How to update 8.4 Nav

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been doing these updates all day long for the last few weeks. I have zero experience with one on a radio that has been swapped into another car though. Something could be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If you don't mind, please post the radio model and actual part number off the back of the radio.

I'm trying to track these issues and identify correct RAM specific part numbers by model year to match the correct firmware and host it in my thread.

INFO - 2013, 2014, 2015 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA)
INFO - 2013, 2014, 2015 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA) - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

Or a picture of the front and back of the radio.

@STYSMason,
If you need some of the FW files see the link above. I have managed to get a few of them. You can get the current version for 2015 Ram 8.4AN (I verified with 2015 VIN). Use at your own risk, or you can always locate a 2015 Vin to use from uConnect site directly.

Post 20 Edited.

Last edited:

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Any other differences between the '14 and '15 RA4 besides the tag button?

OP
OP
S

STYSMason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ok well i got the actual VIN from the donor vehicle today and as usual it says software is incompatible with my radio reset and please remove USB to reset. So annoyed, also what would make the NAV be off almost 100% of the time?

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok well i got the actual VIN from the donor vehicle today and as usual it says software is incompatible with my radio reset and please remove USB to reset. So annoyed, also what would make the NAV be off almost 100% of the time?
Have you already tried a factory reset?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

STYSMason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I thought I did, but not much seemed to happen lol

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I thought I did, but not much seemed to happen lol
It's pretty noticeable if you do it successfully. Your radio reboots, you'll probably see an SRT screen instead of RAM and your buttons will be missing until the radio goes through several power cycles.

I'm having a brain dart, can someone chime in with the buttons to hold to access the engineering menu? I think it's the "screen off" and "back" buttons for several seconds.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have no Idea why Nav would be off. I know it's through the XM antenna. Maybe a problem there with a connection or wire? Does everything else seem to function normally with the rest of the radio? I could be off on this but it seems to be that in most cases the radios that seem have issues with updates or other issues are out of the 2015 Rams.

OP
OP
S

STYSMason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey Rick it is out of a 2015. I did the factory reset just now and it told me to drive to recalibrate the nav and so far it works but sure it will be off again. Everything else seems to work fine. Only thing else I ccan think is if it gets off again ill pull the radio out and check that the plug got clicked all the way in. Thanks for all the input

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope it keeps working for you. Good luck! Keep us posted.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Have no Idea why Nav would be off. I know it's through the XM antenna. Maybe a problem there with a connection or wire? Does everything else seem to function normally with the rest of the radio? I could be off on this but it seems to be that in most cases the radios that seem have issues with updates or other issues are out of the 2015 Rams.
I had a lot of weird problems with my 15 radio. Took it out and won't get another.

-JT

Eric Hamm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 Bighorn. Yesterday a small piece of wood came across the wall on the interstate and hit my windshield. I figure it must have been launched from a truckbed. It hit the windsheild and cracked an 18 inch radius. It's the first time my Navigation has known where it was in a year. Its operating flawlessly now.
Maybe this truck is tougher than I thought it was.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2015 Bighorn. Yesterday a small piece of wood came across the wall on the interstate and hit my windshield. I figure it must have been launched from a truckbed. It hit the windsheild and cracked an 18 inch radius. It's the first time my Navigation has known where it was in a year. Its operating flawlessly now.
Maybe this truck is tougher than I thought it was.
My 2014 GPS antenna went bad but it still gets SXM reception. I verified the antenna as the issue this week with a replacement antenna.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk