Huh... How's this for weird?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Well, here I thought I got all the little bugs figured out on y my Hemi 5.7 and then it stalls on me yet again..

Replaced all the following with new OE parts, Gas cap, crankshaft position sensor, cleaned the throttle body thoroughly, new air filter, new evap sensor near gas tank on canister.... no codes.

It only seems to stall periodically but ONLY after I fill up at the gas station. Filled up 4-5 times in a row and nothing happened, filled up a few days ago and WAMMO, it stalls at the stop light, started right back up and hasn't done it since and once it stalls once or twice it doesn't happen again until I remove the gas can to fill up again (again, not all the time)

Any ideas?? Could it a filler tube or some sort of vacuum leak in the gas filler neck or?? I'm out of ideas..

Thanks.

Cummins08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Have you checked the injectors and fuel pump? Possibly not the issue but it seems like it could be one of the two.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Well, here I thought I got all the little bugs figured out on y my Hemi 5.7 and then it stalls on me yet again..

Replaced all the following with new OE parts, Gas cap, crankshaft position sensor, cleaned the throttle body thoroughly, new air filter, new evap sensor near gas tank on canister.... no codes.

It only seems to stall periodically but ONLY after I fill up at the gas station. Filled up 4-5 times in a row and nothing happened, filled up a few days ago and WAMMO, it stalls at the stop light, started right back up and hasn't done it since and once it stalls once or twice it doesn't happen again until I remove the gas can to fill up again (again, not all the time)

Any ideas?? Could it a filler tube or some sort of vacuum leak in the gas filler neck or?? I'm out of ideas..

Thanks.

Try a couple of can of "dry gas" to see if you may be stirring up some water in the tank. Cheap data after what you've spent.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I haven't checked the injectors yet or fuel pump but i don't suspect they are the culprits.. Again, this only happens once in a while only AFTER I fill up at the gas station.

Mbrp.Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi. Mbrp catback, k&n cai
Park neutral switch? I had a grand cherokee have that issue. When it stalled, had to slam the shifter from drive to park to neutral really quick and start it. That was a 96 though with 248k on the odometer.

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can say from my own recent experience that if you had a constant pressure problem with the fuel, you'd notice it in the gas pedal. My filler neck pressure tube that runs up to the gas cap cracked off at the tank and without a closed system my truck was running on about 60% power. This from a hole about the size of a pencil.

It sounds like a sporadic pressure problem or a computer issue to me. I would think that the injectors would lead to misfiring on a specific cylinder instead of stalling.

Could also be emissions related. Have you checked/replaced the EGR valve and PCV valve yet? If those stuck or just didn't respond like the computer expects, I could see it creating a goofy pressure problem for the air intake and having a recently filled tank could impact the pressure its able to create. Both are cheap to replace. PCV is around 15 bucks. EGR is around 40. Both wouldn't take more than an hour in the garage. My '02 4.7 stalled on me twice in the course of 6 months, and I replaced those and it didn't happen again, though I sold the truck a few months later.

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an 04 ram that did the exact thing you're explaining. Mine was the gas tank itself. I don't remember if there was a recall, but there was on my charger (for the tank). Apparently, something in the tank (can't remember what it's called) swells or something like that, allowing gas back into the a evap system.

Both the ram and the charger would stall out very shortly after filling up, but run fine after until the next fill up. I never did get it fixed, just stopped filling completely up.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Ceri, thanks for the info. Greatly appreciate it. I'll try switching those out this weekend and see if it makes a difference. :)

Tim@KORE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can say from my own recent experience that if you had a constant pressure problem with the fuel, you'd notice it in the gas pedal. My filler neck pressure tube that runs up to the gas cap cracked off at the tank and without a closed system my truck was running on about 60% power. This from a hole about the size of a pencil.

It sounds like a sporadic pressure problem or a computer issue to me. I would think that the injectors would lead to misfiring on a specific cylinder instead of stalling.

Could also be emissions related. Have you checked/replaced the EGR valve and PCV valve yet? If those stuck or just didn't respond like the computer expects, I could see it creating a goofy pressure problem for the air intake and having a recently filled tank could impact the pressure its able to create. Both are cheap to replace. PCV is around 15 bucks. EGR is around 40. Both wouldn't take more than an hour in the garage. My '02 4.7 stalled on me twice in the course of 6 months, and I replaced those and it didn't happen again, though I sold the truck a few months later.

I was working on an 09 1500 that the pressure tube you are referring to was broken. What a pain in the butt to find. Anyway, the truck I was working on had an engine code because of this. Not saying all trucks would throw a code, but emission codes are pretty sensitive IMO.
Good call on the PCV or EGR.