How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Check out LKQOnline I believe they might offer a 6 month warranty on parts. Also when I purchased a radio from them the invoice they provided me listed the donor vin. I may have been lucky but I went to a dealer parts department that I had no relationship with, showed them the radio and the invoice and they printed out a sheet with the code for free.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
anyone found a better deal on the 5.0 to 8.4 bezel - $299 for the bezel plus the volume knob seem steep. Anyone use a dremel to cleanly cut their existing bezel (using 5.0). Are there other options that I'm not considering? Love the OEM setup, but seems like I can get a radio for 450, usb hub for $100, bezel for 299 (ugh...), so total cost ~ 850 vs. an aftermarket solution. Pains me to spend that much, the bezel is the sticking point for me at this point....

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
anyone found a better deal on the 5.0 to 8.4 bezel - $299 for the bezel plus the volume knob seem steep. Anyone use a dremel to cleanly cut their existing bezel (using 5.0). Are there other options that I'm not considering? Love the OEM setup, but seems like I can get a radio for 450, usb hub for $100, bezel for 299 (ugh...), so total cost ~ 850 vs. an aftermarket solution. Pains me to spend that much, the bezel is the sticking point for me at this point....
Where are you looking? Infotainment? Don't buy their bezel with the volume knob...

If you have the OEM part number, Google it and you will get loads of sellers for new items. You can also use car-part.com to find a used bezel.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Also you don’t “have” to get the single zone atc. Look the the dual zone atc bezels. The passenger side buttons won’t be functional but maybe you can get the price down.

—2018 Ram 1500—

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Do yourself a favor and read what some other members here have posted about their disappointment with the aftermarket 8.4 bezel with the built in volume knob. It seems that the functioning of the volume knob is a problem with a scratchy sound and poor volume control. I know from experience that with smart shopping like on ebay, LKQonline, etc, that you can get a used OEM bezel for under $70. Then depending on your application I'm guessing that you would need a HVAC module and a conversion harness.

The M2Mods (vendors here on the forum) harness made by @Mpgrimm2 is the absolute BEST and looks better than OEM. If you contact him he can guide you through everything you need. If you go that way in the end plan ahead on the harness as you might love your new 8.4 so much that for a few $ more you would like to add ATC to your truck later on.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Josh

Look at this it’s a dual zone but only $100

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113610691016

Refer to the below thread and post 15. You can use either

DIY: 2013-2017 RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Upgrade/HVAC Conversion
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...rum.com/index.php?posts/1937449/&share_type=t
—2018 Ram 1500—

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I've used other M2mods (bumper swap) very happy with those guys. Seems like if I take the leap to the dual zone (and conversion), there are cheaper options. thanks to you all for the suggestions. the LKQonline for salvage was the key to all of this initially - think I can find a salvage radio & bezel for less, and then do the HVAC mod. Sweet!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I was about to start measuring them to see how much the 5.0 bezel overlaps. anyone have a picture of that? I love that option the most, no HVAC mods, just the radio, a 911 plug, and move on.

If anyone has a picture of that, that would be a huge savings & less aggravation....

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have both in my shop. I'll take a picture of it later.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I have both in my shop. I'll take a picture of it later.

that would be awesome, thanks so much! I have an SLT that I've upgrade a few items along the way, one of them being the steering wheel controls, and a bumper swap (after a small deer strike). Would love to just swap out with a new UAS/UAQ and the usb hub. Could do that for around $500 vs. 7-800. That way I can tell wife it was "around $500" and take an ass chewing vs. a more extended grilling & powerpoint slide on how it was cheaper to replace the radio vs. the entire truck!!!
Thanks!
Josh

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
As others have mentioned the dual zone ATC bezel works just fine with the upgraded radio. I found one on Ebay for $50. As a bonus, now my wife says when she turns up the temprature on her side she feels warmer. I didn't let her know that side was non-functional. As long as she is happy, I am happy. :D

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
that would be awesome, thanks so much! I have an SLT that I've upgrade a few items along the way, one of them being the steering wheel controls, and a bumper swap (after a small deer strike). Would love to just swap out with a new UAS/UAQ and the usb hub. Could do that for around $500 vs. 7-800. That way I can tell wife it was "around $500" and take an ass chewing vs. a more extended grilling & powerpoint slide on how it was cheaper to replace the radio vs. the entire truck!!!
Thanks!
Josh
Here you go...only the corners are cut off slightly and the screen is only slightly less accessible without the nice beveled edge on the 8.4 bezel. There will be a slight gap as well.81cef4e2d3a20238b2668ef3d5205ebc.jpge921a5d81590d085738a91e30ca87a8c.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I was about to start measuring them to see how much the 5.0 bezel overlaps. anyone have a picture of that? I love that option the most, no HVAC mods, just the radio, a 911 plug, and move on.

