I'm only here to get my parking validated.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arcot Ramathorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd start this off saying I'm new here but, well no sh..... I should probably go over rules & regs before I get myself in trouble.

Seriously though, I signed up to get intel on a subject I'm sure you guys are growing tired of. Light bar installation (specifically 3-position on/off/on wired to highs) but fear not, I have already spent my first hour or so as a member searching old threads before starting a new one only to ask a question that has been previously answered 462 times. Though I'm sure I'll be reaching out for help because this specific subject may as well be Japanese. Rather, that random dude you meet who grew up deep in the Florida Everglades who sparks up a conversation & though you're both technically speaking English & you think you're picking up the majority of what he's putting down, by the time it's all said & done, you're more confused than ever. That's the situation I'm currently finding myself in so please bare with me.

With that said, time to move on to the confession. The Dodge I'm inquiring about is not mine, it's my moms. I am....... A FORD OWNER! Please don't lynch me, I mean you no harm. You have my word. I cannot confirm nor deny if it's F'd over, rebuilt or if it was a Dodge in a previous life but it is purdy. I really do like my fancy a.. '13 Expedition Limited (Loaded with a ton of crap I'll never use but still paid for) but my moms '14 1500 5.7 Tradesman puts mine to shame performance wise. I mean in a bad way & this is not me saying what I think you want to hear in order to avoid a flogging, its sadly (for me) the truth. I should have shopped around a bit more. Maybe the lesson with stick this time.

So, introduction, check. Attempt at humor, check. Confession, check. Where to go from here? More research it is.

I do hope I'll be able to contribute to the forum while picking your collective knowledge from time to time. From what I've seen so far, I'm impressed by the effort put forth to help those inquiring & then again & again when they can't grasp what you're telling them. I'm no exception, I'll be that guy at some point down the road. Of this, I have no doubt.

Ok, ok. Putting the mic down. Ramble much?

Thank you for your time & patience.

FarmerFran.jpg

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've done this very install on my '!3

I'm assuming, by having an ON/OFF/ON that you want one leg to be on by switch alone and the other ON to be on with high beams? What kind of questions do you have?

you can ask any questions you might have and I'll be happy to help you though the install, as would other members I'm sure.

OP
OP
Arcot Ramathorn

Arcot Ramathorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done this very install on my '!3

I'm assuming, by having an ON/OFF/ON that you want one leg to be on by switch alone and the other ON to be on with high beams? What kind of questions do you have?

you can ask any questions you might have and I'll be happy to help you though the install, as would other members I'm sure.

I would greatly appreciate the help! I intended to reply sooner but got caught up, then spaced it. The sun is rising later & setting earlier everyday up here so I need to get this handled ASAP.

If I should start a new post in the proper section of the forum, please advise & I will do so.

Yes, you are correct in your assumption regarding the functionality I want from this type of switch.

I have a 30" Rough Country dual row black series (NON-DRL) with supplied harness. I called & spoke with tech support & the dude said to wire this type of switch, I would cut the supplied switch, run the blue wire to the output of the new switch, white to input/constant on, & lastly, run a wire from the last available post on the new switch to the high beam wire, splicing it in.

Am I understanding correctly?:

- Spliced wire to high beam to top "I" post on switch
- Blue harness wire to center/middle "O" post on switch
- White harness wire to bottom "II" post on switch

Few other questions:

- What color is the high beam wire? I read on one thread it is white with a green stripe but may be different on the truck I'm working on. 2014 1500 Tradesman 5.7 Hemi.

- Where should I tap into the high beam wire? Saw one guy tap in closer to main harness & another go right behind the driver side headlight.

- What size/gauge is this wire? If I am taping in, I need to know I'm buying the correct size t-tap. Preferably before I tear the front end apart as I am out in the boonies. 70 miles or so round trip to the closest auto parts store. No neighbors in sight is a beautiful thing.

- The dude from Rough Country also said that the supplied harness would work the way I want it to after connecting the 3-position switch & splicing into the high beam wire. I have read other threads where guys adamantly support making your own harness from scratch & using a relay & diode sourced elsewhere. They weren't ragging on R/C specifically or anything, just general rule of thumb. What are your thoughts?

Any applicable reference material, links, pictures, etc. that you may have handy would be awesome too. I'm a visual/hands on type learner. Technical text, I just glaze over.

Please advise if there is anything I'm missing or tips/tricks you learned during your install. I like to gather as much information as possible beforehand so I not only get it right the first time but so I don't have a rig clogging up the shop any longer than necessary.

Thank you in advance! I greatly appreciate any insight you're able to provide.

610JdcadEEL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca