Is everything prewired?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig614

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I traded in my 09 Ram 1500 and got a great deal on a pre-certified 2016 Ram 2500HD SLT. The truck is great and I want to make modifications to upgrade it such as add Power tow mirrors, Self dimming rearview mirror with U-connect, add OEM GPS and so on. My question is does Ram use the same wiring harness an all the trucks and just attach the equipment based on what the factory is told to add? So if I have basic heated mirrors is the wiring there to add powered directional, heated tow mirrors? I got a great deal on this truck and want to make it better.

Thanks!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I traded in my 09 Ram 1500 and got a great deal on a pre-certified 2016 Ram 2500HD SLT. The truck is great and I want to make modifications to upgrade it such as add Power tow mirrors, Self dimming rearview mirror with U-connect, add OEM GPS and so on. My question is does Ram use the same wiring harness an all the trucks and just attach the equipment based on what the factory is told to add? So if I have basic heated mirrors is the wiring there to add powered directional, heated tow mirrors? I got a great deal on this truck and want to make it better.

Thanks!
You can easily add all those functions. You can add the factory RA4 Nav radio. Look for one out of a 16 or newer Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ram pickup. The 13 to 15 will also work but the 16 and up is preferred in the event you ever decide to install the Cargo Cam option plus they have Travelink and Traffic free for five years. There are several for sale on Ebay for around $500 dollars. The part number you want is VP4 NA. The NA stands for North America. There is no special programming needed and the radio doesn't need to be programmed to your Vin# as some online sellers claim. The radio will automatically connect to your BCM and read your Vin# when installed. All you will need to do is get the 4 digit unlock code for the radio from the dealer or several places online. Check out the 4Gen DIY section for complete write ups on the conversion. You can contact M2 Mods who is a vendor on the forum to buy the harness to do the full conversion with the factory bezel
The auto dim rearview mirror will work with the mirror harness that the truck should currently have as long as you already have a microphone mirror. The correct code will need to be enabled in the BCM in order for the auto dim to function. Since your truck is an SLT the dealer may be able to enable it because your trim level allows it or you can easily enable in with the alfa OBD tool along with pretty much any other options you may want.
You can also install Tow Mirrors plug and play and they will work but you will also need to enable the Tow Mirror code via the dealer or the alfa OBD tool so they will adjust correctly when flipped up. Since your truck did not come with the Uconnect 8.4 from the factory you will not be able to use the Uconnect such as remote starting the truck from your phone ect but the Travel Link, Real Time Traffic and many other features still work fine. I reccomend you check out the 4th Gen DIY section on the forum plus the (alfa OBD) thread to see the options available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk