Long tt towing. What can I expect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is something I will toss out- and it's likely already crossed your mind.

Next trip- keep track of how much time your family actually spends inside the camper other than to sleep and rain days. That is what made our choice easy when we just went throuh this a few months back (almost signed off on a 2500 for a larger tt/ 5th wheel). My wife was hell bent on a bigger trailer for room.
We found that the only times we were in there was to sleep. Having enough room for all 5 of us plus company just to sleep was easy. Our current Jayco handled that fine with room to spare. Sleeps 8. Even for evening gatherings/ parties we were NEVER inside.

That's just a thought- good luck!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
What model Jayco? Right now the kids are sleepng together on the sofa bed. Not a big deal but my daughter is a wild sleeper and kicks my son then takes all the covers. Also getting changed/ ready to go out we don't have a lot of privacy between each other. That's the wife's biggest peeve. But I completely get your point on time inside vs. being outside

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We thought being able to sleep a bunch of people was important, we haven't had more than the 4 of us yet. The rear bunkhouse space is nice for the kids; ever summer there is a trip where it rains for at least a whole day. It gives them a dedicated space to play.
I'm looking forward to paying the truck off in a couple years and heaping the same $ every month onto the trailer to get it done too.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
My mom stays with us too and it gets tight... That's another reason to go a little bigger

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What model Jayco?

Jayfeather 254 exp. Two queen beds (front and rear) a single bunk and a fold out sofa and fold down table. Pretty much the whole floor plan is for sleeping. The pet peeve I have is the rear is the slide out which limits our site selection at times.

We now only have 1 kid left that is out with us so there is a very real possibility that we are retrofitting the rear queen slide out as an entertainment center :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Shadow Cruiser's a great bunkhouse option. Not sometging we could live in full time is the only reason we passed on it. Right at 30' overall if I remember correctly. Would keep the kids and the MIL happy as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's a lot of trailer. 35'8" of butt swingin' beauty if'n you ain't careful. I doubt yer unsafe with that route but I would recommend beefing the bejeezus out of yer rear end and shocks all around. Doesn't much matter which WD hitch you go with so long as it's a damn good one. Big ass spring bars and rip out yer door placard. Yer for sure splitting the 1/2 ton-3/4 ton hair finer than most.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I was joking fellas...... but i do like the layout

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Damn, dude. Had me thinkin' you were going all Go-rilla. I say to hell with it, go yank that sucker. All else fails it justifies the 3/4 ton you'll have to get eventually. [emoji48]

couleeman23

Reaction score
Ram Year
13/14 Ram 1500's
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Decide where you wanna camp and go from there. Long hauls vs short hauls could impact the choice.

Here is the route we went. They call it a 30' but it measures 35.5'. 7300 dry, 10300 max. For the record We have not and will not load this max till we upgrade trucks in the next year or so.

We went this route as the wife and I want to be able to load our motorcycles and travel, so bought the trailer now, truck will be in a couple years when kids are old enough to ditch for a week or two.

The picture is before it is properly setup (truck also has rancho quick lifts on front and 35's making it look a lot worse than it is). Since the picture, I have added airbags to the truck, WD hitch and 2 friction sway bars (recommended by Reese).

I wouldn't hesitate pulling it within a couple hours of home. It pulls "like a dream" as people say, but I'll be honest, it's a big ass trailer for that truck and I am maxed out. A long cross country trip, as much as I do think I would be fine, I wouldn't want to work my truck that bad for that long.

eb011ababc2cafe577797bb313ccd1d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Here is the route we went. They call it a 30' but it measures 35.5'. 7300 dry, 10300 max.

eb011ababc2cafe577797bb313ccd1d2.jpg

That, sir, is a big ass trailer. Have you got a loaded hitch weight for it? Just curious is all.

couleeman23

Reaction score
Ram Year
13/14 Ram 1500's
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That, sir, is a big ass trailer. Have you got a loaded hitch weight for it? Just curious is all.

Completely loaded and trailer to the max, tongue weight is 1035. That is with a 100 gallon water tank in front of the trailer axels and trailer maxed out. I filled the water tank full once and only once. Was just me in the truck, all gear in the toy hauler potion so technically legal, but too much with a full water tank for that truck. Only fill it half full when we go for weekends now.

Like I say, I am "legal", but too much trailer for the truck. Next truck is a 3/4 ton.

Last edited:

brianf40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow a 29 ft TT 6500lbs dry and if you don't drive like an idiot u will be fine. Good WE hitch goes a long way. I tow between 55 n 65. You will know it's back there but just drive sensibly n u will be fine

DanEddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Ram BigHorn, 5.7 quad cab, 6.4 bed with factory two package. I replaced the 3.55:1 diff gears with 3.92:1 so the factory rated towing capacity should be at 10,300# according to Mother MOPARS web site.
I installed a set of aftermarket rear coils rated at 25% more capacity than the stockers and installed AirLift air bags in the rear coils with onboard compressor and remote control.

I two a 27 ft 5th wheel with a goose neck hitch and the trailer is rated at 7900 pounds dry weight. I have no problems at all towing, I just make sure all my water tanks are empty for towing. I would like a little more torque for big long uphill grades and some added engine breaking would be nice but it's working well.

I should also say I replaced the front break rotors with Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors and their towing brake pads which make a nice difference.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
its a damn shame all the "stick and tin" campers are so damn heavy..... I like those over the fiberglass walls. Love my Springdale.... just need more room. Leaving tomorrow on a short trip. Wife will be driving for the first time with a trailer behind her to bring back the golf cart. Hoping for the best. She's nervous but I think its better than what I've done in the past.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hang out behind her, that way she can concentrate on the road ahead and go at her own pace rather than worrying about keeping up with you. She'll be just fine. That golf cart is a good way to break her in :)

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
yeah... I made her back in the yard and pull up the trailer and camper. I told her when pulling the camper up not to stop or slow down since its coming up a hill..... she didnt listen. slowed down at the top then started spinning. FLOORED it and once she got on pavement left a black mark 10' long...... fun fun

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iralee