lifted pentastar questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haaken675

Reaction score
Ram Year
'15 1500 4x4
Engine
Pentestar
Hey guys. I have done a lot of searching on this topic but really never come up with much useful info. I have a 2015 crew cab v6 4x4 I want to lift either with a simple billstein kit and rear coil spacer, or potentially a 4" lift. I love the truck so far after 8 months of ownership and really haven't felt the need for a v8 so far except when I took a road trip this summer with a fully loaded down truck through the mountains. That wasn't even a problem really, just had to learn how to get it to shift where I wanted it to.

The real question is will the truck become a real dog if lifted 4 inches...It has 3.21 gears, so great for stock economy but probably not the best for a lift and slightly bigger tires...I know I will most likely see a mileage drop no matter what, so I'm ok with that (especially since I don't use my vehicle for sales calls anymore).

Thanks in advance for the input.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't speak personally about the v6 but I'm pretty sure the consensus here will say having the v6 AND 3.21's would probably advise against the 4" lift. Some have done it and it is doable but yes, it will definetly feel the weight of the larger tires if you increase size.

Again, not advisable....but doable.

OP
OP
H

Haaken675

Reaction score
Ram Year
'15 1500 4x4
Engine
Pentestar
leveling it is then!

When I purchas3ed the truck I wasn't even thinking about gear ratios or anything like that which in retrospect was a little silly, but then again, a leveled truck with a .75-1 inch spacer on the rear with more aggressive 33's is really all I need...

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I can't speak personally about the v6 but I'm pretty sure the consensus here will say having the v6 AND 3.21's would probably advise against the 4" lift. Some have done it and it is doable but yes, it will definetly feel the weight of the larger tires if you increase size.

Again, not advisable....but doable.

I've searched extensively online and only been able to find a few instances of people running 34-35" tires on Pentastars. If I remember correctly I found one guy running 35" on 3.21 gears. He seemed pleased enough. I've haven't found anyone completely regretting going to a bigger tire size with the Pentastar.

Not saying it will be perfect, but from my observations, most of the posts that say absolutely don't do it come from guys who have Hemi's and have never even driven a Pentastar in a Ram. Seems like a lot of people hear V6 and just assume it can't do it. Considering some of them came stock with 33" tires, 35s aren't a huge jump as long as you pay attention to tire weight.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't see why you couldn't do the 4" lift the V6 can handle it. There may only be problems if you went with crazy big heavy off-road tires and rims....

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see why you couldn't do the 4" lift the V6 can handle it. There may only be problems if you went with crazy big heavy off-road tires and rims....

Exactly.

Lift itself isn't the problem.

Seems like a lot of people hear V6 and just assume it can't do it.

Considering some of them came stock with 33" tires, 35s aren't a huge jump as long as you pay attention to tire weight.

True.

I personally wouldn't lift a v6 with 35's (3.21) but as I posted earlier...it can be done.

Best comparison I can think that comes to mind would be the lugging my 5.7 has with 37's as the V6 with 35's. Could be a little off.