Is 35-45mph overdrive? '11 4.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Friedchicken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 ram 1500 with a 4.7. Regular traffic driving,if I accelerate very easily, when I hit about 35 and all the way through about 45mph the rpms drop alot. Feels like overdrive. Like giving it more gas barely does anything to speed the truck up unless a give it alot of gas to make it downshift out of it to get passed 45mph then it's back to a normal pedal/power feeling. I can upshift out of it, but have to keep pressed very lightly on the gas and it takes awhile. Is this normal? Is it overdrive? It still does it in tow/haul mode but not as bad. This is my first dodge, I've only had the truck a couple weeks

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 11 5.7 does something very similar. It'll upshift whilst puttering, around 40-45mph. I just use the slapstick to get the truck into 4th.

I have a HemiFever tune that will take of that. I botched the install.im going to try again.

OP
OP
Friedchicken

Friedchicken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 11 5.7 does something very similar. It'll upshift whilst puttering, around 40-45mph. I just use the slapstick to get the truck into 4th.

I have a HemiFever tune that will take of that. I botched the install.im going to try again.
Let me know how it works out. I've been thinking of getting a tuner. I love everything about this truck except the shifting. If I can figure a way to change things a little bit with it. What handheld tuners are the ones I want for my truck? Never had a tuner before. Is there a name for the tune u were talking about? Or what does that tune consist of?

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Matt @ Moe's can tell you about tuners available for your truck. I have the Diablosport tuner, with a HemiFever tune. I'm very pleased with it.

The only tiny complaint I have is the truck will sometimes shift into 5th when I wish it stayed in 4th. This only happens when I'm puttering around in town. My cure is to use the Slap Stick in the truck to limit the transmission to not shif any higher than 4th.

Puttering around (and saving gas) is NOT what my truck was meant to do. It wants to be driven at least a little aggressively.