Just heard - Recall for Rams that may roll away after being parked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone here have a problem with their Ram rolling away on them.

Apparently there's a massive recall regarding this. This Motortrend article was the first I'd heard of it.

Drivers may exit the vehicle before the eight-speed automatic transmission is fully set in “Park,” and regulators have concluded that alerts aren’t adequate enough to warn drivers."

1 Million Ram and Dodge Vehicles Under Investigation for Rollaways - Motor Trend

Ram75

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is the first I have heard of it. I've had my 2015 Sport since Sept 28, 2015. I've only done it twice so far but I didn't make sure I turned the knob completely to park as I was stepping out and it ended up in reverse. Luckily I didn't step all the way out and I was able to apply the brakes. It was my own fault because I was in a rush, but I can see how it could be a problem if drivers aren't careful. Something definetely to be aware of.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I read it yesterday and started to post here. Not an official recall 'yet' but I can't imagine it'll be long....Who knows.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
GREAT heads up Thanks.. Guess they will hold off make it official even after someone gets killed :O

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Just read more of this today. Chrysler/ fiat is complying with this, but tilll there is a fix they suggest using your parking brake always to avoid the vehicle rolling away

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I blame Hollywood...

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well crud....

There was one instance where I lazily "flicked" the shift knob and it was in reverse instead of park. Barely moved before I hit the brake and there wasn't even a close call, but ever since then I've paid a little more attention. Doesn't seem like a huge deal if your a little attentive. And I've shut it off with it in D a few times, it just blinked angrily at me a few times and shifted itself to park.

Last edited:

SirGeorgeKillian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't seen this as so much of an issue with the trucks as it is the cars and some SUVs. On my charger the automatic shifter returned to the center position when you let go of it. It took some getting used to, but it honestly wasn't bad. The only challenge was occasionally finding reverse.
It's not so much an issue with the transmission itself but the interface and the user using said interface.

Yes folks, the automatic transmission has become to hard for the new generation to use.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for sharing. Hadn't heard of this being expanded to include Rams with rotary shifter. Guessing I'll be getting the letter soon.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
in every reported case, driver failed to engage parking brake. This procedure was included in owners manual, and in a subsequent letter to each owner. IIRC the actor was killed at 2:30 AM, curiously around bar closing time, just sayin'.

Matty Moo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I first got my 2014 a few years ago I accidentally got out without putting it in park or I put it in reverse a few times.

My thinking is that's the true issue and people are saying it acted on its own to save face. . I could be wrong but that's my feeling. .

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
As soon as the fix was announced for the S27 recall (charger & GC), I knew it was a matter of time before the rotary knob would be looked at too.

I can understand the different design may be a slight factor in these issues. Prior to either of these shifters, it was always throw the column lever all the way up or floor lever all the way forward. The key can't be removed when not in park. With keyless systems, it just makes it easier to not pay attention to one more thing. At the same time, I honestly don't see how it's the manufacturers fault when a normal operating vehicle rolls away cause the driver wasn't paying attention. Would the same hold true on a manual transmission when you're supposed to apply the parking brake every time?

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Maybe I'm wrong but it kind of sounds like most of these issues are on the driver/operator not the shifter itself. I always, always make sure I put my vehicle in park before I get out, and I sit for a second and ensure it's in park before I even take my seatbelt off. I've made that a point to do that since I was 16, and up until this past year I've always had column, or console shifters.

If this turns out to be something that's actually inherently wrong with the shifter itself, that's one thing, but most of the stories I've heard it's someone simply forgetting to put their vehicle in park, or not ensuring it's in park before they hop out.