Level? Remove rake. Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to remove at least most of the rake from the truck. I do not want to lower the truck anymore than is absolutely necessary. I use it too often where ground clearance would be an issue. 03 1500 2wd QCSB. I dont know much about suspension. Can someone please point me in the best direction to accomplish what I want to do?

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leveling coils, coil spacers, or lift spindles are the only options. For just a level I would do the coils. Spacers will make the ride rough, and spindles will add too much lift than a level would.

Sent from my ADR6350

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
since you are in the lowered section i'm assuming you want to bring the rear down. For that 2" drop shackles will get you close to level

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I'm really not sure what I want. Is one better than the other. What is the difference in cost? I just looked at level kits on the rough country site and they wanted to sell me adjuster keys. Is this the correct way to go about this?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
if your truck is 4x4 and you want to raise the front you can crank the torsion bars to where you want it and then get an alignment. No need for leveling keys.

For lowering the back you just replace the shackles and that's it. it all depends on looks, i prefer raising the front vs. dropping the rear to get level

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I am 2wd. Sorry for not putting that in my initial post. After some lengthy consideration I think I would prefer to raise the front. I have never been a fan of the lowered look, and my truck gets used too much for that. Ideas, opinions, what do those who know more than me think?

Mods, this appears to maybe fit better in the lifted section. Feel free to move the thread.

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you did. But I was confused when you mentioned leveling keys. But anyways..... The leveling coils will be better as far as ride quality goes. If you are wanting to run a bigger tire I would go with the lift spindles. They retain factory quality ride.

Sent from my ADR6350

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i moved this to the lifted section for ya.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't necessarily want to go to bigger tires. I just put a new set of 265 55 r20's on it. Don't really have the money for new tires right now. I am concerned that the level won't look quit right with these tires.

Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have don't quite a bit of engine work. But no suspension work ever. Is this a direct swap out? How hard is it to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yup should be, although it says they recommend extended brake lines. and you would need to get an alignment done later. if i were you i would go ahead and replace all your ball joints while your at it(if they havent been done though) save you time and hassle later. it wouldnt be too bad, it would just take time and patients