Just ordered next weekend's project... Suspension and steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so this is my third weekend project coming up. Since getting this thing I am learning what a real money pit they can be... :) Since the purpose here is to have a decent winter truck and do teach my son some things about working on a vehicle, I still consider it a good investment though.

First was general tuneup stuff and cleaning. Air filter, oil change, wires, cap, rotor, etc...

This weekend was brake pads, calipers, wheel bearings for the front...

Next weekend is the biggie. Suspension and steering. I just ordered the parts from Ebay and they should be here by Saturday. Moog numbers, so I am reasonably confident of getting the right parts. I picked up inner and out tie rods and adjusting sleeves, upper and lower ball joints. I am hoping this will solve my steering slop problem, but I'm getting a feeling it's the steering column issue I keep hearing about. I feel certain in my ability to do all of this but would appreciate any tips and tricks you would care to offer...

The victim is below. :naughty:

Attachments

• dipaCAm.jpg
    dipaCAm.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 91

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so this is my third weekend project coming up. Since getting this thing I am learning what a real money pit they can be... :) Since the purpose here is to have a decent winter truck and do teach my son some things about working on a vehicle, I still consider it a good investment though.

First was general tuneup stuff and cleaning. Air filter, oil change, wires, cap, rotor, etc...

This weekend was brake pads, calipers, wheel bearings for the front...

Next weekend is the biggie. Suspension and steering. I just ordered the parts from Ebay and they should be here by Saturday. Moog numbers, so I am reasonably confident of getting the right parts. I picked up inner and out tie rods and adjusting sleeves, upper and lower ball joints. I am hoping this will solve my steering slop problem, but I'm getting a feeling it's the steering column issue I keep hearing about. I feel certain in my ability to do all of this but would appreciate any tips and tricks you would care to offer...

The victim is below. :naughty:
Victim is right if you're using MOOG parts. Hopefully it will turn out better for you than for others.

OP
OP
kdryan

kdryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Victim is right if you're using MOOG parts. Hopefully it will turn out better for you than for others.

Not Moog parts, just Moog numbers for reference. Can't say what I ordered is much better though.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
those parts are fairly easy to change out just do one part at a time, dont want to have it all apart and then have your alignment way off.

just did my tie rods and ball joints a few weekends ago looks like a clean truck!

OP
OP
kdryan

kdryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did right side tie rods yesterday and will do the other side today. Ball joints should be here Monday...

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Did you check the idler/pitman arm for any play? Those were the culprit for my steering slack

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kdryan

kdryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far I have replaced the Pitman arm, inner tie rods, outer tie rods, adjusting sleeves, right side upper and lower ball joints. I have left to do the shocks and left side ball joints. I am so ready for this project to be over with it's not even funny.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I already know your pain man. I've replaced every piece you could think of on my front suspension. If you're still having steering slack after all that, there's always the possibility of some slack in the steering gear.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Steering gear can definitely be a culprit. Along with steering column bushing. Easy way to check for such this is one, try wiggling your steering shaft. If it moves (not rotates but moves side to side/up and down) then you need a new bushing. The rock solid ram steering fix is pretty much the best way to go. You can also look to see what is moving. You can say move your steering wheel in the area that it has slack (or have someone move it) and watch your front end. See what's moving and what isn't. I won't be surprised if you see your steering shaft turn, but no movement after your steering gearbox. If you do end up having to get a steering box, don't get a cheap one. Don't get some reman steering box from a parts store like I did. Many people will probably suggest a Red Head steering box. That's what I plan on doing soon

OP
OP
kdryan

kdryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spent 15 minutes trying to get a lower ball joint out only to realize I was pushing it in. This is why I'm not a crew chief at Daytona...

I did get it out though. :)

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Spent 15 minutes trying to get a lower ball joint out only to realize I was pushing it in. This is why I'm not a crew chief at Daytona...

I did get it out though. :)
Hey at least it was only fifteen minutes, in my less experienced days years ago I was at it for quite a few hours doing the same thing

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I had a "mechanic" buddy of mine helping me last time I did mine and he was doing the same thing lol