I have a question about replacement ball joints. I have a 2010 ram 2500 with the 5.7 hemi 4wd.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Millertime29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Some people are telling me to replace the upper ones with the moog adjustable ball joints. Well me and a few of my buddies have had nothing but problems with moog parts. They just aren’t lasting at all. I guess my question is it even worth putting the adjustable ones in. And if so is there another kind of adjustable ones I can use? Or should I just put the regular ones back in? And if so to that what brand is a good brand? Please help!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check with Rock Auto they may have OEM replacement the oem sometimes last longer!!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Used to be everything Moog sold was Premium, and if said Moog on the box you knew it was good stuff. Nowadays (and for a while now) Moog has an 'economy' line of parts, and a Premium grade. I think they even have a middle grade too on some things. Kind of a good/better/best market approach. So the problem is a guy needs to spend a few moments to make sure you know what yer ordering.

The problem is, how's a customer supposed to know from a detailed standpoint, what the REAL differences are between a lower grade part and a more expensive part? Hardness of the metal? What's the longevity difference? Is is 20% less life? 50%?? Well there's no way for a customer to really know. That's what sucks about buying Moog nowadays -- it's confusing. When I do buy their stuff, I generally buy their Premium grade products. And those parts have been great quality. FWIW, AC/Delco has followed the same market approach with their 'Genuine', 'Gold' & 'Silver' lines of parts (also somewhat confusing on what the quality differences are as they don't really tell ya). In my experience AC/Delco's Genuine (original) line is very good ...like, OEM.

IDK if Mopar has gone that way yet. I haven't seen it. I just buy Mopar replacement parts and haven't been disappointed.

This Mevotech TXMS25563 upper ball joint is listed as "Premium" with Rockauto and is greasable. I haven't tried them ...but you might take a chance on it ..and keep them greased..
1651636603744.png

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
M

Millertime29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Used to be everything Moog sold was Premium, and if said Moog on the box you knew it was good stuff. Nowadays (and for a while now) Moog has an 'economy' line of parts, and a Premium grade. I think they even have a middle grade too on some things. Kind of a good/better/best market approach. So the problem is a guy needs to spend a few moments to make sure you know what yer ordering.

The problem is, how's a customer supposed to know from a detailed standpoint, what the REAL differences are between a lower grade part and a more expensive part? Hardness of the metal? What's the longevity difference? Is is 20% less life? 50%?? Well there's no way for a customer to really know. That's what sucks about buying Moog nowadays -- it's confusing. When I do buy their stuff, I generally buy their Premium grade products. And those parts have been great quality. FWIW, AC/Delco has followed the same market approach with their 'Genuine', 'Gold' & 'Silver' lines of parts (also somewhat confusing on what the quality differences are as they don't really tell ya). In my experience AC/Delco's Genuine (original) line is very good ...like, OEM.

IDK if Mopar has gone that way yet. I haven't seen it. I just buy Mopar replacement parts and haven't been disappointed.

This Mevotech TXMS25563 upper ball joint is listed as "Premium" with Rockauto and is greasable. I haven't tried them ...but you might take a chance on it ..and keep them greased..
View attachment 492517
Thank you very much that helps out a lot

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No need for adjustable unless you are having Camber issues. Also do not get splined ball joints, once you do you will always have to use them.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There are also forged steel upper a-arms which should be stronger than stamped steel or aluminum. It looks like a good product and I would think (hope) they sourced a quality ball joint as well (it's greasable). Has anyone used these?

OP has a 2500, not a 1500. Different setup

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
The question would be "how do you use your truck"? Do you use it to the extreme? OEM ball joints are not inferior in design or quality, do you feel yours failed prematurely? I will say "adjustable" ball joints are for an extreme situation and a majority of trucks would not fall into that category.

Should you be looking to minimize risk from inferior quality or design, in todays market "generally" the least risk is the OEM.

There is another company called "Detroit Axel", I have installed their stuff in several different vehicles. Do the research, they have a mixed bag of reviews regarding quality. However in my experience with ever installation their product has been quality from a fit and finish stand point. There has not been one failure or adverse event with the vehicles I serviced. Keep in mind they are "china", make sure you do the research.

On the other hand should it be you are looking for an upgrade because that's what you want to do, I would recommend investigating Carli Suspension. They sell lifetime warranted products that are bullet proof. I have installed a couple of sets their ball joints in vehicles specifically for off road use. At $500 a pair personally I could not justify the expense. However they are nice!

With regard to MOOG, I concur with @Jeepwalker, MOOG was great.