Inaccurate GPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MSgtZ

MSgtZ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes the dealers can do the updates, mine was going to charge me $125 for doing it, but as the radio failed during the update (see my post above) I had no charges in the end. My dealer took great care of me with this issue.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Well went to leave on a 300 mile round trip in mine today. Set my destination while in my driveway and started off down the road. After a few miles I notice my nav isn't showing me on any roads and the roads it shows aren't matching up with where I am. Pull over and turn it off to see if it 're-calibrates' or anything. Nope. So get to where I'm going and it is showing me in the middle of Lake Erie about 100 miles from where I was. Did a soft reset by going into settings and using the reset function. Still no change. Any ideas? Everything else on it works fine and it worked fine last time I used it.

EDIT: my SiriusXM started working about 2 months ago which I assume was a free week subscription or something. Well until today it was still active. It got switched off a few hours after I left home this morning. Not sure if there is any relation?

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Called UConnect this morning after disconnecting the battery with no luck. He had me try a few things then drive to an open lot and drive counter-clockwise 5x then shut truck off, open drivers door about 30 seconds, close door, start truck back up then hold the VR button and the button next to it (can't remember what it was) for 30 seconds then try again. No luck. I asked if my software was up to date and he confirmed it was but told me how to check it. Well mine had no numbers. Just gave a link to a panasonic site then had a disclaimer under it for reverse engineering, blah, blah, blah. So he is thinking since there was no version number that my whole unit might be going bad. Called the dealer and have to drop it off Monday night. Will update.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just to expand on what clifford15 said: The reason it needs to be updated is that last November a counter variable in the GPS Satellite data stream rolled over back to 0 and pretty much every GPS receiver in the world needed an update to accommodate it. Mine showed me in the next state before I updated it.

-K

Dang not sure how I missed this... I'm still on 17. something. Guess its time to update. Mine does get spotty at times. Now I have to remember how to update it since mine is an upgraded to 8.4 deal and won't do OTA/no Uconnect. o_O

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dang not sure how I missed this... I'm still on 17. something. Guess its time to update. Mine does get spotty at times. Now I have to remember how to update it since mine is an upgraded to 8.4 deal and won't do OTA/no Uconnect. o_O

You'll need to go to the UConnect site, enter the VIN of the truck the radio came from, d/l the update and follow the included instructions for doing it from a USB stick.

If you don't have the VIN, then you can pull VINs of trucks equipped with the same radio from eBay, auto trader, etc and try them until you find one that hasn't been already updated. I find that pulling them from salvage yard sites gets better results as the wrecked trucks are less likely to have been updated.

Or, you might be able to download it from the firmware thread here, if the one for your radio is available. If it happens to be a RA4 from a 2016, I might be able to hook you up, I think I still have the download file for mine.

-K

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah thanks I had the instructions saved from before and a VIN... just had to go re-read the info. Already downloaded, was getting ready to run out and update it but it started raining lol...

Reactions: kad

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Finished the update, no issues. GPS working great again :). I even thought it might have fixed my random channel dropping b/c it didn't do it for a few days but unfortunately it did come back. So I'm back to changing out the DSP for something else (PAC, DSR1) or just changing out the radio to an aftermarket setup :(

FiverPuller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
While on this thread about GPS.... my "directions" work just fine, however what drives me crazy in the mis-pronunciation of simple everyday words! And worse is when they add a word to a street name. For example Temecula Parkway- the GPS says Temecula-la Parkway. There is a street Via Ricci... the GPS says Via "Duct" Ricci. Completely adding a word. A street named LaPas is pronounced L. A. Pas. The list I have is endless! Can't we really do better? We just landed on Mars for crying out loud!!!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
While on this thread about GPS.... my "directions" work just fine, however what drives me crazy in the mis-pronunciation of simple everyday words!
What everyday words to you are not necessarily used by others. You can always tell someone who isn't from the Detroit area if they butcher street names like Schoenherr and Livernois.
To make matters more interesting we have the Michigan left, for those that don't know you turn right at the intersection and then use a turn around lane. If you do find yourself in these parts and we give give you directions describing a Michigan left, that means we like you otherwise we're hoping the cops are busy pulling you over so we can speed by.. lol