Interior compatibility between ST and Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kditchburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

So I have a 2010 Ram 1500 ST with the 5.7 Hemi, a friend of mine has a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7 Hemi which has sadly been rolled recently and is basically a write off. The interior however is still in immaculate shape. He's willing to sell me the truck for $500 as a parts truck. (Which for the Alpine speaker system alone is worth it for me) I was just wondering how much of that interior I could swap into my truck. The Alpine system with the head unit, heated/cooled leather seats, the higher end steering wheel, etc...

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I don't have first hand knowledge but IIRM, I'd just measure up the mounts to see if they are the same and go ahead if they are. Because you have the whole truck, harnesses, modules etc are there and you could exchange them. As with the radio it will probably require some codes either from the dealer or aftermarket electronics.

Not sure about the 10/12 years but my 14 Sport (Laramie level) seats were way more comfortable than the 14 Big Horn and lower level seats I sat in.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
As for the sound system, if your going through the trouble of dealing it out, you would be millions of miles ahead putting in a real system with great sound, vs putting in the mediocre alpine system that doesn't sound all that great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 12 interior will fit your 10 nicely. Its the 13+ that's a bit different due to having airbags inside the seats, where the 9 to 12 did not.

Beware the wiring harnesses, FCA changes connectors sometimes. For example when I put a 14 Laramie interior into my 15 Tradesman, there was one connector in the body harness (the primary wiring harness running through the interior of the truck) which has a connector at the back of the left front tire that is a body harness to chassis harness connector that was different. All other connectors were the same for me.

You can always take specific wires out of a harness and move them to a different one, I had a IP (Instrument Panel) harness from a 14 Laramie that had an 8 speed. While my tradesman had a 6 speed column shift. So I took two "circuits" out of my 15 IP harness that deal with the column shift gear selection and BTSI (brake / transmission lockout) and transferred them into the 14 harness.

So... what you are wanting to do, can be done. But be ready for little issues like this. It is not hard to take most of the wiring connectors apart and transfer wires or connectors from one harness to another, but it will help immensely if you have the wiring diagrams for both years of trucks.

I've made 40+ mods to my 2015 Tradesman, with a lot of them requiring wiring modifications, and the wiring diagrams were a massive help, along with AlfaOBD to make changes to the BCM to turn features on/off as required.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The 12 interior will fit your 10 nicely. Its the 13+ that's a bit different due to having airbags inside the seats, where the 9 to 12 did not.

Beware the wiring harnesses, FCA changes connectors sometimes. For example when I put a 14 Laramie interior into my 15 Tradesman, there was one connector in the body harness (the primary wiring harness running through the interior of the truck) which has a connector at the back of the left front tire that is a body harness to chassis harness connector that was different. All other connectors were the same for me.

You can always take specific wires out of a harness and move them to a different one, I had a IP (Instrument Panel) harness from a 14 Laramie that had an 8 speed. While my tradesman had a 6 speed column shift. So I took two "circuits" out of my 15 IP harness that deal with the column shift gear selection and BTSI (brake / transmission lockout) and transferred them into the 14 harness.

So... what you are wanting to do, can be done. But be ready for little issues like this. It is not hard to take most of the wiring connectors apart and transfer wires or connectors from one harness to another, but it will help immensely if you have the wiring diagrams for both years of trucks.

I've made 40+ mods to my 2015 Tradesman, with a lot of them requiring wiring modifications, and the wiring diagrams were a massive help, along with AlfaOBD to make changes to the BCM to turn features on/off as required.

Incorrect. My 2012 has SRS air bags in the seats. I literally just swapped 2015 sport heated and cooled leathers into my truck and had to swap the air bags from my stock seats into the 2015 seats so I didn’t have air bag error codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hello,

So I have a 2010 Ram 1500 ST with the 5.7 Hemi, a friend of mine has a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7 Hemi which has sadly been rolled recently and is basically a write off. The interior however is still in immaculate shape. He's willing to sell me the truck for $500 as a parts truck. (Which for the Alpine speaker system alone is worth it for me) I was just wondering how much of that interior I could swap into my truck. The Alpine system with the head unit, heated/cooled leather seats, the higher end steering wheel, etc...

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Everything will bolt up, and mount the same. Literally every single part is interchangeable. The Laramie leather seats will bolt right up and if your current Ram has manual seats, you can hook up a 12v power wire to them to get the power going in them. If you want the heat/cooled function, you will need the modules and harnesses from the Laramie which leads me to my next point.

Wiring is another story.

I would invest in AlfaOBD so you can activate the Laramie features once you swap them over instead of going to the dealer and being charged hundreds for them to add sales codes to activate the stuff you add.

You might get lucky and find you have some of the wiring harnesses for some of the features. If not, you have the wiring in the donor truck and you can pull it all out.

OP
OP
K

kditchburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you everyone for your help. So so the general consensus is that it can be done but that it would be incredibly helpful to invest in an AlphaOBD, and have the wiring diagrams for the two vehicles.
So, where might one be able to get the wiring diagrams for both vehicles? And from what I understand, the AlphaOBD is an application that works as an OBD scanner and can also activate and deactivate certain processes in the computer system without taking it to a dealership. And correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to have a Bluetooth OBD connector to use the application? If so, does anyone have any good recommendations to be paired with the application?

Thank you for your time.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you everyone for your help. So so the general consensus is that it can be done but that it would be incredibly helpful to invest in an AlphaOBD, and have the wiring diagrams for the two vehicles.
So, where might one be able to get the wiring diagrams for both vehicles? And from what I understand, the AlphaOBD is an application that works as an OBD scanner and can also activate and deactivate certain processes in the computer system without taking it to a dealership. And correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to have a Bluetooth OBD connector to use the application? If so, does anyone have any good recommendations to be paired with the application?

Thank you for your time.

Yes. Buy this Bluetooth OBD. It’s the most used by members on here for AlfaOBD. I also use it personally and works perfect.

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SQvuFb7ZJTDQP

Then purchase and download AlfaOBD from the android marketplace. If you do not have any android devices, you can use the windows version but I’ve heard it doesn’t have same features. You can buy a super cheap “pre paid android phone” for boost mobile or one of those carriers, you can pick one up from Best Buy for around $40-$50 and if your just using it for AlfaOBD it should be fine buying a cheap phone. Or buy an Amazon Fire tablet for $40-$50.