I'm a Ford guy, convince me otherwise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright guys, I have had two Fords and my family has owned several others and a couple GM trucks. Always great cars always run well without issues. My dad always told me to avoid Chrysler products, but I find myself after a Ram 1500 for my next vehicle. Here is what I want to know: My price range combined with what I want in a truck puts me with a higher mileage 4.7 or 5.7 automatic 4x4. I am looking at trucks with around 150 to 180k miles. In a Ford I wouldn't have an issue with these miles, but I have read online extensively and have some concerns with the durability of these trucks, if i buy a Ram with 170k miles on it, that has been well maintained, can i expect another 50k miles or so with good care. I realize somethings just wear out, but I don't want to have a truck that is always in the shop with some issue or suffers major mechanical failure. I see tranny issues are somewhat common, but I also see trucks with high mileage on the original tranny. I have also seen some debate to how well the 5.7 holds up compared to the 4.7 dodge engine and the 5.3 Chevy and the 5.4 Ford. I'm looking for honest answers about personal experiences. (Currently I have my eye on what is a cosmetically nearly new looking '04 single cab Laramie with 178k miles with the 5.7 Hemi. ) I drive a lot of in town and interstate, and sometimes tow my motorcycle, which with the trailer is no more than 2000lbs. The truck would be a daily driver.
Thanks y'all,

-Ben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Alright guys, I have had two Fords and my family has owned several others and a couple GM trucks. Always great cars always run well without issues. My dad always told me to avoid Chrysler products, but I find myself after a Ram 1500 for my next vehicle. Here is what I want to know: My price range combined with what I want in a truck puts me with a higher mileage 4.7 or 5.7 automatic 4x4. I am looking at trucks with around 150 to 180k miles. In a Ford I wouldn't have an issue with these miles, but I have read online extensively and have some concerns with the durability of these trucks, if i buy a Ram with 170k miles on it, that has been well maintained, can i expect another 50k miles or so with good care. I realize somethings just wear out, but I don't want to have a truck that is always in the shop with some issue or suffers major mechanical failure. I see tranny issues are somewhat common, but I also see trucks with high mileage on the original tranny. I have also seen some debate to how well the 5.7 holds up compared to the 4.7 dodge engine and the 5.3 Chevy and the 5.4 Ford. I'm looking for honest answers about personal experiences. (Currently I have my eye on what is a cosmetically nearly new looking '04 single cab Laramie with 178k miles with the 5.7 Hemi. ) I drive a lot of in town and interstate, and sometimes tow my motorcycle, which with the trailer is no more than 2000lbs. The truck would be a daily driver.
Thanks y'all,

-Ben

To tell you the truth I don't think anyone would be able to give you a straight forward answer. I purchased a high mileage Ram as a (work truck.) I've done lots of work to it, (no major stuff), just replaced everything that commonly wears out. (Tranny Fluid / Brakes / Tires/ Oil / Filters/ Lot's of front suspension (ball joints, control arms, tie rods, tie rod ends, some shocks, and some other generally worn parts.) The reason I purchased the truck was because of the deal I got.

I'm a previous Chevy owner, family has been die hard Dodge's since the muscle cars in the days. My fathers first couple cars we're a 69' Dodge Dart, a 72' Dodge Demon, all the way to a Ram today. To this day, he's never owned anything but Mopar/Chrysler/Dodge.

Moral to the story, I believe all the mainstream auto makers put extensive hours and millions of dollars into research, testing, and production in their vehicles. I myself, believe a Dodge, Chevy, or Ford are all going to be reliable as their owner. If you're buying a higher mileage vehicle, I would look at who you are buying it from, and how many previous owners. (Sometimes this isn't possible.) But a vehicle is only as reliable as it's owner is to the maintenance schedule.

Believe it or not, many, many people know to change the tires to avoid a flat, change the brakes to avoid wrecks, but not everyone out there with a vehicle understands the full maintenance schedule of their vehicle. Not everyone changes their filter or oil on time. Not everyone knows to do small stuff like throttle body/sensor cleanings, greasing parts, and the other small things as owners that we are suppose to maintenance. 180k miles is a lot of miles, but as I said, if it's had good owners that kept it very well, I believe it'll easily run for another 50k. I search online and see many people with 250k+ on their Rams. Do a search and locate the thread "How many miles does your Ram have?". You'll see they'll last, but only as much as the owner takes care of them.

On the other hand, I bought my work truck at 150k, previous owner neglected. I've dumped some cash into it, the only reason I wasn't too worried, was because I enjoy learning, diy'ing, and knew what I was getting into when I purchased it, and I got a steal price on it. If it hadn't been for these factors, I would have been MUCH more picky about investigating the maintenance of the truck and the previous owner.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
^ What he said ^

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro!

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So basically, there isn't any reason to believe that with proper care, the engine and transmission and what-not will hold up just as long as the competition. I realize there are always variables when it comes to previous owners. But assuming good maintenance, 180k miles isn't a reason not to consider a hemi ram? I need something reliable that I'm not always having to have fixed, as stated in my original post. And what you've said is encouraging to me that the Ram is a good choice. If I went with another truck it would be of similar mileage and all the same things apply as far as previous owners and servicing it etc...

