LED reverse pod lights and questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Batman&Robin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
This is what I want to happen: When the car is in reverse, I can use the switch to turn the lights on and off. When I am in drive, the lights do not show at all. Right now, they do not work at all, and the wire coming to the battery and the wire powering the switch cause an open circuit and my switch led to stay on all the time, and my led pods do not work.

I have mounted the Nilight led pod lights to my rear bumper, wired the relay exactly like I saw in this video (Wiring Auxiliary Backup Lights), but I have some questions and some issues.

I have 4 switches in my dash board, using the open space just about the shifter on my Outdoorsman. I have all 4 of them wired for all 3 connections (ground, accessory and power). I only connected 2 as that is what I need right now.

1) Do i have to connect directly to the battery with an inline fuse?
- If not, can i connect to a switched fuse in the fuse box?
2) I tried the fuse method, I get a connection when the car is in accessory/on,
but it turns the switch on even when the switch is in the "off" position,
meaning the led lights up.
3) I am not sure what to troubleshoot, as i have double checked all of my connections, which were made using butt connectors that were crimped together.

If you can offer any help that would be great! I want to ziptie all the wire and get it all put together asap.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Why don't you tie them in directly to the reverse lights? It's way easier, and whenever you put it in reverse you'll have the LEDs on.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As xrsman said, either tie them directly to the reverse lights so when you do put the truck in reverse, they come on, or if you still wanted the switch, you'd still have to tie then into the reverse lights only, but just the power wire that would go from there to the switch, then back to the led pods.

OP
OP
B

Batman&Robin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
That sounds easier. How do I do that the easiest?

OP
OP
B

Batman&Robin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Does the relay still get power from the battery, or is that from the reverse lights?

OP
OP
B

Batman&Robin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
As xrsman said, either tie them directly to the reverse lights so when you do put the truck in reverse, they come on, or if you still wanted the switch, you'd still have to tie then into the reverse lights only, but just the power wire that would go from there to the switch, then back to the led pods.

Can you expand on that some more? How should I wire the wires from the relay to the switch?

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I tied mine into the reverse wire on the trailer harness so they come on when the truck is in reverse. I didn't want to have a switch for them. I just tapped the trailer harness wire. Didn't fool with running a relay and a wire from the battery as some people recommend. I tested the pods and both together drew less then 2 amps so I figured that wouldn't overload anything since the reverse circuit on the trailer harness is made to deactivate the surge brakes on a trailer for backing up and likely draws a bit more then 2 amps.