Just had first issue with 2019 Laramie.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Yesterday We were 30 miles out of town visiting a small country church. When we arrived I had to push the stop engine button 5 times to get the truck to shut off. After service no amount of pushing start button would crank the engine. I used remote start and of course when I got in and touched the break the truck dies. After going on Youtube I realized the switch was dead. I used Uconnect app to request roadside assistance. In about 2 hours they showed up and took it to the nearest dealer. I know anything mechanical or electric will occasionally fail but am depressed about it anyway.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yesterday We were 30 miles out of town visiting a small country church. When we arrived I had to push the stop engine button 5 times to get the truck to shut off. After service no amount of pushing start button would crank the engine. I used remote start and of course when I got in and touched the break the truck dies. After going on Youtube I realized the switch was dead. I used Uconnect app to request roadside assistance. In about 2 hours they showed up and took it to the nearest dealer. I know anything mechanical or electric will occasionally fail but am depressed about it anyway.
I am sorry to hear this. Does you truck have the start stop on it? I know we have had issues with our Pacifica, my parents are having similar issues with the 21 Pacifica. I believe a hand full of people have had similar issues. It could be the Aux battery, but not 100% certain. Depends on if you have the start stop mess when you stop and at idle it kills the engine is what I am speaking of.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I hate that stop start, ordered an override for my Jeep yesterday, see they make them for the new Rams. Keeps it off so you dont have to push the button everytime.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hate that stop start, ordered an override for my Jeep yesterday, see they make them for the new Rams. Keeps it off so you dont have to push the button everytime.
I did not know they offered a override! I hate it too. Start car turn that crap off. Ours went out 1 year in and 13k miles. My mom just bought a 21 last month and 3 weeks in hers was acting up.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I installed a stop/start eliminator a couple weeks ago. It is working great. I haven't had to touch the button since installing it. Best $99 I've spend on this truck so far.

OP
OP
KC5TGQ

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
The dealer called and said a small ring broke inside the mechanism. All internet service is down at FCA parts. Whenever it comes back on they will order a new one. I will look into the bypass switch.

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I installed a stop/start eliminator a couple weeks ago. It is working great. I haven't had to touch the button since installing it. Best $99 I've spend on this truck so far.
thats the one I ordered, $99 shipped, DEAL

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealer called and said a small ring broke inside the mechanism. All internet service is down at FCA parts. Whenever it comes back on they will order a new one. I will look into the bypass switch.
Good to hear its nothing major. This is one reason why I love my 12 ram. Minimal electronics same truck.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Good to hear its nothing major. This is one reason why I love my 12 ram. Minimal electronics same truck.
Hahaha...keep telling yourself that. 4th gens still have pretty sophisticated electronics. But nowhere near the same truck. Basically the same engine, and basically the same trans for later 4th gens, but virtually nothing else is the same. I'm not knocking 4th gens at all. I owned two of them. And I'm glade to hear you love your '12 Ram. :cheers:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Is this stop/start deal a federally-mandated fuel economy thing?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hahaha...keep telling yourself that. 4th gens still have pretty sophisticated electronics. But nowhere near the same truck. Basically the same engine, and basically the same trans for later 4th gens, but virtually nothing else is the same. I'm not knocking 4th gens at all. I owned two of them. And I'm glade to hear you love your '12 Ram. :cheers:
Trust me I love the 5th gen! Its a sexy beast. It was hard getting back into it as I was used to all of the technology my Durango R/T and Charger R/T had. Knock on wood its 10 years old never one issue.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just to clarify (for me) the small ring was on the button that starts and shuts off the engine? Correct? nothing to do with the start/stop?

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the start/stop feature an e-torque engine thing?

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just to clarify (for me) the small ring was on the button that starts and shuts off the engine? Correct? nothing to do with the start/stop?

That's what I read the OP's post to be. Not the start/stop while driving.
My push button start did not start my truck a couple days ago. I held the FOB right against the button and it still did not pick it up.
I ended up hitting the door lock button while I was inside the truck. It locked the doors. Then I hit the door unlock button and it un locked the doors like it should.
Then I tried the push button start again and the truck started fine. No issue since either, but also none before this one time. Truck is only 6 months old.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is actually designed to reduce emissions. Doesn’t have much effect on mpg.

I'll certainly agree that it has little effect, but these days they're at the point of diminishing return and taking every step they can for fuel mileage. It's primary goal is 100% fuel economy though, shutting the engine off will allow the converters to cool down which reduces their effectiveness upon restart. Obviously shutting the engine off means 0 emission during that time.