Insurance for Extended Time @ Dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just sold a vehicle to a friend/employee and the tranny blew. Luckily it has Maxcare warranty coverage but the transfer of ownership paperwork can take up to 60 days to "process" and the tranny is also currently on backorder and the dealer won't start sourcing it until the warranty has been processed. So, the vehicle could sit at the dealer for several months or more and my friend was thinking of cancelling the insurance. I told him to check with the dealer and am thinking they must have some clause in the fine print that if a tree falls on it or it gets burned up that they aren't responsible? I guess the root of the question would be, is the dealer responsible for vehicles in their care?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Depends a whole lot on what happens to the truck in terms of damage. Also, livery and bailment laws vary a lot by location, at least here in Canada. Personally, I would leave fire, theft and vandalism on it at a minimum.

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would talk with the insurance agent/rep and see what they say. Laws can differ pending location, but I know in my state a dealership is only responsible for certain types of damages. I know the dealership insurance, at least here, is not responsible for any acts of nature like hail or storm damage (or a tree falling on it). I would also be asking about fire and theft coverage.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If he talks to his insurance company they likely will have a reduced rate plan since it can’t be driven. I was rehabbing an old Eclipse in my garage and the insurance company kept the coverage and lowered the rate considerably. The only clause was the car couldn’t be driven more than 100 mi/month.