Intermittent hesitation/ sputter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crownmark70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I have a very nice short wheelbase 2002 Ram Van with a remanufactured 5.2 Magnum. I have about 35,000 miles on the new engine. It has 150,000 original miles. Van runs great except for an occasional very brief hesitation or sputter which occurs most often on acceleration but can occur at any time. It’s usually one brief hesitation but once in a while it will hesitate or sputter twice back to back. No backfire. It idles fine generally but on a couple occasions it has stalled but started right back up and ran fine. The van has dual exhaust with dual cats and dual Flowmasters. Still has original 46RE transmission which seems to be shifting fine. There are days when it does not hesitate/ sputter at all. It seems to occur more often when engine is warming up but has occurred after engine is warm. Just about every sensor was changed when the new engine was installed a couple years ago. Also spark plugs, fuel pump, and fuel injectors. I drive it on regular basis but it’s not my daily driver. I do auto restoration work on the side and I use it related to that and for recreational use. It has the optional factory trailer tow package but I have rarely used it for towing. Any suggestions?

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed fuel pump in fall of 2022. It has a built in fuel filter within the pump itself.
Doesn't mean there isn't contaminated fuel - a filter pretty much only filters out solid contaminants. Also, since you changed it in 2022, a wire/connection might be lose.

Cerd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you happen to check the battery? I have noticed some odd issues on Dodge when the battery is marginal.