lightning bolt no codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sometimes after driving a few miles the lightning bolt will flash and the truck will run rough. I shut the truck off. Hook up a scanner and get a no codes present reading. Restart the truck and every thing is fine for a few days, only to have it happen again. CEL is not on when this happens. Can anyone tell me what can cause this?

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't have an EGR, so we can rule that out. It is likely that your ETC (electronic throttle control) system acting up. Inspect your throttle body, the best-case scenario is that it just needs to be cleaned, the worst-case scenario is that the throttle body motor is fritzing out.

Do you have any related pending codes? They're usually greyed out.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Some momentary stumbles don't throw a code.

What it sounds like to me is that it could be one, or more, of the following:

1. Throttle body is gummed up and sticking. A simple cleaning will do the trick.
2. If it still stumbles, it might be the PCV valve. Change it out for a new one.
3. Are you low on fuel? It might be a fuel pump issue.
4. Have you changed the plugs and wires?

OP
OP
J

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have replaced the throttle body and the spark plugs. Plenty of fuel. I haven't checked the PCV valve, but would that cause the ETC to act up? There was two times last year it happend and I had to have it towed to a shop because it quit running and I was a long way from home. Both times they put new crankshaft sensor on it. The third time it happend I was close to home so I put the new sensor on myself. Since then as soon as the lightning bolt flashes I pull over, turn off the engine for a minute and it starts back up and runs just fine the rest of the day or more.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not for nothing but you would better off changing the crank and camshaft sensor together.

OP
OP
J

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK. I'll try the cam sensor too. I'll do some more checking on the wiring while I'm at it. this truck and all it's electrical problems is a real bummer.

Hesabiggin111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I replaced a camshaft sensor years ago on I think an old Dakota I had and had to clear the codes so everything would be right for the new sensor and was told if you don't clear the codes it will mess up the new sensor because it's thinking there's a bad sensor so it adjust for the bad sensor which screws up the new sensor. Just a thought

Trevor Fisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am having this issue right now. I went to the store yesterday afternoon to get a few things. Truck started right up and had no problems at all. I get to the first stop light from my house and it was fine until I pressed on the gas. It jumped forward and then was fine and did that a couple of times and then it just completely died out and stalled me in the middle of the street. Right after the check engine light came on and flashed 10 times. Checked for codes and nothing showed. Had a buddy tow me home and we tried to figure out why it wont turn over. We have come to the conclusion its either the crank/cam sensors or a corroded layer in the TIPM. Any thoughts would help. It does need an oil change soon. But there is plenty of oil left in it. And the trans fluid is good too. Thanks in advance!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you change any sensors make sure you use Mopar sensors only, others can cause problems.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you change any sensors make sure you use Mopar sensors only, others can cause problems.
yes I have had this come up before mopar vehicles does not like after market sensors use mopar only