Is the battery covered under Rams 3/36 basic warranty.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I would be pushing back on the dealership if me. Below is out of my 2015 warranty booklet as the battery is not excluded from the 3/36K warranty language and should be covered. Only other thing that the warranty booklet gives is a separate 12 month, 12K miles warranty on brakes, clutch, wiper blades, wheel alignments and windshields. Still nothing that excludes the battery from not being covered.

warranty.jpg

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I have a 2014 Dodge RAM 2500 Diesel. I have 56K miles on it. Took it to the Dodge dealer today and I was told I have to purchase 2 new batteries.

I said this truck is 2 years old. I was told the battery has 3 years / 36,000 mile warranty. Who warranties a battery for 36,000 miles???? DODGE!

And to make it even worse; they wanted to sell me 2 new batteries that have 2 years / 24,000 mile warranty.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! This is my second Dodge RAM truck. It's been in the shop for 7 recalls; 3 engine lights on, etc.

Warranty is 3 years OR 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. You're at 56,000 miles, seems pretty obvious why they want you to pay for stuff after this that's not drivetrain related. If it was 37,000 miles then yeah, argue it. You might want to check your entitlement, it's showing.

motogripper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
I appreciate your quick response

As you may know I wasn't a very happy person when they told me this stuff.

I even called Chrysler and talked to a customer service rep. She also told me the same thing. 3yrs/30K. She did say I could send an e-mail to Chrysler and Chrysler might reimburse me for the new batteries (how much she wouldn't say).

But why would I do that when the new batteries have a 2yr/24K warranty. I went to Pep Boys and for the $500 I would get 2 batteries that have a 4year replacement warranty with NO MILEAGE LIMIT.

Thanks again for your response.

motogripper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
I've been in this world for almost 70 years and have never heard that batteries have a mileage amount attached to it. I called Sears, Pep Boys and about another 6 companies that sell batteries and NOT ONE said their batteries have a mileage limitation.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I've been in this world for almost 70 years and have never heard that batteries have a mileage amount attached to it. I called Sears, Pep Boys and about another 6 companies that sell batteries and NOT ONE said their batteries have a mileage limitation.

Apples and oranges comparing the warranty of an OEM installed battery and what a replacement aftermarket battery warranty is.

I have been only driving 30+ years with many new vehicles under my belt and can never recall one instance were an OEM installed battery was just year based for warranty like a replacement aftermarket is. As far as I can recall, it was always tied into either the vehicle warranty on years/mileage, or was on a separate warranty period like 12 months/12K miles.

I get your frustration but on the same token, they gotten stick a pin in it for warranty purposes and the sad fact still does not change you are out of warranty coverage. The bad thing about dual battery setups for diesels is that once one battery goes to crap, it eventually draws the other battery down with it. That is one of the many high costs of having a diesel.

motogripper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Not sure I was comparing the OEM vs aftermarket. What I was upset about was the mileage "thing". I guess I'll have to start reading the warranty specs for all my vehicles.

I own a Harley and I haven't been able to find where the battery has a mileage rating.

Anyway, I'll get over it. My friends who own Chevy and Fords response was "You got to be kidding!"

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Anyway, I'll get over it. My friends who own Chevy and Fords response was "You got to be kidding!"

I looked up both Ford and Chevy's warranty and Ford's has the same basic language as FCA and Chevy only gives their battery a 12 month warranty. So the grass is not greener there either.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you buy a battery at an Autozone, NAPA, or other chain type business, the warranty is time based. The last battery I bought was from Auto zone and had a 5 year warranty. At the 3 year mark it died after several days of particularly cold weather. I paid roughly $70 to replace it with a $160 dollar battery which was an upgrade. Those chain stores give you great deals on battery warranties. O'Reilly Auto Parts even gave me money for recycling my lawn mower battery (like $15 store credit).

I attach any accessories I've added to the accessory lug on the fuse box instead of directly to the battery. It's my understanding that this stops devices from being able to kill my battery...someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I work at a parts house, when my battery died I took time fitting different sizes in and eventually fit a slightly larger battery with over 1000 cranking amp and 900 CCA and a way longer reserve time than the factory size battery and it cost me about 60 less than the battery that mopar recommended with the 5 yr warranty. all I had to do was trim the plastic shims inside the box and get a longer tie down bolt. fits factory otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I work at a parts house, when my battery died I took time fitting different sizes in and eventually fit a slightly larger battery with over 1000 cranking amp and 900 CCA and a way longer reserve time than the factory size battery and it cost me about 60 less than the battery that mopar recommended with the 5 yr warranty. all I had to do was trim the plastic shims inside the box and get a longer tie down bolt. fits factory otherwise

This^^^

When your factory battery goes, it's time for an aftermarket upgrade.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I highly recommend taking time to find an aftermarket battery. thicker grids, better reserve time, incredible warranty. I don't speak for all of the chains but I know the chain I work for does a special gold battery with a 5 year total warranty. that's 3 year replacement with a 2 year proration. I won't have to buy another battery for a long time. if it fails, I'll just warranty it. worst case scenario, I'll pay a small cost due to proration if I'm out of my warranty.

give me a few and I'll shoot photos of the battery I got, showing stock fitment and part number

klittle2222

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
64b5c01bbc4d0e2ee362c839bb11c1aa.jpg
I've owned my vehicle a little over a year and had to get mine replaced. As you can see it was covered under warranty.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
H8 group size. I'm pretty sure our trucks are an H6 but I didn't want to spend for a dry cell because the warranty isn't as long. no cut up box, just snipped out the shims for the smaller box and it fits perfect. has a lot more oomph than the H6 too

4df30ed38140d44ec9bb11963a89c66e.jpg744d293d6bf6a421fa1a1ade5a1878c3.jpg9e0b1e76518a54b33eed8b2aa1c86a62.jpg

ICEChargerRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think your battery is covered under the 3/36 warranty. I had a battery replaced under warranty a few years ago on my then 2 year old Charger.

johniew398

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what one Dodge dealer states on their website which goes along with with ICEChargerRT said:

Battery Warranties: The battery that came with your new vehicle is covered under your New Car Warranty Period for 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500