Inop speakers. Diag help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Speakers at front right are inop. Dash and door.

I've tried numerous online resets. Tried battery disco. Tried different speakers. Checked wiring from the speaker back into the pillar and at the radio.

I have alfaobd but can't connect to the radio, seems I need a different adapter? If I were to get this adapter, what tools will I find in the radio? Have ye any other ideas?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Speakers at front right are inop. Dash and door.

I've tried numerous online resets. Tried battery disco. Tried different speakers. Checked wiring from the speaker back into the pillar and at the radio.

I have alfaobd but can't connect to the radio, seems I need a different adapter? If I were to get this adapter, what tools will I find in the radio? Have ye any other ideas?
The radios have a protection mode when they don't sense a load from the speaker they will shut off the output. If this is the case, try pulling the in-line radio fuse in the engine bay (near battery in front of the brake booster on drivers side).

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll give that a look tomorrow, been away this week. Thanks!

Picked the truck back up and had a short drive home during which I noticed the right rear speaker cut in and out a few times as well.

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Found the fuse and it did reset the radio, no change on the speakers.

I may do some wire ohming this weekend but I also have a set of colored adapters coming to see what alfaobd can do.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Found the fuse and it did reset the radio, no change on the speakers.

I may do some wire ohming this weekend but I also have a set of colored adapters coming to see what alfaobd can do.
Remember, there needs to be a load on the wire before the radio turns on after the fuse pull for it to read anything (because the radio may have already ceased output if there is no load). Also the door and dash are wired together (in series?) so it may be easier to start at the dash for ease of access.

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Also the door and dash are wired together (in series?) so it may be easier to start at the dash for ease of access.
The door and dash speakers are in parallel. If he can get to the radio harness and ohm out the speaker outputs he should be seeing 2.7 ohms on the front channels and 4 ohms on the rear.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The door and dash speakers are in parallel. If he can get to the radio harness and ohm out the speaker outputs he should be seeing 2.7 ohms on the front channels and 4 ohms on the rear.
Thanks, wasn't sure about the terminology...

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In my opinion, checking the speaker loads at the harness that connects to the radio is the easiest place to access them. The pins for each are below for reference. Should be ~2.7 ohms on the front channels and ~4 ohms on the rears.
IMG_0087.jpeg

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So... Some of the prior troubleshooting was done at the body shop (recent work including that door) while I was away.

Today I got to fool around more and, well, I'm a bit embarrassed. The aftermarket speaker in the front door is dead reading somewhere in the Mohm range. Put the stock speaker back in, reset the radio and all is well.

Always check the simple stuff.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So... Some of the prior troubleshooting was done at the body shop (recent work including that door) while I was away.

Today I got to fool around more and, well, I'm a bit embarrassed. The aftermarket speaker in the front door is dead reading somewhere in the Mohm range. Put the stock speaker back in, reset the radio and all is well.

Always check the simple stuff.
At least it was easy and not something more serious! Glad you got it sorted!