Looking at our 1st TT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok Yes I am Canada you guys talk about your Gvwr Does the sticker in your door on your truck have Total GVWR MY ram only has a the total weight of occupant and cargo should never exceed 562kg. But if you don’t know what curb weight is I would believe it would be difficult to insure that you are staying within the 562 kg

snoty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read the OP, but not the complete thread, sorry if I'm duplicating anything. I have the same truck and a 2020 FR Salem Select 178DBFS 5585 GVWR. We have a family of four, the two kids are under 5. I weighed the truck last summer when we were in Medford OR and we were AT payload. Never did I feel unsafe, quite the opposite, everything was solid. But with that information, I try to bring less and not put much in the bed of the truck now.

My mods that impact towing: Husky Centerline WDH, Airlift 1000HD (20-30psi), Toyo Open Country ATIII 275/65R20, Bilstein 5100 @2.8 (would probably be better if I set them to stock height), Hellwig Rear Sway Bar (middle hole), Trail Ridge tow mirrors

OP
OP
regal81455

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So we ended up buying a Salem 24RLXL :anitoof::anitoof:

Actually didn't feel bad coming home with it despite the 20mph sustained winds and the hemi whistlin'. Before buying it I installed some 1500# sumosprings - back end didn't even move from what I could tell squat wise. Dealership installed a Husky Centerline WDH - seemed to do it's job.

I do have a little extra funds left over though and thought about upgrading either the sway bar to a hellwig or orderings some clayton offroad lower control arms. Which of these two would give me the better bang for my buck regarding assisting the tow in any manner whatsoever?

I'd like to say I could afford both but with all the "other" stuff that will be needed for the trailer and the trip to AZ coming in two weeks I'm gonna have to make it an either or scenario.

So what's the consensus - hellwig or claytons?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Step-son just sold his 26' TT and is going shopping Saturday. Looking at a Sundance 324BH. Problem is he has a 2020 Tundra. He has the max tow with a 9800lb max and about 1500lb payload. I told him he is pushing that truck but he leaves the TT at a campground about 30 miles from his house so not bad. He does usually take 1 trip every year with it, usually about 2 hours from home. The new TT weighs about 7500 dry and GVWR is about 9850lbs. Advertised tongue weight is 1030lbs

snoty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So we ended up buying a Salem 24RLXL :anitoof::anitoof:

Actually didn't feel bad coming home with it despite the 20mph sustained winds and the hemi whistlin'. Before buying it I installed some 1500# sumosprings - back end didn't even move from what I could tell squat wise. Dealership installed a Husky Centerline WDH - seemed to do it's job.

I do have a little extra funds left over though and thought about upgrading either the sway bar to a hellwig or orderings some clayton offroad lower control arms. Which of these two would give me the better bang for my buck regarding assisting the tow in any manner whatsoever?

I'd like to say I could afford both but with all the "other" stuff that will be needed for the trailer and the trip to AZ coming in two weeks I'm gonna have to make it an either or scenario.

So what's the consensus - hellwig or claytons?
Congrats!!! Lots of additional expenses come with a first TT. I did the hellwig anti sway bar before I knew I was buying a trailer. It helped the overall handling/cornering of the truck, making the rear end feel more connected with the road. It probably helps with some added control with the trailer but I wouldn't know how my setup handled with the stock sway bar.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

roguepra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Step-son just sold his 26' TT and is going shopping Saturday. Looking at a Sundance 324BH. Problem is he has a 2020 Tundra. He has the max tow with a 9800lb max and about 1500lb payload. I told him he is pushing that truck but he leaves the TT at a campground about 30 miles from his house so not bad. He does usually take 1 trip every year with it, usually about 2 hours from home. The new TT weighs about 7500 dry and GVWR is about 9850lbs. Advertised tongue weight is 1030lbs
Had a 2014 Tundra with the 5.7...pulled a 27 xlr with two dressers in the garage.6500# dry and two thousand for the scooters.plus some water for ballast...added air bags and had a blue ox wdh. Not a bit of trouble... but I dont get in the hammer lane and do eighty either..also have about 5 million miles in a seat of a pete ... you can get the things rolling but most people dont leave room for stopping..Ive since graduated to a 40' bighorn and a dually....

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Yep, everyone asks about towing first question they ask is does it have enough power? Important thing is does it have enough brakes to stop...lol

Step-son just called me. He bought a brand new Grand Design Imagine 3250BH. Dry weight is about 8600 so probably closer to about 9300 or so off the lot. His Tundra has a 9800lb tow capacity with about 1500lbs payload. He asked if he can trade me trucks for a day to tow it home (about 2 hours away). He said he is buying the WDH locally and taking it with him and will leave with the TT and go down the road to Wal Mart and install the WDH himself...lol. He said they want $1000 for one installed. He said he can buy the same one for $450 new (E2 or something?).

I might take a vacation day and go with him but will see.

He said he will tow it to his campground with his truck but it's only about 20 miles from his house and he leaves it there all summer. He said he will look into upgrading to a 2500 next year. He just leased this Tundra about 6 months ago.

I towed our 9500lb boat with my truck and my son has a 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK that he tows with a twin to my truck. Weighs about 7500-8000lbs loaded and it tows easily.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Isn't that an SUV, and a Ford Exploder at that?? I wouldn't tow a small boat with one of those. That is NOT a half ton. Its more like a quarter ton. And a tippy one at that, although I am shocked that the Exploder isn't on its side too.
Its an Expedition....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Culmer