A Tip for Those w/the Multi Function Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those with the MF tailgate I have a very cheap and simple mod that might save you a headache or prevent harm to a family member (just kidding of course).

As you know in order to properly close the tailgate doors, you need to close the short/right door first. If you close the left door first, the top corner of the right door will hit the left door potentially leaving a ding/dent depending on how hard you slam it...and you do need to close it pretty firmly to avoid getting the open tailgate error on your dash.

If you're like me and always seem to be in a rush or have kids that sometimes get stuff out of the back of your truck like sports equipment, here's a simple preventative measure you can take by adding a small piece of thick foam stripping to the inside top corner of the right tailgate door...see pics below.

It has already saved the door from a ding a couple of times...from me rushing to close it to get to work and when my son grabbed his equipment bag and I was too distracted to remind him. This might be obvious to some and others may have a better solution but figured I would share it as a quick cheap fix. I am going to look into doing something better/more permanent but in the meantime this worked for me.

Like they say "more features, more problems" but I have to say I do like the MF tailgate more than I thought I would...it's nice to be able to reach further into the bed without having to climb into it all the time.

Tailgate Door Pad 1.jpgTailgate Door Pad 2.jpg

OP
OP
Ramsteen23

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you have the FMT, isn't there also bracing added to the bed that can interfere with some accessories?
Not sure...I haven't run into any issues yet but then again I haven't really added any aftermarket bed accessories. My tonneau cover was part of the package I selected so it fits great as you would expect.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
When you have the FMT, isn't there also bracing added to the bed that can interfere with some accessories?
Yes, the front bed corners have a 90-degree brace. As far as interfering with after-market accessories I don't know. I've read a few comments about after-market tonneau covers not working a couple of years ago. The corner braces reportedly interfere with the tonneau cover front hold-down clamp. I ordered my truck with the factory tonneau bed cover which I'm happy with, it is a soft tri-fold. I would have preferred a soft roll-up to have full bed access but the factory tri-fold comes out very easy. The issue is what to do with it the few times I need full access to the bed. It is likely the after-market has addressed this issue if enough people were looking for MFT-compatible tonneau bed covers. I don't have any clue how popular the option is.

The benefits of the MFT are "back saving". I load and transport water softener salt and bags of feed in 40 and 50-pound sacks. No more reaching over the tailgate with weight. The MFT opening is just the right width so I can get in past the opened tailgate doors with a palette fork for loading and unloading skids. No more nervous moments worrying about bumping into a lowered tailgate with the pallet fork.

For my use case, the MFT is the best thing since green grass and sliced bread :)

NDSinWimb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am discovering to my horror that my brand-new 2024 1500, with the multi-function tailgate that I wanted, is not compatible with the Roll N Lock retractable cover. The reason is the 90 degree angle brackets at the forward end of the bed. This is really bad news since one of the reasons for getting the truck was to be able to relocate Yakima bicycle racks from the camper top on the previous truck so that they would be more easily accessible. While still being able to use the full bed, with the tonneau cover retracted, as needed.

Apparently installers can fabricate a work-around replacement for the angle brackets, but it will still require adapting the canister and will void the warranty. In addition to costing another $150.

If you are planning for whatever reason to put a retractable tonneau cover on your truck, I have to suggest foregoing the multi-function tailgate. It's profoundly annoying that RAM would not make this information known before you take home a $70K truck...

OP
OP
Ramsteen23

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am discovering to my horror that my brand-new 2024 1500, with the multi-function tailgate that I wanted, is not compatible with the Roll N Lock retractable cover. The reason is the 90 degree angle brackets at the forward end of the bed. This is really bad news since one of the reasons for getting the truck was to be able to relocate Yakima bicycle racks from the camper top on the previous truck so that they would be more easily accessible. While still being able to use the full bed, with the tonneau cover retracted, as needed.

Apparently installers can fabricate a work-around replacement for the angle brackets, but it will still require adapting the canister and will void the warranty. In addition to costing another $150.

If you are planning for whatever reason to put a retractable tonneau cover on your truck, I have to suggest foregoing the multi-function tailgate. It's profoundly annoying that RAM would not make this information known before you take home a $70K truck...
That is frustrating...since I got the factory cover I never even knew the corner brackets could be an issue for other types of covers. The factory cover has improved greatly in quality and design since the one that came on my 2016 so I'm very happy with it. I agree there should be some sort of warning added when you select the MF tailgate option on a build and/or the dealer should provide a heads-up.

Hope you find a solution that works...good luck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
MAYBE .....
Back Rack makes a adaptor for those people that want a Headache Rack & a Tonneau Cover
Possibly something similar would work when you have those Braces in the forward part of the bed

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had thought that tailgate would have been nice to have, so much easier to get things in and out including stone that is a PITA to get past the bed/tailgate gap. But only way to get was on a limited (at least that was what salesperson said) and don't even know if it was available on a 2500.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had thought that tailgate would have been nice to have, so much easier to get things in and out including stone that is a PITA to get past the bed/tailgate gap. But only way to get was on a limited (at least that was what salesperson said) and don't even know if it was available on a 2500.
When I ordered my 2022 my salesperson told me the MFT and RAM boxes were only available on the two Limited trims because of supply chain shortages, this was in November of 2021. I believe the MFT is now available, once again, on all 1500 trims. It would be nice if this option was carried over to the HDs.

Does anyone know why those bed braces are needed for the MTF? Since the tailgate doors do not swing past 90 degrees they can't be for outside support and I would think the inside swing is supported by the bed's construction. I've read where some have removed them so they could attach the bed covers. I don't know if that caused an issue, people typically wouldn't report that. All I've ever read is that it adds stiffness but why?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I paid nearly $1700 Canuckstan dollars for my Roll'N'Lock in January '22, an additional $150 doesn't sound that frightening if I were to opt for the MFT.

I've had great experiences in dealing directly with Roll'N'Lock in Florida when I was looking to make modifications. Have you tried involving them to make the custom brackets and possibly preserve the warranty?

BTW, I used an old-fashioned technology called a telephone, sometimes the personal approach will get better traction than an email.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If that is true, there must be reinforcement inside of the beds side panels
There is plenty of room between the inner & outer bed panels

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

It isn't, or I would have gotten it. Barn door opening is just so much more convenient for everything from luggage to a bed of rock to shovel out.

sottis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you have the RamBox and MFT, it doesn't require (or come with) the corner bed braces. Guess the RamBox provides enough brace.

NDSinWimb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I paid nearly $1700 Canuckstan dollars for my Roll'N'Lock in January '22, an additional $150 doesn't sound that frightening if I were to opt for the MFT.

I've had great experiences in dealing directly with Roll'N'Lock in Florida when I was looking to make modifications. Have you tried involving them to make the custom brackets and possibly preserve the warranty?

BTW, I used an old-fashioned technology called a telephone, sometimes the personal approach will get better traction than an email.

As far as I can tell, Roll'N'Lock has been acquired by realtruck.com. I've been unable to locate any way of contacting RollNLock directly. The representatives confirm that the A Series rollup beds are not compatible with the MFT. They've said the same thing to both of the professional service providers I've contacted, one of which I've worked with for years.

Apparently RAM has known about this since at least 2021, and has decided not to engineer a bed stiffening bracket that does not prevent the customer from installing a roll-up bed cover. Go figure.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, as mentioned this is true unless you also have the rambox option. There are aftermarket brackets which allow many aftermarket bed covers to work with the MFT option on the standard beds. Right on is one brand...
The MFT is definitely not an option for any HD truck. The main reason for this is the HD's are based on 4th gen sheet metal, and the MFT was developed for the 5th gen 1500 sheet metal. We love the MFT on our truck. Makes loading and unloading the bed so much easier to not need to lift over the tailgate. It was definitely worth the $1000 in my opinion.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I can tell, Roll'N'Lock has been acquired by realtruck.com. I've been unable to locate any way of contacting RollNLock directly. The representatives confirm that the A Series rollup beds are not compatible with the MFT. They've said the same thing to both of the professional service providers I've contacted, one of which I've worked with for years.

Apparently RAM has known about this since at least 2021, and has decided not to engineer a bed stiffening bracket that does not prevent the customer from installing a roll-up bed cover. Go figure.

Yes, I suspected that Roll'N'Lock was acquired by RealTruck, the website is redirected to realtruck.com.

The old number I have for Roll'N'Lock is also forwarded to RealTruck, maybe, it's worth a call to them for support with brackets while preserving the warranty.

If nothing else, it may put a bug in their ear that sales has been compromised with the MFT option.

Asking is usually free. :cool:

1-800-952-7655