How to remove RAM tailgate lettering on Rebel/Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K281

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here's a quick little write-up on how to remove the RAM letters on your tailgate if you own a Rebel and/or Limited. This is for the guys that want to swap out from the chrome RAM to the matte black RAM or vice versa.

Disclaimer 1, I did this over the weekend and took no pictures--sorry.
Disclaimer 2, You can't fully de-badge the tailgate and leave it as there are pilot holes left from the factory where the RAM letters are guided in. If you plan this route, you will need to patch the holes and repaint the tailgate.

The main reason I did this is because my Limited had the chrome RAM (I hate chrome) on the tailgate and black PlastiDip just wasn't cutting it for me anymore as I wash/detail my truck almost every weekend. The PlastiDip was collecting microfibers from my drying towels and the corners were peeling (the PlastiDip). I ended up buying the black RAM letters on eBay for $178 for the Rebel (ouch).

Things you will need:

-multi-tool putty knife/scraper OR just a regular putty knife/drywall knife (try to use one that has a little flex to it but not a lot as you will need the stiffness of the blade to help pry the letters off)

-blue painter's tape (to cover the blade so you don't scratch your paint, you will use a lot)

-long flat head screwdrivers (three) or other similar tool to help pry the letters due to the adhesive being very tacky

-leather garden gloves (this is the best way to peel-rub/roll off the left behind adhesive)

-box cutter knife (to help score the adhesive to break it away from the metal)

-Goof Off or equivalent

-soap and water for prep

-microfiber towel or equivalent

-patience

Things you will NOT need:

-floss

-heat gun

*the old tried and true method just won't work here. This isn't like de-badging the HEMI logo by the door. These letters are seriously stuck on.

Now, to get into it, simply take the blue painter's tape and cover your blade edge on the putty knife to protect your paint from scratches. I apply the blade from the bottom of the letter and work my way up, trying to pry outwards as I go. You can try to start at the top and work your way down but you will have the lip of the tailgate working against you.

As you do this multiple times, you WILL need to reapply new blue tape (any time that the blade edge gets exposed, don't risk scratching your paint).

As you keep working around each letter and prying the factory adhesive, I used flat head screw drivers (also taped to avoid scratching) to keep the letter off and away from the paint. This helps in working around the letter with the putty knife by keeping the pressure off. If you don't do this, the letter will try to seal back to the adhesive. These RAM letters have very little give in terms of flexing. This is why the screwdrivers are somewhat crucial. Each letter I removed took about two or three screwdrivers to help pry the letter off

Now, as you're prying the letter back, you may have decent opportunity to help get the adhesive off by using a box cutter knife to score the adhesive to help get the letter off. Be careful with your paint!

While taking each letter off, you may notice water draining out. The adhesive is tacky but has foam between the tacky side and the backside of the letter, so I can see how these things get water-logged.

After you have removed each letter, you will notice LOTS of black adhesive stuck to your tailgate. It looks like you'll be there forever trying to remove it. Fear not! Put on those leather gardening gloves and roll over the adhesive with your fingers. The adhesive will start to roll away from the paint. The gardening gloves work a lot better than using your fingers, as I'm sure your skin will just peel away. This process will take maybe 10-15 minutes per letter. The trick is to keep "rolling" your fingers over the adhesive. Easy technique once you get it down.

Once all the adhesive is gone, you will notice some remaining residue around the perimeter of where each letter used to be. You can use Goof Off or equivalent here to get this remaining residue off.

Next step will be to cover those pilot holes (total of six) with painter's tape and wash your tailgate to prep it for the new letters. I use mild soap and water, elbow grease and then dried with a microfiber towel.

Putting on the new RAM letters is simple. There are two ways to do this: simply take off the protective backing from the adhesive and slap it on, working from one side to the other with the towel to get out air bubbles OR place the letter on and then peel the protective backing off of the adhesive. Each letter has a pull tab to do this as well as multiple relief cuts to peel around the pegs on the backside of the letter, a great idea for once from a manufacturer. Personally, I just peeled off the protective backing and slapped on each letter as I was scared of the protective backing coming off mid-peel if I attempted to apply the letter the other way. The pilot holes make it simple that you don't even need to worry about alignment.

Enjoy!

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
I ended up buying the black RAM letters on eBay for $178 for the Rebel (ouch).

OUCH!!!! I bought the black RAM letters last week on ebay for $40 including shipping. They are the real ones, with the Chrysler logo on the inside of them.

Heat gun to take the old double sided tape off, then a heat gun on the new tape to make sure it sticks good. Done!

Old Tailgate_resize.JPG tailgate2.JPG