Knock in steering rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathan Mydan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok I just got wheel alignment and inner tie rod changed and now I have a knock coming from the steering rack feel it on bumps it seems like it's coming from the rack are there bushings I can replace ? What could be making it clunk ... electronically no issues

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They didn't get something fastened down tight enough ...like an inner tie rod ...perhaps?

Perhaps there is a shield loose and laying on the steering?

Maybe there's a steering rack bushing that happened to fail after they did the work? Sometimes unrelated failures do occur.

Someone's got to put their eyes down there. Take it back to the shop.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Getting underneath and trying to wiggle things is going to be your best bet. If it is anywhere near the new tie rod, take it back and have them fix it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I just got wheel alignment and inner tie rod changed and now I have a knock coming from the steering rack feel it on bumps it seems like it's coming from the rack are there bushings I can replace ? What could be making it clunk ... electronically no issues
Take it back to whoever did the work probably missed something.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One of the nuts on the lower control arms for caster and camber adjustment could not be tight enough.

Happened to mine after an alignment. About 60 miles from home, went to back up, and pop. The rear of the left LCA slipped all the way to the full extent of adjustments. One tire pointing way in while the other was straight.

Also, lock nut not tight on tie rod end at the rack, or tie rod end nut not tight at spindle.

Get it checked before something bad happens, like one wheel with no connection to the rack.

OP
OP
N

Nathan Mydan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've taken it back to the shop that did the work that day, they put it on lift pulled the boot showed me where the knock was coming from and it's from inside the steering rack I've checked all bolts nothing is loose so after showing me this they say it had nothing to do with the inner tie rod they changed. Other than the obvious fact there was no issue before they did anything.

OP
OP
N

Nathan Mydan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've taken it back to the shop that did the work that day, they put it on lift pulled the boot showed me where the knock was coming from and it's from inside the steering rack I've checked all bolts nothing is loose so after showing me this they say it had nothing to do with the inner tie rod they changed. Other than the obvious fact there was no issue before they did anything

OP
OP
N

Nathan Mydan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of the nuts on the lower control arms for caster and camber adjustment could not be tight enough.

Happened to mine after an alignment. About 60 miles from home, went to back up, and pop. The rear of the left LCA slipped all the way to the full extent of adjustments. One tire pointing way in while the other was straight.

Also, lock nut not tight on tie rod end at the rack, or tie rod end nut not tight at spindle.

Get it checked before something bad happens, like one wheel with no connection to the rack.
I'm going to check these first thing now ! I wonder if they weren't set proper either it could allow to much play for the rack itself ..

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw on your last post it was an INNER tie rod they replaced.

If that's the case, the knock is coming from the ball joint on the inner where the rod screws onto the rack. Could be a bad inner joint or the inner joint not completely tightened down.

Most likely the ball socket was not made well. Jack up that wheel, grab front and back, then shake back and forth. The knock should be heard if it's the ball socket.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Also where did they source the parts? Lots of cheap chynese parts with questionable QC on the market these days.

I would get a second opinion from a different reputable shop. It’s hard to believe it’s unrelated to the repair.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The OP said they pulled the boot and showed him it was coming from INSIDE the rack. To me that means they verified the inner tie rod ball joint wasn't the source. But yeah, verify that it isn't the things already been listed.

Ultimately it's hard to say ...either it's a fluke that it occurred after the work was done (and flukes do occur ...these steering racks seem to be a source of trouble). Or they're getting on it with possibly a super high-torque impact tool, or heavy hammering, lead to downstream damage during the replacement process, or made worse a weakness that was already brewing in there. Who knows? Nobody can ever prove one way or the other. Presumably these guys know what they're doing, or have done a bunch (??) ...

Verify all the possibilities and do a few google searches specific for your situation. You might be in for a new rack sometime...

Last edited:

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The inner tie rod is inside the boot. That's why I mentioned shaking the wheel back and forth.

When rack and pinion was still not widespread, I changed out a a lot of knocking inners. The passenger side inner takes a lot of abuse.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I changed out a a lot of knocking inners. The passenger side inner takes a lot of abuse.

Yep ...that's what worries me. Some are very difficult to remove and I can see how it would damage a rack.. But OTOH, there's no way to prove one caused the other. And was it on an alignment rack or a hoist (where the suspension was drooping)? Drooping suspension you might not see a loose inner tie rod end, like if it were on an alignment rack. Still some unanswered questions....

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nathan Mydan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I saw on your last post it was an INNER tie rod they replaced.

If that's the case, the knock is coming from the ball joint on the inner where the rod screws onto the rack. Could be a bad inner joint or the inner joint not completely tightened down.

Most likely the ball socket was not made well. Jack up that wheel, grab front and back, then shake back and forth. The knock should be heard if it's the ball socket.
It's not that I've lifted pulled the boot and grabbed the shaft itself it is coming from inside the rack.
I've noticed the cam adjustment bolts are set with driver side towards the inside and passenger towards the outside.
Could that affect how much pull is on the rack ?
I'm taking truck back to the shop today so questions I plan on asking

OP
OP
N

Nathan Mydan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep ...that's what worries me. Some are very difficult to remove and I can see how it would damage a rack.. But OTOH, there's no way to prove one caused the other. And was it on an alignment rack or a hoist (where the suspension was drooping)? Drooping suspension you might not see a loose inner tie rod end, like if it were on an alignment rack. Still some unanswered questions....

They used a full vehicle hoist, it's also on air bags