Killed My Battery With Too Many Lights, Do I Need New Alt or Battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MyRAMatDunkinDonuts

MyRAMatDunkinDonuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well here's an interesting twist, for whatever reason I just really noticed this on my positive batter terminalIMG_6667.JPG ...

Now, if I was "overloading" it, wouldn't I have tripped one of these?

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Get the battery lead tested.
Get the alternator tested.

If the alternator tests OK, then just get some LED lights; it'll be cheaper than a $500 alternator.

And really, don't just guess and throw parts at the problem (unless you have tons of cash to play with). Test one item and replace it if needed. Test another item, and replace if needed.

OP
OP
MyRAMatDunkinDonuts

MyRAMatDunkinDonuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get the battery lead tested.
Get the alternator tested.

If the alternator tests OK, then just get some LED lights; it'll be cheaper than a $500 alternator.

And really, don't just guess and throw parts at the problem (unless you have tons of cash to play with). Test one item and replace it if needed. Test another item, and replace if needed.

Apparently, it is the battery and not the alternator!

Since I've leased vehicles for quite a few years, I've never really had to troubleshoot issues like this. I knew Autozone tested batteries, but had no idea they could test the alternator too by just putting jumpers on the battery.

So, they tested the alternator first with the truck running, and one part of the test came back as "failed" (I guess their alternator tests for two items). He advised it could be false as a bad battery could generate the same result. So, turned the truck off and he tested the battery: no charge, battery was crap. He installs new battery, then runs the alternator test again, this time, it passes.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Get a CTD with the extra alternator. According to the manual, mine puts out 390 amps (4,680 Watts) at idle. I can put out enough light to **** off the local airport.
440 amps when the engine is over 1,500 RPM.

So I will show my non-mechanical side and ask for clarification of "CTD".

OP
OP
MyRAMatDunkinDonuts

MyRAMatDunkinDonuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For future reference, the 2015 RAM, as it turns out, cannot run/run correctly with a dead or dying battery. Here's why: prior to me going to Autozone, I figured I would drive a couple of miles up the highway and let the battery recharge. After a few miles, my instrument display started blinking intermittently. Then my MPH needle started to intermittently drop to zero, then back up to my speed (like every 10 seconds). At the same time, an "error" message flashed on my EVIC. Something among the lines of "Electric brake assist system is inoperable", and the background lighting around the MPH numbers area began to flicker. I don't remember the message precisely as my attention was focused on where I was going to steer the truck if it were to suddenly die, and boy did it feel like it was.

Naturally, when I pulled off the next exit to double back, I hit every damn red light, and I could feel the idle drop a bit than come back up. I figured I'd try for the local Autozone for obvious reasons and feel thankful I made it.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Since I've leased vehicles for quite a few years, I've never really had to troubleshoot issues like this. I knew Autozone tested batteries, but had no idea they could test the alternator too by just putting jumpers on the battery.

So, they tested the alternator first with the truck running, and one part of the test came back as "failed" (I guess their alternator tests for two items). He advised it could be false as a bad battery could generate the same result. So, turned the truck off and he tested the battery: no charge, battery was crap. He installs new battery, then runs the alternator test again, this time, it passes.

Glad everything worked out for you, bad batteries can cause nightmares in these newer vehicles. My wife's GC showed similar symptoms and it turned out to be a bad battery.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
FYI, you were never overloading the battery. It was teh charging system we suspected was being maxed out, never teh battery.

Ballistic308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
FYI, you were never overloading the battery. It was teh charging system we suspected was being maxed out, never teh battery.

Yep, I’m a bit lost on this. It appears to me the dead battery is a symptom of a poor performing charging system. Hence when the positive lead was disconnected the engine died.

OP
OP
MyRAMatDunkinDonuts

MyRAMatDunkinDonuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A battery can only cycle so many times before it becomes so inefficient, it can't effectively recharge fully. Mine was stock so it's been in the truck for about 4 years now, which isn't really unusual.

I bet if anyone with a 4th gen disconnects the positive battery terminal while the truck is running, it's going to die.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That's what I figured. Glad it was an easy fix!

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7

When I bought my truck, I wanted a single cab Cummins 4x4. There are so very few of them made (compared to 4 door trucks) that you just go buy what's on the lot (which is a very limited selection). I left the state to find one. They are almost always white, and Tradesman or ST (SLT?) are the only trim levels available.
I found one with most of the available options (but no dual rear wheels, 4.10s or the extra expensive transmission), which is very rare. It had the snowplow package which includes a 220 amp alternator, and they checked the box for an extra one.
I even got cloth seats and power windows! :)