How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys, I just installed a 2018 UAQ in my 2016 Ram 1500 Sport. Everything seems to be working perfectly, I didn’t need to make any changes with Alfaodb yet.

I do have a question though, my truck is a Canadian import so it doesn’t have any of the travel link features, and I don’t have the buttons on the mirror. When connecting the radio my truck only had 2 out of the 5 antennas that hook up to that radio. I had the yellow, and white. I don’t care about Travel Link and was wondering if I would be able to disable it without any unwanted side effects? The reason I want it disabled is, it is in my dock at the bottom of the radio and I can’t get it out of there. I can move it side to side but can’t remove it.

What do you guys think?

So far I am loving this new radio, it sounds better (maybe my imagination) it looks better and it is so much more responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should be able to replace the icon but dragging a new one from the APPS list...

TravelLink should be disabled in your BCM by default unless you turned it on yourself using AlfaOBD (SDARS TravelLink Present = YES /NO). You may just need to pull the radio fuse near the brake booster to force a reset to clear it. Or just want a while longer ( up to 48 hrs)

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@bubbasneed
You should be able to replace the icon but dragging a new one from the APPS list...

TravelLink should be disabled in your BCM by default unless you turned it on yourself using AlfaOBD (SDARS TravelLink Present = YES /NO). You may just need to pull the radio fuse near the brake booster to force a reset to clear it. Or just want a while longer ( up to 48 hrs)

M² Mods.

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@bubbasneed

M² Mods.

When I installed the radio it would not let me drag that icon out of the dock or drag a new one on top of it. I went out Sunday to try again and it let me this time. Actully the icon went away, I guess since I didn't turn it on with AlfaOBD the setting finally updated on the radio. So it is gone now and everything seems to be working great. This is such an awesome upgrade.

Now I just have to come up with a way to mount the hub and make it look factory. I have the center console bucket seats, and the Ram hub currently, but may order the compass hub and try that one. It is crazy that Ram doesn't sell the insert piece from the 2018 center console, that would make things so much easier and it would look factory, but you have to buy the entire arm rest that cost $500.

Thanks for the help and the wiring harness @Mpgrimm2

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey so I put a UAS into a 2018 2500 Tradesman, however the USB's are not connecting to the head unit. I pulled the radio out and checked the plug to make sure it was installed and it was, and the USB's have power and charge but wont play music or allow carplay.

Anybody else run into this problem.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey so I put a UAS into a 2018 2500 Tradesman, however the USB's are not connecting to the head unit. I pulled the radio out and checked the plug to make sure it was installed and it was, and the USB's have power and charge but wont play music or allow carplay.

Anybody else run into this problem.

What was the part number off the radio. There was a few problems that people received a Cherokee radio(which fits the ram without a problem) and had power with the USB port but no car play or android auto. When they swapped the usb hub to the new hub everything worked fine. For some reason some people have had problems with the factory hub with the new radios. Might want to give a upgraded hub a try. 90% positive it would solve your problem.

New hub PN 68328704AC. They run about $95

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If your current 2018 hub shows an icon of a USB stick it is not car play compatible. It works for android only. You will need the PN# listed by @Lawsuit11

th.jpg

This hub is for Car play

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When I installed the radio it would not let me drag that icon out of the dock or drag a new one on top of it. I went out Sunday to try again and it let me this time. Actully the icon went away, I guess since I didn't turn it on with AlfaOBD the setting finally updated on the radio. So it is gone now and everything seems to be working great. This is such an awesome upgrade.

Now I just have to come up with a way to mount the hub and make it look factory. I have the center console bucket seats, and the Ram hub currently, but may order the compass hub and try that one. It is crazy that Ram doesn't sell the insert piece from the 2018 center console, that would make things so much easier and it would look factory, but you have to buy the entire arm rest that cost $500.

Thanks for the help and the wiring harness @Mpgrimm2
They do sell the insert for the 2018 console, that's what I swapped into my 17' console.

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They do sell the insert for the 2018 console, that's what I swapped into my 17' console.

Do you have the middle jump seat or the center console? If it is for the center console please post the details I would love to buy one.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Do you have the middle jump seat or the center console? If it is for the center console please post the details I would love to buy one.

I'm sorry I have the jump seat not the full center console. The jump seat console they have the insert from a 2018 available.

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What was the part number off the radio. There was a few problems that people received a Cherokee radio(which fits the ram without a problem) and had power with the USB port but no car play or android auto. When they swapped the usb hub to the new hub everything worked fine. For some reason some people have had problems with the factory hub with the new radios. Might want to give a upgraded hub a try. 90% positive it would solve your problem.

New hub PN 68328704AC. They run about $95

I dont have the part number with me for the radio but Ill be damned, my hub has the two different symbols so it looks like I'll need the different hub.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMG_20190520_202821417.jpg got the 2019 radio.installed and it powers up still tracking down unlock code.everthing hooked up except the purple fakra gps plug was thinking these things were universal however i was able to hook it up by removing the clip connector.so far it says no backup cam aval. and although the climate works it doesn't show anything on the hot and cold slider( i used a older hvac module as well as a 18).i don't know if this is due to the radio being locked or not .i'm thinking not as the functions can be used.also the temp is showing c instead of f.the donor truck was an american truck i don't know what gives there also the donor window sticker shows 8.4 4c but then also the 12 inch display at a loss on that one unless the window sticker was wrong or the gave me the wrong vin.resetting the bcm and waiting for the unlock code i will post tuesday but so far looking to be a no go on 4th gen body style trucks

IMG_20190520_202913802.jpg

IMG_20190520_203014629.jpg

woofie2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 v6
This will help from the recent uConnect v21.9 update thread...

M² Mods.
Go into dealer mode and tell us what the application version is (not fw version).

(Driver side) hot +cold + front Defrost for 6-10secs

The UAx will likely need to be on application version 18.14 or higher.

What is the PN of the radio?
( 68331631Ax ? (UAQ) )

M² Mods.
Found a lab menu on my 2018 panasonic radio (not nav),
press the (Driver side) hot + cold (up down arrows) + Tune/Browse/Enter/Scroll button for a few seconds
(gives more diagnostic info on radio signals)

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
unlocked the radio.it played but no back up camera,steering wheel control or voice commands so a no go on 4th gens.got lucky they took the return because it was listed as a nav radio and wasn't.to bad as this radio is 700.00 new from mopar.

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I have read through this whole thread and may have missed something. If you install a UAQ in a 2017, how do you update the maps on the GPS?

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have read through this whole thread and may have missed something. If you install a UAQ in a 2017, how do you update the maps on the GPS?

If you have a donor vin you can either buy the update from FCA(expensive think it’s like $100 or more). Or if you’re lucky someone could possibly share their map update file

—2018 Ram 1500—

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Looks like @Aprim bought a
68283242AA UAQ 4C Nav radio (vs 68331631Ax listed in OP)... Does anyone recognize that PN & what vehicle it's from?

Edit:
I know 68283240AA is mid 2017.5 year (MY17.5) Jeep Compass USA UAQ radio ... so it's possible it's a Jeep Compass radio for another country?

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like @Aprim bought a
68283242AA UAQ 4C Nav radio (vs 68331631Ax listed in OP)... Does anyone recognize that PN & what vehicle it's from?

Edit:
I know 68283240AA is mid 2017.5 year (MY17.5) Jeep Compass USA UAQ radio ... so it's possible it's a Jeep Compass radio for another country?

M² Mods.

When searching it on google. The only websites that pop up are in German. So my guess it’s a UAQ from a FIAT vehicle in Germany.

—2018 Ram 1500—

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just a got a link to where it was listed originally... Looks like a -MX Mexico radio likely for a Jeep Compass (how it ended up over there IDK). Hopefully he can return it.

M² Mods.