Intermittent Sputtering - No check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JR9633

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L w/116K miles

Been experiencing something a little puzzling I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on.

I’ve been experiencing intermittent missing/sputtering while driving, most noticeable at freeway speeds, but happens at any speed. Almost feels for a split second like I’ve got an engine misfire or I’m running out of fuel, but then returns to running like normal for a minute or so before doing it again. After driving for a while (half hour or so), if I cut the engine and then start it again, the start seems slowed/struggled a little.

No check engine lights on and not a gauge out of place on the dash. I’ve recently had the battery load tested, spark plugs replaced, coolant system serviced, and transfer case serviced.

I do live in Arizona where it’s currently 115 degrees everyday, but unsure if that’s related or not. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It sounds like your describing when MDS kicks on and off as the truck ages you will feel mds kick on and off hence why alot of us dissable it its useless and serves no purpose. Put the truck in towhaul mode or put it into manual and drive bet the issue goes away.

OP
OP
JR9633

JR9633

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It sounds like your describing when MDS kicks on and off as the truck ages you will feel mds kick on and off hence why alot of us dissable it its useless and serves no purpose. Put the truck in towhaul mode or put it into manual and drive bet the issue goes away.
I agree it does feel similar to that. I almost always drive in manual because I hate it as well, but still experience the issue. I have not tried tow/haul mode though

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree it does feel similar to that. I almost always drive in manual because I hate it as well, but still experience the issue. I have not tried tow/haul mode though
In that case if your sure mds is not kicking in you will need someone with a decent scantool to look at live data while driving when the issue occurs.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Gas, air, and spark... Hot dense air is most likely the culprit if it never happened when it was 20f cooler, like 20 days ago I hear? Is all that correct? You use 91 octane? Eventhough the engine will compensate, I'd try it. New air high air flow filter might be a good idea.

OP
OP
JR9633

JR9633

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Gas, air, and spark... Hot dense air is most likely the culprit if it never happened when it was 20f cooler, like 20 days ago I hear? Is all that correct? You use 91 octane? Eventhough the engine will compensate, I'd try it. New air high air flow filter might be a good idea.
You are correct, it was not happening prior to the current heat wave. I have had it out here for a number of summers though with similar temps. I typically run 89 octane, but I did fill it with 91 today with a fuel system treatment. It acted the same on the 25 miles home from work, but I'll drive it a while longer to see if it makes a difference on that fuel.

OP
OP
JR9633

JR9633

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Update: Took it to a shop, they test drove it and experienced similar symptoms. They believe it’s a shudder caused by the torque converter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca