Is Cruise Control Actually Plug-n-Play?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
My '06 ST (With the mighty 3.7 V6) has the little black thingys on the steering wheel instead of cruise control switches. To put it simply the truck doesn't have the switches installed.

I've heard about 28 different responses of "Plug-n-play!" to "It'll work but it needs to be flashed by the dealer" and then "Servo, vacuum hoses and all the works needs to be installed"

So basically, I'm trying to figure out which one applies to my truck without me spending 60 potentially wasted dollars and the minimal risk of airbag shrapnel in my face

Scott Saxton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever get a reply to your question? I have a similar situation. I purchased a truck without cruise and want to know what it takes to install a factory system on mine. Are the components "plug and play"?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Considering it's an 06 but with a cable TB it will be a combo of both. Will need all the apparatus to connect to both the engine, servo, PCM (if memory serves), wiring to the switches. If it doesn't work at that point (assuming everything is hooked up properly) then the computer will need to be flashed so that the CAN bus recognizes the install and enables it (like they have to do with factory fog light add ons).