Limited slip options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been a while since I looked into this, but what are the current options for a limited slip in the 9.25 rear of a 3rd gen half ton?

Have had Detroit truetrac for some time, and though it has been reliable (over 120k miles abuse), I’m not a huge fan of the way it operates. Was almost too good at keeping rear traction and didn’t lock up nearly as much or as quickly as I’d like.

Also looking into Auburn, which if I’m not mistaken has a higher % lock up and does so much quicker. I realize that it has clutches that can wear out over time, but that doesn’t concern me as long they don’t have a tendency to fall apart and grenade the diff when they do wear. Any one here with an Auburn that can share their experiences?

Any other options I should consider? Can’t have a spool since it’s a street driven truck, but some type of selectable, non automatic locker would be pretty sweet.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had the rear end rebuilt on my ‘14 Ram 1500. The shop owner recommended me replace my differential with an Eaton Trutrac unit. He said they are very rigid and are clutch less with nothing to wear out.
I haven’t been anywhere to test it yet?

OP
OP

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, that’s the same limited slip I currently have installed. He’s right about the Truetrac…mine has been run very hard for over 120k and haven’t had any issues, just not a huge fan of how it locks up. It’s a great posi if you actually want rear traction…my problem is I’d prefer something with stronger lockup so it’s easier to break traction with both tires around turns. Keep in mind you’ll have to run a conventional gear oil as they don’t like synthetic. I’ve been using Torco 85w140 and it’s worked very well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank