installing tool box on bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakotamar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I want to put a back rack and tool box on my truck but I see I have to put a strengthening piece on the box now. does anyone have an aftermarket source for these or do I have to pay the dealers exorbitant price? anyone install them and have pics?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I'm a bit confused . not hard to do FYI lol. What is the strengthening piece your talking about ? When I got my Back Rack I had the choice of mounts. With a Rail Mount to box, or a standard mount w/o a box ! As far as I know a rail mounted box is strong as is ! I assume I am missing something in this,it is easy for me to get lost lol..

Why do you need a dealer to install the Back Rack ?You getting lights installed ? It is very easy to install in the pockets on the bed ! The front pocket is covered in this plastic that you can cut with a razor knife !

OP
OP
D

dakotamar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm a bit confused . not hard to do FYI lol. What is the strengthening piece your talking about ? When I got my Back Rack I had the choice of mounts. With a Rail Mount to box, or a standard mount w/o a box ! As far as I know a rail mounted box is strong as is ! I assume I am missing something in this,it is easy for me to get lost lol..

Why do you need a dealer to install the Back Rack ?You getting lights installed ? It is very easy to install in the pockets on the bed ! The front pocket is covered in this plastic that you can cut with a razor knife !

installing the rack is not the problem. I thought I read somewhere that the box cannot hold the weight of a toolbox without extra support pieces. just relooking in the manual and can't find that info. will have to try and find it tomorrow.

OP
OP
D

dakotamar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
NOTE: If you are installing a Toolbox, Ladder Rack or
Headache Rack at the front of the Pickup Box, you must
use Mopar Box Reinforcement Brackets that are available
from your authorized dealer.

from page 201 of the 2017 manual.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
NOTE: If you are installing a Toolbox, Ladder Rack or
Headache Rack at the front of the Pickup Box, you must
use Mopar Box Reinforcement Brackets that are available
from your authorized dealer.

from page 201 of the 2017 manual.
Thanks for the Update! I did not know that! I will have to look them up lol My tool Box is in the bed as I did not want to block my rear view!

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I bought a 50$ fiber reinforced tool box and strapped it down to the side cargo loops and a piece of anti fatigue mat under it to avoid rattle.
On each side between the ratchet cargo straps fit perfectly a square 5 gallon ful tank. Works great and is cheap!
Should you install a bed rail tool box then i suggest to make spacers between the tool box and the bed to avoid that the tool box sag in the center.
Here it's full of people paying 400$ for a over rail tool box and after month they sag badly as the box is supended in the air and just hanging on the bed rail.
Chris

OP
OP
D

dakotamar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I already have a over the rail toolbox. I may just put some support under it to keep the weight off the top rail of the box. mine has never sagged but it is a thicker tool box and I don't really load it up.

OP
OP
D

dakotamar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the Update! I did not know that! I will have to look them up lol My tool Box is in the bed as I did not want to block my rear view!

if it is sitting in the bed I don't think you have a problem. it is for boxes sitting on the box rails.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I bought a 50$ fiber reinforced tool box and strapped it down to the side cargo loops and a piece of anti fatigue mat under it to avoid rattle.
On each side between the ratchet cargo straps fit perfectly a square 5 gallon ful tank. Works great and is cheap!
l.
Chris
I mounted my Bed Box like you did! I used the cargo straps as well, Wrapped back and forth at least 6 time so pretty sturdy !Also easy to disconnect if I need to remove it !

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I want to put a back rack and tool box on my truck but I see I have to put a strengthening piece on the box now. does anyone have an aftermarket source for these or do I have to pay the dealers exorbitant price? anyone install them and have pics?

On my Dodge 2500 work truck I installed a weatherguard cross bed toolbox that sat on the bed rails. These are probably the best box you can buy but they are heavy. Once loaded with tools it probably weights 500 lbs. After a couple of years the welded corners of the top rail were cracking from fatigue. That may explain the need for the additional support pieces.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
if it is sitting in the bed I don't think you have a problem. it is for boxes sitting on the box rails.
Yea I assumed that :) BUT a buddy is going to get a Bed Rail Box so I will pass on the info ! You may have saved a lot of people getting damage to their truck beds

OP
OP
D

dakotamar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had mine sitting on the rails on my 08 and never a problem. didn't get it put on my 15 as it was a short box and i didn't want it hogging up all the room. never read the manual on the 15 so don't know if that is a problem for that year. have to look into what the support kit looks like for the 17.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Second truck this tool box has been 7 years old now. Paid $250 for it and have been beat up pretty good. Used to hold all my work tools load and unload every day. You can by top end tool boxes they are very nice and hold up really well. It all depends on what your going to with it and if you want the bling and price tag on your truck. If your going to just use it as storage then why spend $800 on a box.

20190310_164451.jpg