Hub Assembly for 2016 1500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmck16ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As the title says, I'm looking at hub assemblies for my 2016 1500 4x4. I've had lots of mentions in Facebook groups recommending SKF, Timken, and Moog. As I understand it, Moog isn't what they used to be so I'm skiddish about that one. No experience with SKF and I'm sure I've bought some Timken parts over the years and don't recall having any problems with them. I was curious about a heavy duty hub assembly though as I will be pulling a fairly heavy trailer on a regular basis soon. The only heavy duty unit I can find is from Mevotech and I haven't heard many reviews about them at all. So, should I worry about getting a heavy duty assembly or will a standard duty suit me fine? Either way, what brand would everyone recommend? Thanks.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did Mevotech TTX hubs on both sides of my 2016. Only have a couple hundred miles on them but so far so good.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a little skeptical of exactly what it means by "heavy duty", especially since it's in the lower price range compared to all of the other brands and models. In any case it's not like pulling a trailer puts much if any more stress on the front hubs. For a normal trailer load all of the weight is on the back wheels and if anything it takes load off of the front. Even with a weight distributing hitch you aren't really putting much if any extra weight on the front wheels. You are mainly making it so the trailer is not removing weight from the front wheels. I'm sure somebody will jump all over that statement and start an argument about trailer towing,yada, yada, yada.......but back to the original question. I wouldn't fascinate on the "heavy duty" listed hubs. Not saying they are bad or anything but don't think they are going to somehow help with towing or hold up better. Any of the name brands you list will probably be fine.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SKF is the worlds largest (and maybe 'best'??) bearing company ..according to their website. They have great products in general. Timkin is also good. Moog is good too. Moog used to be associated with top-notch suspension products. And they still make outstanding stuff.

However, these days, with import products and so many avenues to buy the "cheapest part" ....Moog and others have introduced 'Economy' lines of products. AC Delco has too. The idea is to sell 'decent' import products to compete with the other sellers out there. Or put another way, to not get killed and go out of business because they're only selling expensive top-end USA-made products. Products made in China for exmaple are SO much cheaper produced than here, we'll just never be able to compete. That's just a fact. So back to your bearing, you have to be a saavy buyer and look at the grade you're looking at with some sellers. AC Delco for example has different grades. I would rather buy a mid-or cheaper grade from a delco than the parts store. At least Delco has 'SOME' quality control.

I would personally go for Mopar OEM-grade products. They're made to strict standards. Your oem wheel hubs probably lasted a long time. Guess what? They cost a lot of money too. But with the strike going on, IDK what the availability of Mopar wheel bearing hubs are. They're probably manufactured by AAM, and you could try one of their re-sellers for an AAM hub. Note, even Mopar has economy line of products too. It's called the Value Line ...or something like that. Considering the work to replace a wheel bearing/hub, you don't want to do it again cause you bought the cheapest part.

I would say any of those you listed are probably going to be good. SKF and Timkin. I put a Moog bearing (the 'good' line whatever that name is), on a Jeep a couple yrs ago and so far so good. But normally I spend the $$ for OEM when it makes sense. And sometimes OEM is waaay more $$ and it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't want to unfairly knock import parts either. We've all used import parts which surprised us and held up well. Fact is, they sell and make more cars in China than everywhere else. Their factories are, in general, more modern, use the latest and best equipment, and chinese people are (usually) quick to make changes ...which they can do in a heartbeat ...where it would take a US company months or years to implement. Chinese work hard and smart.

The mindset in China is the "we" not the "I" ...as in the west. The goal isn't to sell products for the absolute MOST you can possibly get out of it (like in the west). For many/most of their parts they could charge 5x more and still beat the low prices OEMs are selling. But that's not part of the mindset. Unless you've been there hard to explain. That's one reason they kill us.

I used do do engineering projects with many local manufacturers. I've sat in rooms and listened to owners, or project managers exclaim outright that if they can't make 35%+ margin it's not worth their time (margin...not mark-up) to develop a new product or new model. Stick with the old. And the other mindset of the west that we have to wrestle with, is how companies develop a product and spend untold sums (millions if needed) to sue to protect their patent/profits. That's great, but when someone comes along (like importers) who can do a similar thing for a 20th of yer price, yer in a bind. Whereas in asia (not just China), the emphasis is to continually make it better & cheaper cost. By the time the copy-cat competition catches up, the developing manufacturer (hopefully), is 2 generations newer and better and able to make cheaper. I'm not saying what's right or wrong ...Just some reasons why import parts are a lot cheaper.....

Last edited: