Intake Whistle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh.Larsen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I own a 2005 1500 with a 4.7 magnum. Lately Iv decided to buy a cold air intake for it. So I removed the factory intake, and fitted on the new one. My problem is that every time I'm on the highway or just cruising I hear a whistle , it only happens when moving and the RPMs are between 1000 and 3000. it only starts to whistle when the pedal is 1/4 pushed down, the sound fluctuates with the pedals angle, if I push the pedal farther than it will go away, or if a let off the gas. Its not just a slight whistle either you can hear it over the radio. Iv cleaned the throttle body and around the intake really good. any ideas? Could the old intake cover up that sound? Also the weather around here is about 15F.
It even does it with no intake on it.
Many thanks Josh.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
When i changed the intake on my 04 dakota it did the same thing. It had the 4.7 in it too. The design of the stock air box is to reduce noise as much as possible.
In the 9 plus years i owned it the noise never changed so i wouldnt worry about. You would need the stock air box if you want it muffled again tho.

icywhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah the intake box cuts the nosie down alot i have the intake sucking sound in mine but i love the sound of it sucking air in.

but if its not i can understand how it can drive you crazy since i put on my headers i have had a whistle to like headers were leaking now 6 months after putting them on and tring to tighten them many times with now help then i crank it up i get this loud sound and then on more noise just as i was to buy another set of header. now i think it was a bad cat that blew on though.

OP
OP
J

Josh.Larsen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Guys, Iv just put the original intake back on and leave it. Might just get a K&N Original replacement filter for it.