Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM_Larry_15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
never needs replacement until you get a p0300 range mis fire code, then you need to verify. Try a 20820 rp filter next time if you can. Did the tick chnage with redline at all, or always the same? If it is the same could be bolts.

Redline is different then rp or any oil on the shelf, heavy ep/aw additives, poe ester base stocks, super high mply, most people that try it says it gives their vehicle a butter smooth effect. But as good as it is, it cant do squat if it is exhaust related, only if it is lifter related, and 50% of ticks can be either way.
Thx for the info, will try the rp 20-820 filter next change. I think the tick sounds the same as before redline, but it lasts only a short time after cold starting. Tick lasted a lot longer time b/4 redline. Do you have a preference on model of OBD II code reader?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I use a budget one to be honest, seams to work fine so far hasnt let me down. I know if I ever have a sticky issue I will have to upgrade, but I think mine was like 23 bucks off the amazon. Maybe I am the wrong guy to ask that question too, lol.

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ahh, I only caught the shine, Should've said that instead of drip.

When the exhaust manifold bolts broke on my '15, my tick didn't totally go away when fully warm. Those exhaust manifolds can warp crazy, mine were twisted at the rear cylinder on both sides.

Sucks that you have to get in there to see what the deal is. You might be able to see more when the heat shield is removed. Hopefully, you will be able to get it sorted out.
8DF592CF-68C9-4D5D-9F3E-41703881F3FE.jpeg
Look what I found this is the side I hear the tick.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looks normal.......lol:Big Laugh:

Any broken bolts? What do the exhaust ports look like? You should see scorching where the leak is.

My '15 broke only the top rear bolts on BOTH sides, but they had warp and twist to them.

I wonder if the cylinder deactivation in the Hemi has anything to do with how the exhaust manifolds warp.

Have them milled flat, get some Remflex gaskets, and hardware if needed (I used Everbuilt from Amazon), and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have them milled flat, get some Remflex gaskets, and hardware if needed (I used Everbuilt from Amazon), and you'll be good to go.
Thats right. Now that they're heat-warped ...they won't re-warp once milled. (new ones will eventually warp on you ..so get yours 'leveled'. Might want to check the other side.

Its a lot easier/cheaper fix than an engine tick...

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thats right. Now that they're heat-warped ...they won't re-warp once milled. (new ones will eventually warp on you ..so get yours 'leveled'. Might want to check the other side.

Its a lot easier/cheaper fix than an engine tick...
Imma get this one milled then eventually swap them out for jba headers I’m just making sure I don’t have a lifer tick

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
MarcoFuc...Do as you wish, but understand what is being said.... If you have these milled then they WILL NOT Warp again and you will never deal with this issue ever again.
Now if you are planning other power upgrades then appropriate headers for the planned upgrade is worth it. But a stock motor with out any power upgrades and putting on headers is mostly just lips stick on a pig.......

My understanding is the even the aftermarket headers for these trucks have a tendency to warp/snap bolts as well... Do a search I think you will find this to be the case as well.

PS, I was not aware of the milling aspect. I have only 30K on mine and have had bolts replaced. I am thinking next time they are in I may pay to have them milled verse just new bolts installed as is all that the dealers due.

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
MarcoFuc...Do as you wish, but understand what is being said.... If you have these milled then they WILL NOT Warp again and you will never deal with this issue ever again.
Now if you are planning other power upgrades then appropriate headers for the planned upgrade is worth it. But a stock motor with out any power upgrades and putting on headers is mostly just lips stick on a pig.......

My understanding is the even the aftermarket headers for these trucks have a tendency to warp/snap bolts as well... Do a search I think you will find this to be the case as well.

PS, I was not aware of the milling aspect. I have only 30K on mine and have had bolts replaced. I am thinking next time they are in I may pay to have them milled verse just new bolts installed as is all that the dealers due.
Oooooh okay I see what your saying, if that’s the case then I see no point buying new headers but my issue might be finding a place that would do it, where I live. I’m in the process of trying to find a place

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Oooooh okay I see what your saying, if that’s the case then I see no point buying new headers but my issue might be finding a place that would do it, where I live. I’m in the process of trying to find a place
Don't believe everything you read,a set of 1.75" long tube headers and a decent exhaust are one of the best mods you can do to these trucks,and i honestly haven't heard of anybody breaking bolts after going to long tubes .Being a 13,your truck is easy to tune for even more gains from a set of headers.Guys who say there's no gains from headers haven't ran a set on a 5.7 truck.The factory log manifolds are basically a peanut port manifold,and really restrict exhaust flow.Don't even think of a set of shorties,you want long tubes,as they generate more bottem end torque then shorties do,and pull harder all through the power band.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I sanded mine on a belt sander, I did not get them perfect due to the aforementioned warp and twist. but got them good enough that they have 45k miles on them since the fix. All is well so far.

