Lift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mx450ltr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 96 ram on 33s about a year ago never really thought of idea but now since its about time for some new tires I think I want to go to 35s. It has a spacer in front and a block in rear (looks factory?). Well I found a skyjacker 3 inch lift with new coils and add a leaf would that work with what's already there and make room to clean 35s? Thanks for help on advance

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Welcome to the sight!

As far as I know, 35s should fit. I know my x father inlaw had a stock off-road package truck and cleared 33s with ease. If you go with a 3" then you should be good

OP
OP
M

Mx450ltr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks man but could I stack the Longer coil on the space that's in there already? And the add a leaf and still sit level?

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Gotta be careful doing that man. The suspension kit that you will be buying is designed for 3" of lift. Add another 2" of lift to that and your throwing the geometry off of the design.

When you lift a SFA...you have a few things to keep in mind. The higher you go, the closer it will bring the axel back to the cab of the truck...thats were the longer control arms come into play. The higher you go, the more off center your axel is going to be do to your trac bar. So lifts come with trac bar relocator kits, some don't.

Stacking lifts is never a good idea unless its a suspension lift with a body lift.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Gotta be careful doing that man. The suspension kit that you will be buying is designed for 3" of lift. Add another 2" of lift to that and your throwing the geometry off of the design.

When you lift a SFA...you have a few things to keep in mind. The higher you go, the closer it will bring the axel back to the cab of the truck...thats were the longer control arms come into play. The higher you go, the more off center your axel is going to be do to your trac bar. So lifts come with trac bar relocator kits, some don't. Your 35's will hit something...or many things.

Stacking lifts is never a good idea unless its a suspension lift with a body lift.

WOW! Somebody besides me knows this^^^^^^, and is willing to speak to it. Thank you!

As a rule of thumb, for every 2" you lift an SFA front, you move the axle 3/4 inch backwards and uncenter the axle under the truck frame about the same.

So as stated, without proper control arm/trackbar mods you'll end up with the axle back and over as much as 1.5 inches. Not only will your caster be maxed if it can be adjusted at all, but your truck could run down the road doglegged.

If you really want to go the cheap route to clear 35's get a body lift. or spend the money and get a proper 5 inch lift that has the proper front and rear springs, control arms, track bar/mods, etc. Doing it once the right way is never cheap but it's still the only way. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mx450ltr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys I never thought of that. It's l only 250$ More for the corect 5 inch lift so I better do that than rigging up my ride! Thanks for the help fellas

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Good thinking man. Be sure to post of some pics when your done!

OP
OP
M

Mx450ltr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure thing may be a while tho still have some life on the 33s after that it's on!!