How to wire reverse fog lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Getting two small LED light bars to mount on the back bumper (somehow, not sure how yet - so if you have insight, i'll take it)..

The purpose is two fold, and i'm hoping you guys may have some insight as to how to wire these up.

1 - To use as reverse lights
2 - To use as work lights for when camping and hooking/unhooking trailer at night. I want to be able to put it on a switch and override the reverse signal.

I'm assuming a switch, a relay, tapping in to reverse signal, and wiring to switch. Possibly a 2-way switch.. one way will allow reverse signal, the other will override and turn the light on manually?

Help!

Bighorn1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am considering doing the same thing to my ram. my easy solution would be to just wire the led bars that you mounted on the rear bumper, to a switch and just manually turn it on when going in reverse or when working. This is what i will be doing rather then mess with trying to tap into the reverse light wiring. just my two cents.

Cormier3288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7-liter HEMI
What i have been wanting to do, and have only seen it once on the Casterville TX local PD.

Is to cut out the lightholes in the tail gate(outside metal) and have them flush mounted. Like a bucket mount or light that would work like that. Not sure on details. But i definatly want similar set up for all the same reasons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
its actually fairly simple. just a relay, switch and diode.

with these you can have it so when in reverse they will turn on, or with the switch they will. what the diode will do is make it so when you use the switch it doesnt back feed into the reverse circuit and turn the actual reverse lights on.

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Okay.. So ignore my ignorance.. how would everything be wired up? Is the dioide just in-line? And what rated relay, amp wise?

If someone could draw me a picture................ lmao...

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would wire it as follows:

Diode from the back-up lights feeding into relay as the trigger.
In addition, have a bed mounted switch (waterproof tucked under the rail) that is pulling power from the 12V + for the trailer hitch.

That way, you can turn them on whenever you want, and they'll come on by default when the truck is in reverse.

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Thank you sir. And where is everyone getting their relays and diodes from? Anything specific i need to order in that regard? Sorry, i'm completely dumb on this stuff.

Is there a load or resistance or voltage # i need to know to buy a diode.. Does it get soldered in line?

In regards to relay:

30 - 12+ from tow harness
85 - Chassis ground
86 - Diode+wire from reverse signal (perhaps tow harness?)
87 - Output to lights (if has 87 and 87a, both should be powered)

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
here is the basic wiring. however in your case you will have a 2nd wire that goes into #86 that comes from the reverse lights with the diode in it.

you can get all the wires needed for this at the 7pin trailer plug

Attachments

• mad_electrical_relay-b.jpg
    mad_electrical_relay-b.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,996
OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Thank you! Okay, explain to me where i find the relay and diode.. Radio Shack stuff? Any load or etc info i need to know to go in and buy one?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you! Okay, explain to me where i find the relay and diode.. Radio Shack stuff? Any load or etc info i need to know to go in and buy one?

You can buy a standard 5 pin relay from Autozone or similar.
Often on display with the fuses and wiring.

A diode, just go into Radio Shack and ask for a 12V Diode, they are NOT very large (small current load)