Lessons from OEM trailer brake controller install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudders Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealer installed trailer brake controller and tow hooks on 1500 Laramie. Caught $300 labor overcharges and they failed to follow OEM instructions to cut out plastic bumper benzels. After repeated “discussions” with Management, got those fixed, but they still charged 3hrs labor for OEM website labor of 1.3 hrs, (they brought the truck out to me exactlly 2hrs after arrival). Interesting that computer had to “sleep” for 12hrs. before it would display trailer 1-4 options on Settings screen. Working ok now after sleep period. Total cost $675 vs original invoice of $1014.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
wow, and people wonder why we call them "stealers" that's crazy, but I'm not surpised. they will get you for whatever and as much as they can if you don't challenge them on things and make them justify thei time.

flat rate is a racket. book says x takes 3 hours to do, the tech gets it done in 1.5, but still gets paid for 3. such b.s.

this is why I only take my stuff to the stealer as a last resort.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I installed the trailer brake controller in my 2013 Sport myself.

It took me less than an hour to do.

The dealer (Rairdon Dodge, Bellingham WA) flashed my PCM and had it working in less than an hour.

It works great.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WOW Bellingham has a Ram Dealership now??
J/K
I lived there back in 198-81.
Lived on elm street.
WOW that was a long time ago, I was a junior in high school back then,

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yup, several locations.

A Fred Meyer, a couple Safeway's too

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
wow, and people wonder why we call them "stealers" that's crazy, but I'm not surpised. they will get you for whatever and as much as they can if you don't challenge them on things and make them justify thei time.

flat rate is a racket. book says x takes 3 hours to do, the tech gets it done in 1.5, but still gets paid for 3. such b.s.

this is why I only take my stuff to the stealer as a last resort.
I take it you have never worked flat rate. How about when the book says it takes 3 hours and it takes the tech 6?
On second thought it is a racket, not in the techs favor though. It benefits the manufacturer, dealer and in some ways the customer, just not the tech.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I take it you have never worked flat rate. How about when the book says it takes 3 hours and it takes the tech 6?
On second thought it is a racket, not in the techs favor though. It benefits the manufacturer, dealer and in some ways the customer, just not the tech.

Yeah I was going to say that can go both ways depending on the job for sure.