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
My 07 truck has 162,000 miles on it. Well maintained with Royal Purple for 80,000 miles, then Amsoil for the last 80,000. Now running just good ole Castrol in it. Fluids changed regularly. Plugs too. Every 30,000 miles. All I have done to it was wheels bearings at 130,000 miles, a couple AC fans under the hood, and under the dash fan too. One battery. One water pump. One fuel pump at 161,000 miles. One windshield washer pump at 160,000 miles. This truck has been Superchips tuned on hottest tune for 80,000++ miles. Driven hard. Been thru several sets of tires. LOL. LOTS of idling in heat and cold. Stock transmission. Shifts like a brand new truck still. I would not hesitate to drive it to California right now. I think they all make good trucks and bad ones. I have never really had a bad truck. No lemons. I think if you can get a good deal on any truck, then get it. You probably won't go wrong on any brand. If you drive one you like, jump on it!! My 12 truck has had very few issues at 54,000 miles and tons of idling and ******* it tuned and all...My next truck will definitely be another Ram.....Good luck.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
All vehicles will last a long time with proper maintenance. I own a 1968 Hemicuda which I redid when I bought it (it was kept in abarn). A 1995 Nissan Hardbody which now has over 250k miles on it and still runs great, and my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 which with the motor in it has a bit over 82k miles. I am rather **** about maintenance so all my vehicles visit the local dealership or oil change place when I cannot get too them.
I also own (or can I say I own them) a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab (my wifes truck) and a second 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab (recently gave it to my eldest daughter for her 16th birthday), and even those 2 both have been very well taken care of.
Big thing you want to do with any used vehicle purchase is to have it gone over by a mechanic you trust. You can expect to be replacing parts that normally wear out, but other than that not much else.
Most people take care of their vehicles but there are some who do not. Always ask how well the truck was taken care of and ask for receipts (or a carfax if possible) for the maintenance done. A good owner will have these. Avoid any truck that the owner looks like he/she is trying to hid something, normally this is a tell that the vehicle has something wrong with it and you should run as fast as possible from it into the hills.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm a Ford guy as well. The wife and I currently own 3 Fords and 1 Dodge. The price range I was looking at Ford didn't offer anything I liked. The plug snapping 5.4 was a big turn off for me. I had a great experience with my first truck (a Dakota) that went 196k before I traded it in on my Ram. The Dakota was still going strong enough to fetch $4k as a trade in (which I know isn't what was actually given).

So far, the Ram has been everything I had hoped for. I'm getting some front end noise but I knew to expect that at my mileage...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Exactly what I'm getting at and like MegaMouse said. I'm not just running up the name for Dodge Trucks, I'm a very firm believer that nearly all the Trucks out there today Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Chevy, and the Nissan's are good trucks, all of them have thousands and thousands of R&D, and Research bucks into them to last forever, to me it's all a matter of how well the trucks been taken care of. My dad's up to 242,000 on his original motor and tranny. I know he's had a few minor issues, as mentioned above. I think he had to do a fuel pump and injectors, other then that he's still on the original motor and tranny. Given he's very picky about his truck, keeps up with the maintenance, and is old fashioned and still does oil changes at every 3,000 miles.

I know you're looking for a more direct answer, so I'l help you with that. If you buy a 5.7 with 180k on it, expect that you might have to replace general wear parts anytime, but yes it'll easily go for another 50k IF you find one that has been taken care of.

Now my question for you, are you on a certain budget? If so, would you mind telling us what you're trying to spend? Trust me, it's not a big deal, because I've put budgets on many cars I've bought, but I'm sure you could find a 140k-150k truck just for the same price as a 180k-190k truck if you do enough hours looking around. One thing I've learned when looking for vehicles is spend HOURS researching and looking around. A few hours can find you a deal that keeps money in your pocket or saves you 30,000-40,000 miles on the odometer just by looking around a little bit more. There's always a BETTER deal out there. I paid $2,500. for my "work" truck (03 with 148k), granted it needed front suspension parts, brakes, tires, and some other general wear parts. I thought it was a good deal, because I put $1,500.-$1,800. in now I'm sitting on a $4,000.00 truck that's paid off cash, with brand new tires, brakes, alignment, all front suspension, and shocks, filters, fluids, etc. I'm now at 151 on the work truck and the tranny doesn't miss a shift and when I get on the gas it has feels and sounds strong as can be.

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the help, I ended up spending a little more than I had wanted to but got a 133k mile truck in really good shape that I hope will last me a long time with proper care. It's been a blast so far! I posted a pic in the member trucks section titled "my first Ram"

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Thanks for all the help, I ended up spending a little more than I had wanted to but got a 133k mile truck in really good shape that I hope will last me a long time with proper care. It's been a blast so far! I posted a pic in the member trucks section titled "my first Ram"

Congrats on the new truck! The first thing I said when I drove my first Ram was"... man this thing has balls!" enjoy it.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro!

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
I've got the 4.7l v8, Never had a single problem with the engine (that i didnt do to it myself) I put a 6" lift and 35" tires and its a bit sluggish but overall I am happy. What can I expect? It's a good truck and I would never trade it for a ford. As for 170k miles ... be careful. Honestly any vehicle could have a ton of hidden problems at that milage. So if you wind up buying a ram with that many miles and something happens to it don't let it change your view of Ram. They're good trucks, even though i've had my fair share of problems.