I want everyone to go out under the passenger seat and try to take out your jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Does where we live have something to do with this?
Wetter areas being more prone to rust. People in the backseat having their wet feet under the passenger seat.
My truck is 6years old and mine has absolutely no problems coming out or going back in.

Southern California and many places in the Southwest might as well be on another planet when it comes to finding older vehicles in excellent to like new condition. Finding minty 1970's and 1980's Japanese vehicles that are still in excellent condition body and frame wise is way more prevalent in your area of the country. You guys have like two seasons, warm and slightly less warm. Makes a difference in vehicle longevity.

jbrown5030

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
JESUS H MONKEY BALLS! Why is this thing designed like this. I thought I'd check this out while I was outside messing with the brakes. If I was doing this in the dark with cold fingers I don't think I could have even gotten it out.

ecoramtester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Yeah, had the same thing happen to my 2015 hemi after only 2 winters. I had the truck oil sprayed after the first winter, so in theory, this can happen to you after one winter if you live in the snow belt. Scary!!

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Cudos to your Sir!! You most have a many Ram owners from a big ole pita if stuck with a flat! We should get a go fund me started for you and all of us send some jingle Sir!

See if you can loosen the wing nut to remove the jack. In my case the tip of the Wingnut was severely rusted as it sticks through the floor under your truck. Luckily for me I was at home when I decided to try this on my 2011 Laramie. Even after cleaning the threads of the wing nut from under the truck with a wire brush and soaking the threads with penetrating oil it still took a pair of channel locks to remove it. If I got a flat on the highway I would not be able to change the tire and would have called the hook. When I finally got it out I cleaned the threads with a 6mm tap and die greased it all up and put it back together, and hopefully I will never need to use it.468424c24d2c034747b8924bcfb86ee4.jpg2703fa08b718c2b7ec50fef1e1cec655.jpg749d803bb04e041c318251b33bdcf465.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No issues taking mine out, didn't have to do anything special or use any tools, just twisted the wing nut to loose it and that was it, it wasn't frozen shut or anything alike.

OP
OP
jljbtm

jljbtm

Reaction score
"go fund me" sounds great!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was bored on Saturday so I tried mine. It came out OK but I am sure it is only because I Krown the truck every year. I slathered on the anti-seize before I put it back but I think I am going to order the new set up next time I set foot in the dealer. Thanks to kad for the part numbers and to the OP for pointing this out.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just checked mine and I could unscrew it (2016 RAM 1500).

I grease it however as there was no grease on it....

Tiogaboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great advice to check the jack wingnut bolt. I just bought a 2011 1500 and the wingnut bolt was stripped and I couldn't remove the jack. Rather than mess around with cutting the bolt completely off, drilling and tapping, I cut the wing nut off, drilled a hole in the bolt and used a hitch pin clip to secure the jack. I put a small piece of hose around the pin to prevent rattling. I also cut a stabilizer link bushing in half to put under the jack eyelet so it would be tight against the clip. Works perfectly, no rattles and easy access.

20200811_190225.jpg 20200811_193105.jpg

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I broke mine over a year ago, now my jack just sits on the floor in the back, pretty stupid design.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This advice is SO excellent. I tell everyone I know with a 4th gen the same thing. I know on my 2017, I barely got it loose. After buttering it up with anti-seize it was good to go.

My new to me 2019 Ram 1500 classic has the new design jack retainer, where it's a stud in the passenger compartment so the threads don't go out and into the elements.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Might reccomend pulling spare down as well and fluid filming everything

My spare was seized up in pulley. Cable came down but inner holder was stuck. Alot of deadblows and penetrating and it finally fell

Between this and jack. Turned into a project.

Better doing in drivway on a sunny day than in dark in snowstorm

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My jack and tools have already been taken out and used twice and my 2017 Laramie only has 13K miles on it. After that 2nd flat I went and bought a plastic box and put an electric air pump, an aluminum 1.5 ton floor jack, a serious tire patch kit, the factory jack and tire tools and various other ******** in it. You are absolutely right though it was a PITA to get out and I can only imagine how bad it would be after several years and in rust belt area. It kind of makes me want to buy some 10 ply tires sooner rather than later.

I did the exact same thing !

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The retaining screw was a SOB to remove on my '14. Very rusty! I had to use a wrench.

It was here I learned of the newer design and part numbers. I updated them ASAP!!

Thanks!!!

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The jack is often installed by the dealer's prep person and twice I have had items missing when I checked the vehicle before driving it home.

I had a Mercedes and they provided gloves and everything else for changing a tire except a small screwdriver that was needed to remove a special plastic cap over the hubcap. I had a Mercedes road service guy come and he did not have one either.

When going off the pavement I also take a scissor jack and a HiLift jack and a 12x12 piece of inch thick plywood for raising the truck to replace a tire.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I need to remove and replace tires on my dually to be sure I can do so roadside. And check my spare tire mechanism. It's a 2020 so it's a good time to lube/antisieze stuff!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When going off the pavement I also take a scissor jack and a HiLift jack and a 12x12 piece of inch thick plywood for raising the truck to replace a tire.

That's a great plan.

Having that chunk of wood for a jack platform is a wise for changing a pickup truck tire in any situation. I'm sure there's situations where the factory jack couldn't lift our stock rams high enough to get the job done. Either that or the wimpy baseplate on the jack will shove itself right through soft hot asphalt, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357