If anyone has a picture of that, that would be a huge savings & less aggravation....
Only problem is that you have no volume controls... unless you have them on your steering wheel.
There's a picture of it behind the original bezel (using steering wheel audio controls for volume) in this post from the 8.4 upgrade thread. This was very early in the original mod...
https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1937438.

M² Mods.
72f859b97a200fa702259e639f5af46c.jpg

hdbadboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks in advance for your help. i just purchased a 2018 ram 2500 tradesman and wish to upgrade the standard radio (radio 3.0 media hub, usb aux, remote usb port-charge only) with an 8.4 with or without navigation. must i find one from a 2018? what years will work/fit? will it plug and play? will the back up camera display on screen instead of the rear view mirror?? thanks again

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
thanks in advance for your help. i just purchased a 2018 ram 2500 tradesman and wish to upgrade the standard radio (radio 3.0 media hub, usb aux, remote usb port-charge only) with an 8.4 with or without navigation. must i find one from a 2018? what years will work/fit? will it plug and play? will the back up camera display on screen instead of the rear view mirror?? thanks again

Biggest issue is do you already have phone/VR buttons on the steering wheel with BT Connectivity & mics in the headliner? If yes ....

Then I recommend you stick with a 2018 radio to avoid cell system error messages that happen with using an earlier radio (correct USA Ram radio PNs are listed in op).

The 4 speed 8.4 HVAC conversion harness/process is the same as the 13-17 trucks other than using the 2018 2500 68366553AA HVAC module and likely needing to add Auto Temp Control (ATC) feature & cabin sensor for Temp blend door to have full travel/work correctly.

To get the bu camera to display on the radio, you'd also need a backup cam reroute harness.

See the first 5-6 posts for relevant links/threads.

If you don't have the mics ....
I usually recommend swappping out the mirror and it's harness for one from a 13-16 truck that has the mics (& AutoDim usually) and adding the mic reroute wiring into the camera reroute harness.

I may be able to make a mic only add-on harness for the headliner, but you'd need to get the PNs for the 2 mics, pull the headliner down at the front and cut out the openings to install them. It would be a one off harness without any written install info/pictures until sometime is willing to go this route.

M² Mods.

hdbadboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Biggest issue is do you already have phone/VR buttons on the steering wheel with BT Connectivity & mics in the headliner? If yes ....

Then I recommend you stick with a 2018 radio to avoid cell system error messages that happen with using an earlier radio (correct USA Ram radio PNs are listed in op).

The 4 speed 8.4 HVAC conversion harness/process is the same as the 13-17 trucks other than using the 2018 2500 68366553AA HVAC module and likely needing to add Auto Temp Control (ATC) feature & cabin sensor for Temp blend door to have full travel/work correctly.

To get the bu camera to display on the radio, you'd also need a backup cam reroute harness.

See the first 5-6 posts for relevant links/threads.

If you don't have the mics ....
I usually recommend swappping out the mirror and it's harness for one from a 13-16 truck that has the mics (& AutoDim usually) and adding the mic reroute wiring into the camera reroute harness.

I may be able to make a mic only add-on harness for the headliner, but you'd need to get the PNs for the 2 mics, pull the headliner down at the front and cut out the openings to install them. It would be a one off harness without any written install info/pictures until sometime is willing to go this route.

M² Mods.

so the phone/vr buttons are necessary to operate the android auto? looks like this new switch and wire connector is needed
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2013-2...208012&hash=item489d5714ee:g:NsMAAOSw1WJZIJge

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just a suggestion on something that worked out for me. I found a complete used steering wheel assembly on eBay it had the correct left side switch on the front plus the backside has the audio controls that gave me the ability to change stations and tracks on the left side and on the right side you can raise or lower the volume. I paid less than $100 for it shipped. Just a thought for you to consider. The whole assembly was Plug and Play with all wiring included.