Kicker 77kick41 & 77kick11ab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freshane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased these speakers and just received the 77kick41. The 11ab should be arriving this week. Where should I install the 77kick41 front or rear? They are 6x9" 2 way. The 11ab comes with 3.5" for the dash and 6x9" mid bass speakers. Thanks

OP
OP
F

freshane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 11ab are the same as 77kick42 but the 77kick42 come with 3x 3.5" dash speakers. I don't need the Center so I ordered the 11ab that has the 2 for the sides. Should I have gotten 3 or is it better to not have the center speaker on?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought this exact set back in July. I put the 2way 6x9s in the rear doors and the other ones in the front doors. I figured the highs in the front will be mostly handled by the 3.5s in the dash but in the rear having the 2way speakers helps improve overall sound quality in the back.

Another thing I ran into was the Kicker 3.5s sounded HORRIBLE compared to the stock ones. Its like the crossover wasn't working because every bass hit they would distort bad. Ended up putting the stock 3.5s back in and it sounds much better.

Overall its a very nice improvement over the stock speakers.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Try wiring in some capacitors inline with the 3.5 to act as a crossover. Or search for bass blockers. Same thing. I'd go for 150-200 hz if they have them. I think you wire it along the positive wire. One per speaker. The ones stuck on the speaker are probably too small.

Parts express has lots of capacitors. For 200hz: 100uf 8 ohm, 200uf 4 ohm or 400uf for 2 ohm.

If you had a center channel to begin with, I would put one there again in case they are all wired together. It will change your ohm load and could be bad.

Put the coax in the rear and the mid bass in the front door.

OP
OP
F

freshane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info guys. Do you know if they sell just the mid bass speakers without the dash speakers? I'm not going to be running much bass thru the speakers, a 12" slim pioneer will be taking care of that. I may have to get them to reject the shipment and maybe order the 77kick42 instead or if they sell just the mid bass I would go for that.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
If you don't want to replace the dash speakers just get another set like the ones you put in the rear door.

OP
OP
F

freshane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think I'm just gonna go with the kick42s and see how I like it. I may have to fiddle around with the settings and not have as much bass going thru them and see how it sounds. Or have to try the bass blockers or capacitors like you mentioned adurm. That way I could have more bass going To the doors and have the caps bass blockers on the 3.5" speakers. Next step is to make a custom fiberglass box under the rear seat and try to get .5 - 1.0 cubit foot for the 12" slim pioneer. I'm going to use the rear driver side. That way I can retain the big fold out still. I also got a pioneer 450wx1 @ 4ohm amp for the sub. Going to use a kicker line out converter to a bass controller then back to the amp with RCA's should be pretty simple.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Keep in mind how you are going to get a remote turn on for the amp. Maybe your loc can provide it. Your amp power wire (and power for the loc) can pass through the clutch delete plate on the firewall. It's like 4 inches long and black. No giggling. Be sure your grounds are bare metal. Best I found in my reg cab was the center seat belt bolt against the cab.

Another thought regarding changing the dash speakers...If the oem ones are 8 ohm (not sure about that) and are wired to the door, then that would make the whole channel 6 ohm. If your new ones are 4 ohm that would bring it down to 4 ohm total thus increasing the power of the head unit. That would cause distortion. I'm sure someone can chime in on the real resistance.

OP
OP
F

freshane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great info.. I find it odd how these are an upgrade but are not the correct ohm rating as what it's replacing. I think I may have wires going thru that part of the firewall already. I'll have to take a look and see what other options I have to get thru it. I was thinking of splicing into the plug for the remote wire. I tapped into it for my radar detector. I don't listen to my music crazy loud I like more bass then it super loud. I was pretty happy with the alpine system I just needed a bit more thump and better sound quality.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IIRC the stock dash speakers and the Kicker dash speakers were both 4ohms. Thats the first thing I checked when they sounded like ****. I might look into bass blockers in the future but the whole idea of this set is that they're plug and play. Plus I'm happy with the way it sounds now with the upgraded 6x9s and stock dash speakers.

If you do end up going with the Kicker dash speakers let us know how they sound and if/what you had to add to make them sound good

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
IIRC the stock dash speakers and the Kicker dash speakers were both 4ohms. Thats the first thing I checked when they sounded like ****. I might look into bass blockers in the future but the whole idea of this set is that they're plug and play. Plus I'm happy with the way it sounds now with the upgraded 6x9s and stock dash speakers.

If you do end up going with the Kicker dash speakers let us know how they sound and if/what you had to add to make them sound good

did you have the CS or KS354's, or the 3.5" coax that come with the Mopar kit?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It was the 3.5" speakers in the 77KICK28AB kit...

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Not really 3.5", it should have been just a tweeter, correct?

413sy16aQrL.jpg

OP
OP
F

freshane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya I'll let u know how it turns out. So you had the tweeters instead of the 3.5".. Maybe they were overpowered. Do you have the premium alpine system?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I know on my base with 8.4, I couldn't even hear the dash unlit I added our 4.1 amp to the stockers, then BOOM, there's my stage...maybe swapping them just really enhanced them, compared to barely hearing them before.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well looks like I got the wrong speakers for the front. I should have got the 77kick11ab and instead I got the 77kick28ab which the dash speakers are just tweeters. The 77kick11ab kit are the 3.5" speakers. Any idea if I can order just those dash 3.5" speakers??

OP
OP
F

freshane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get the kicker 3.5" ks and they offer the connectors for free I believe. They are sold in pairs from crutchfield, 50 bux. I think the mopar kickers are similar to the k series.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
freshane is correct.