turn it down to 1 - 2 it's good, but now i've discovered that every time i shut the truck off and turn it back on all the Voice volume settings go back to Max... Anyone else experience this?
What Application version is on your radio (dealer mode) and what's the PN on the back?

M² Mods.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
59NPMgT8B1FwWiEBqLfh71HMew70FGwNbHPnjLIQQ8Qg=w2400.png
uq5_OoD3cBMQvbkWqbDTP4j1E-xB7B9xWT06X_9s1QLw=w2400.jpg

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Last edited:

Jaywoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 & 2024
Engine
Both Cummins
Might be a dumb question, but is there a way to update the firmware on these? This looks pretty old and it's also Canadian. Not sure what differences there are.

medium800.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Might be a dumb question, but is there a way to update the firmware on these? This looks pretty old and it's also Canadian. Not sure what differences there are.

medium800.jpg

Go by the application version on the UAx radios. You are on v19.9 which is a good one to have and fairly recent (officially).

v21.9 has the audio EQ issues
v22.5 is barely out, and not much known about it.

Basically, you'd need the VIN of a 2018 Canadian ram that has the same model of radio (UAQ or UAS) to use for an update download from the uConnect Update site. (& No one else has used the vin yet)

M² Mods.

Jaywoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 & 2024
Engine
Both Cummins
Go by the application version on the UAx radios. You are on v19.9 which is a good one to have and fairly recent (officially).

v21.9 has the audio EQ issues
v22.5 is barely out, and not much known about it.

Basically, you'd need the VIN of a 2018 Canadian ram that has the same model of radio (UAQ or UAS) to use for an update download from the uConnect Update site. (& No one else has used the vin yet)

M² Mods.

I was looking at the 17.43.44 I guess. If 19.9 is good I'll leave it alone. The Canadian version is probably nicer and more polite than the American versions. :)

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
FYI,
You have a newer application version (v22.5) than everyone else (21.9) that has the audio EQ sound problems. You should post up in the UAQ fw problem thread...

UConnect Software Update Received--What's in it?.

** How's the radio/sxm sound quality otherwise? **

M² Mods.

The sound quality sucks on all inputs, super muddy / boomy. Sounds like somebody installed a walmart 8" sub and they're over driving it on 0 ohms.