Injectors that increase HP???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haze10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 24v diesel
Got a 3500 1998.5, 5.9L ,24V naturally aspirated, completely stock. I need a little more power when towing. I see companies like Dynomite Diesel Products that offer injectors for stock engines that claim an extra 50HP.

Couple of questions:
I understand the concept of adding more fuel to make more power, and I assume there is some extra air to support the fuel. But how is it that the injector can increase the fuel delivery. I would think its the VP44 injector pump that determines the displacement quantity of fuel. Is there actually excess capacity in the pump, and the injector just has a larger diameter bore to let the fuel pass faster. Any help here as how this works would be welcomed.

Is the +50HP claimed actually true?

IS DDP a good injector company, and are there any that are better?

thanks all

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would talk to a local diesel mechanic and see what they have to say about getting the power you're looking for. A buddy of mine is a Ford guy and has a pretty beefy power stroke. He added a tuner that allows him to change maps for different situations. It would be worth looking into something like that before you start diving into the injectors

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I agree with Rlaf75. My son's 06 CTD needed injectors and he opted for 50 over remanufactured ones and they didn't work right and he had to replace them again with new Bosch stock injectors and it was very spendy. I am sure your truck is not naturally aspirated. I believe all the IBS Cummins have a turbocharger, and your model year would be fixed vane turbo. An after market "chip" would be the answer to more grunt from your 5.9L. BTW, don't get carried away on the extra torque train if you are running a stock automatic trans, as too much muscle from that diesel beast can burn the guts out of a 47RE auto.

OP
OP
H

haze10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.4 24v diesel
Sorry, I was posting for friend and not able to see the engine, so I do read that they all were turbocharger equipped. Can you recommend an easy and safe way to tweek a little more power, what chip would he use, can he boost turbo pressure a little, is there a waste gate spring he can change?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
With the VP44 injection trucks, making HP isn't as simple as turning up fuel pressure or adding larger injectors due to the injection and limitations of the rest of the fuel system.
Best to find a shop that specializes in the older diesels if your looking to make more power.