Plus, I used Fel-Pro gaskets as I had already bought them before reading about the Remflex gaskets. Remflex are supposed to be top-notch.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So how long have you had this tick? If it's an extended period of time and you are not having a miss when driving the truck, it's probably the manifold bolts. When my lifter ate the cam lobe, it started to show as a miss while driving. Then it became worse if I ran it wide open throttle. Truck would have a consistent miss for a few seconds then smooth out but still have an occasional miss. If it's the lifter is the culprit, you will start seeing more evidence of it while driving. One question for someone who might be more informed than I am, but I read on here a while back that the lifters were upgraded in 2017. Is this true? My lifter went out in 2017, so just wondering if they may have put in the better ones. I've put over 60,000 miles on it since they were replaced and don't have any issues.

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I sanded mine on a belt sander, I did not get them perfect due to the aforementioned warp and twist. but got them good enough that they have 45k miles on them since the fix. All is well so far.

Plus, I used Fel-Pro gaskets as I had already bought them before reading about the Remflex gaskets. Remflex are supposed to be top-notch.
I have the fel pro gasket currently on the one I just took off but I guess it warped enough for it to bleed yet but yet again idk if that was my tick until I get that manifold fixed and back on there and start it off hopefully that’s all it was

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So how long have you had this tick? If it's an extended period of time and you are not having a miss when driving the truck, it's probably the manifold bolts. When my lifter ate the cam lobe, it started to show as a miss while driving. Then it became worse if I ran it wide open throttle. Truck would have a consistent miss for a few seconds then smooth out but still have an occasional miss. If it's the lifter is the culprit, you will start seeing more evidence of it while driving. One question for someone who might be more informed than I am, but I read on here a while back that the lifters were upgraded in 2017. Is this true? My lifter went out in 2017, so just wondering if they may have put in the better ones. I've put over 60,000 miles on it since they were replaced and don't have any issues.
To be honest I noticed it like a month and a half ago then I stopped driving it 3 weeks ago. I’ve even put thicker oil in just to see if the tune of the tick would change or quiet if down but it did not even change in tune in the slightest. So I went to the next issue I’ve had which was my exhaust manifold bolts/ manifold itself

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the fel pro gasket currently on the one I just took off but I guess it warped enough for it to bleed yet but yet again idk if that was my tick until I get that manifold fixed and back on there and start it off hopefully that’s all it was
What did the exhaust ports on your cylinder head look like? Any scorching? I would replace the exhaust manifold gaskets as well, just because. Did you have any broken studs?

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What did the exhaust ports on your cylinder head look like? Any scorching? I would replace the exhaust manifold gaskets as well, just because. Did you have any broken studs?
I’ve ordered new gasket, and to be honest no broken studs just a warped manifold. I mean to be honest some sort of scorching but barely I wonder if it’s cause I barely drove it when it started ticking

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve ordered new gasket, and to be honest no broken studs just a warped manifold. I mean to be honest some sort of scorching but barely I wonder if it’s cause I barely drove it when it started ticking
CB719AF4-1D89-410F-A271-0198FE717BA2.jpeg

Attachments

• 1D3BE313-5097-4B30-A624-F316F7546E2E.jpeg
    1D3BE313-5097-4B30-A624-F316F7546E2E.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 11
  • D5B0B5F7-DA15-427E-AD46-0A61D573B8C2.jpeg
    D5B0B5F7-DA15-427E-AD46-0A61D573B8C2.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 3E2E54AF-5362-43F4-BADF-0BBA5188D0C6.jpeg
    3E2E54AF-5362-43F4-BADF-0BBA5188D0C6.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 40F22381-DA35-4F91-9FE7-DBB8D99AAC92.jpeg
    40F22381-DA35-4F91-9FE7-DBB8D99AAC92.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 52CA2CF6-5C7E-42C9-BD0A-20B9C9992EDC.jpeg
    52CA2CF6-5C7E-42C9-BD0A-20B9C9992EDC.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DA2C0F8D-792C-4480-B459-069AFF955038.jpeg
    DA2C0F8D-792C-4480-B459-069AFF955038.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 9

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That really doesn't look that bad. Clean the head up with a scotch brite pad, put a new gasket on when you get the manifold trued up, and give it a go.

Do I see red RTV?

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That really doesn't look that bad. Clean the head up with a scotch brite pad, put a new gasket on when you get the manifold trued up, and give it a go.

Do I see red RTV?
Okay, I’ll keep ya posted should have it back together by this weekend. And that I do not know, it might of been already pre threaded on the new bolts I bought last time when I changed them.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
My last truck F150 5.4 triton, same problem major PIA passenger side 4x4 drop axle drive shaft, starter, AC, plus more.
Same warped manifold issue, 1/8th inch. flattened it with a belt sander, and a flat edge, and good gasket, better bolts. fixed. Year later drivers side went, took it to a shop, The ford was a B*i*t*h to work on with out a lift.

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My last truck F150 5.4 triton, same problem major PIA passenger side 4x4 drop axle drive shaft, starter, AC, plus more.
Same warped manifold issue, 1/8th inch. flattened it with a belt sander, and a flat edge, and good gasket, better bolts. fixed. Year later drivers side went, took it to a shop, The ford was a B*i*t*h to work on with out a lift.
I’m hoping this was my tick issue cause I had no broken bolts. This is a assumption that this was my issue I won’t find out till I put it back together