Installed Start-X remote starter on 2015 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2015 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab 5.7L key start. (Not push button start)

Ok, did the Start-X remote starter today. It was literally plug-and-play.

Two Phillip's head screws and you pull the lower panel off below the steering wheel.

Super easy. Two harnesses to connect under the dash. One is piggy backed to the OBD2 connector and the other is piggy backed to the back of the ignition key switch. A wire connects between the two.
The harness then connects to a small control box.

You then go through a series of procedures. Close the driver's door, open it, go through some motions with the ignition key fob. Once you're done, pull the small control box and plug it into a computer to flash it. You have to download an application for flashing. I did it on my Mac. Funny thing is that I already had that program from when I installed the aftermarket stereo.

Anyway, very easy job and it works great. Three pushes on the lock button of the truck's existing factory remote and it starts up.
Unlock the door, get in, put the key in the ignition and turn it. You're good to go and drive away.
If you step on the brake before you turn the key, it will shut off.

No more cutting into a gazillion wires like in the past.

Nice and neat and they give you a pry tool to pull out the lower dash panel and to release the OBD2 connector, plus a handful of tie wraps to make it all nice and tidy.
$189 on Amazon.
We had inquired with an independent shop last year and his price was $350. Who knows what he charges now with the state of this economy.

This Start-X was a big money saver and super easy to setup.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
yes very good remote start system put the start X on my 2014 nice little setup compared to other hard wired systems I put remote start on my car and took 3.5 hrs of wiring to get same results love the start X system

OP
OP
P

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Years ago I installed a remote starter on my 2008 Ford Ranger. I had to tap into a huge amount of wires under the steering column. A lot of stripping and soldering and the control box was huge compared to this tiny thing. It took hours. It worked fine, but it wasn't as convenient as this system because it had it's own remotes. So you needed to carry another key fob.

Modern technology...it's not always a bad thing!