K&N 77 Series Intake for 09-12 1500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TEXAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
hi folks,

i am thinking about pulling the trigger for a K&N 77 series CAI. i have a flowmaster super 44 installed already.
does anyone of you drive this CAI and would share his/her experinece? i´d like to know how much the sound and acceleration changes etc.
thank you so much in advance!!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had a similar K&N on a 4.7L Durango. Lots of noise under the hood. About shook my fillings out under load and you couldn't have a conversation or hear music at WOT.

So, on my RAM I bought an S&B for about the same $ and now I get a little kick in the butt dyno, but do not have to hear all the d@mn throttle noise--that's what dual exhaust is for anyway.

I do not recommend open CAIs like K&N, AFE, or Airaid. No cold air and just noise IMHO. :burnout:

tokenindian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doubt any intake will provide too much power over stock in the rpm most normal people drive...unless you do most of your driving at high rpms...I'd just leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
But some people are at WOT all the time. Sometimes when i drive (most) other cars i realise im actually more efficient in my truck, most small cars these days are so gutless, im always WOT in them it seems
But if i was WOT all through town in my truck that would be irresponsible and dangerous!
Once i get out into the countryside i often like to go WOT just to hear her roar but soon after the opening of the throttle my joy is cut short by the speed governer...

I really need a tune :p

We already know the OP wants sound and acceleration so it can be safely said he spends a fair bit of time at WOT and therefore would appreciate the S&B

tokenindian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But some people are at WOT all the time. Sometimes when i drive (most) other cars i realise im actually more efficient in my truck, most small cars these days are so gutless, im always WOT in them it seems

But if i was WOT all through town in my truck that would be irresponsible and dangerous!

Once i get out into the countryside i often like to go WOT just to hear her roar but soon after the opening of the throttle my joy is cut short by the speed governer...

I really need a tune :p

We already know the OP wants sound and acceleration so it can be safely said he spends a fair bit of time at WOT and therefore would appreciate the S&B

I got my k&n for the price of a panel filter so I just went ahead and bought it. I almost feel like I lost a little something down low as a result. If all you want is a bad ass sound I'm sure you could get something DIY much cheaper. If you really must have k&n then by all means go nuts!

Lil Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the vararam and most of the guys on here have or are planning to get the vararam cai it's the best imo but it ur choice there's a thread on here with a dyno showing the results

OP
OP
T

TEXAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i am thinking about it cause a guy in our german forum wants to sell his alsmoist new one (250,-€). before i pull the trigger i wanted to hear your experience, since u r the experts and trucks are pretty seldom here:).

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
I can only compare it to my Volant fast fit, I loved the sound. Like back in the day when 4 barrel carbs where the thing. Remember the sound as the secondary's opened up. I liked the sound. But I also like my exhaust.
K&N makes a good product, I don't know about that price for a used one.

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I had a similar K&N on a 4.7L Durango. Lots of noise under the hood. About shook my fillings out under load and you couldn't have a conversation or hear music at WOT.

So, on my RAM I bought an S&B for about the same $ and now I get a little kick in the butt dyno, but do not have to hear all the d@mn throttle noise--that's what dual exhaust is for anyway.

I do not recommend open CAIs like K&N, AFE, or Airaid. No cold air and just noise IMHO. :burnout:

X2. I had the series 77 on my 04 and couldn't tell at all besides the noise. On a real hot summer day the truck lagged too. I guess that was from sucking in all the hot engine air. I put the s&b on my 10' and it's a much more efficient cai imho. The design keeps it from sucking engine heat. Also, the series 77 can be used with the plastic tube or the metal one. I had the metal one it got HOT so it was like hearing the air as it entered. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I doubt any intake will provide too much power over stock in the rpm most normal people drive...unless you do most of your driving at high rpms...I'd just leave it alone.

You know...this is what I was going to say.

Bone stock, the airbox on my 5.7 doesn't seem to overly restrictive. I've had a few cars in the past that have insane muffler systems with baffles to shut up intake noise, airflow is extremely restricted.

I've used AEM and K&N on many vehicles and each time...I get cool noise from under the hood and slightly better throttle response (as well as that "gulping" noise)...outside of that? Nothing.

I put a "CAI" on:
'03 Cobra
'04 GTO
'02 Mazda Protege5
'06 Chevy 2500HD
'08 Mazdaspeed3

Of these...the Protege5 gained quite a bit of throttle response due to the insane air intake system Mazda produced and the MS3 was cool because I could finally hear the turbo.

Outside of that? Not much. Some cause heat soak issues as a matter of fact. My AIT's actually went WAY up with my GTO because of the metal intake tube getting hotter than hell in the summer.

I actually had to do this to get the temps down, wrapped the damn thing in header wrap:
Intake.jpg

The Vararam seems cool and all but sitting directly on top of the engine like that, I bet that would take your AIT's up big time in the summer (when you're not moving at speed). I'd be willing to say that in town <40mph would actually be worse in performance when that thing heats up and is pushing warm air into the intake.

Long story short...Never have I found myself thinking "WOW! What a difference!!!" when spending the $250-450 it takes for a CAI.

tokenindian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know where I can get a new crank vent hose, I'm thinking I may want to put my factory air box back on...hint hint that means my k&n intake will be for sale :)

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Anyone know where I can get a new crank vent hose, I'm thinking I may want to put my factory air box back on...hint hint that means my k&n intake will be for sale :)

And what were you impression of the K&N?

Personally...I went to AEM so I could drop the oiled filter bit. Wen with their dryflow cleanable.

tokenindian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since I was still in my drive it easy period, I never went wot with the stock intake to compare. It could be me but I felt that I lost some low end but may have gained a few ponies up top along with a glorious intake noise. I rarely go WOT and if I do it's usually on the highway when I'm stuck behind slow people. I really feel I could have gotten the same performance results with a k&n panel filter.

OP
OP
T

TEXAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
ok, so since performance is not such a big thing, what about the sound? in the k&n installation video it sounds really great:)!! but since i alredy have a super44 under my truck i´d like to know if it wold sound good too or if that would be an overkill/annoying.
i really like that deep throaty sound a V8 engine makes. so would this get even better or not?
if so i´d think about talking about the price with that guy. if you say i´ll get deaf with that intake i might not;-)

tokenindian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, so since performance is not such a big thing, what about the sound? in the k&n installation video it sounds really great:)!! but since i alredy have a super44 under my truck i´d like to know if it wold sound good too or if that would be an overkill/annoying.

i really like that deep throaty sound a V8 engine makes. so would this get even better or not?

if so i´d think about talking about the price with that guy. if you say i´ll get deaf with that intake i might not;-)

Short ram intakes are always loud...you can definately hear it and In my case over the exhaust. That being said at Wot they sound very substantial together. In the car it sounds sweet, I bet it sounds just as beefy outside too.

OP
OP
T

TEXAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
what do you mean by "short ram intakes"?

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i have no complaints on mine. but i wish i would have gone with the vararam.

tokenindian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what do you mean by "short ram intakes"?

Short ram or "warm air" intakes have their filter sit inside the engine bay, where As the cold air have the filter outside, away from engine heat. The k&n does have a half box for the filter with a rubber seal along the top which would seal with the hood. In theory this makes it sound like a cold air, but really who knows how well the seal is working. The filter is positioned in front of the air channel that the factory box connected to. I assume air passing under the car would be leaked through the wheel well to the fresh air port and then the filter sucks this in. How well it works is up for debate :)

For the most part factory parts work well enough for daily use. It's just not as "sexy" to keep a car stock.